Las Vegas Mass Casualty Attack

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
http://www.foxnews.com/opinion/2018...ate-benefits-australias-gun-restrictions.html

Guns save lives and prevent and or mitigate the number of fatalities in mass murder incidents. Those cases don’t get one thousandth of the media attention “successful” mas shooting incidents get.

https://crimeresearch.org/2016/09/uber-driver-in-chicago-stops-mass-public-shooting/

In this recent incident a citizen hero used his own evil and dreaded AR15 to save innocent lives.

https://m.sfgate.com/news/article/I...-it-was-her-12337562.php?cmpid=twitter-mobile

So in using @WreckinGT’s own logic. Since he would disarm innocent law abiding victims...he is then an accomplice of the murderers in these cases and would wish to see the murderers not stopped but instead continue killing innocents. See how that kinda twisted crazy logic works @WreckinGT ?

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
If WreckinGT or any of his loved ones are ever faced with a violent offender, I hope an NRA member is nearby to save them. God knows he will not be able to in any way.

16 companies so far eh? I’m glad they are being vocal on their stance and visible publicly. Will make it easier for me to boycott them.

It’s time to start pushing back. If you value your rights write your representatives and senators at the federal and state levels. The left is ramping up the pressure on them and we need to be heard as well. I’ve never found the need to write to any before on any topic. I just vote and donate. More is needed now if we want to protect our Constitutional rights.

John

Peacekeeper
Staff member
Folks, please keep your emotions in check. Just because someone disagrees with your ideology from whichever side of the fence you sit does not mean they are crazy or dumb. It is ok to have this fence.

As an aside, as much as we have been open to have these types of political discussions here in the lounge, every now and again please remember that this is "Georgia Tech Swarm". If you are that passionate about this particular topic, may I suggest that you check out reddit or some other discussion sites where there are other passionate users to discuss this with?

Thanks all (and of course, Go Jackets)!

Whiskey_Clear

Banned

20 minute delay tracking perp on video was next to useless. Police radios often don’t work inside big buildings like schools, particularly the interior of them without radio repeaters inside them. I’m not sure what was causing the radio system to crash repeatedly but that’s definitely a problem that needs to be corrected.

Lot of tech improvements here could have helped police mitigate the assault.

For those that actually entered anyway. New reports indicating more than one Broward deputy may have failed to enter the scene to confront the shooter. If so that’s crazy. Completely counter to current active shooter training around the country. Maybe Broward S.O. has a training problem department wide or maybe they screwed the pooch with bad communications / orders. Sheriff Israel has some explaining to do.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2018/02/2...ring-florida-school-shooting-report-says.html

Time will tell. Facts still trickling in as per usual.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
And for the record #BoycottNRA is one of the dumbest hashtag social media movements ever. The NRA doesn’t receive funds from private business. They receive funds from private citizens.

Some companies have provided certain discounts to NRA members. Those discounts have benefited the companies in attracting business from NRA members and the NRA members have benefited from targeted discounts.

These companies distancing themselves from the NRA are simply abandoning that prior incentive to attract customers. What percentage of NRA members actually utilized those discounts? I dunno, I wasn’t even aware of them honestly. But I bet it’s a very small percentage. How many NRA members will now take their business elsewhere after this? I bet a pretty high percentage.

This is an example of companies imposing boycotts on themselves. These CEOs are complete dunderheads. Their revenue streams will be impacted negatively.

The revenue stream of the NRA will not be adversely impacted at all. Nil, nada, zilch. They will probably benefit from new membership applications stoked by this however.

smathis30

Ramblin' Wreck
And for the record #BoycottNRA is one of the dumbest hashtag social media movements ever. The NRA doesn’t receive funds from private business. They receive funds from private citizens.

Some companies have provided certain discounts to NRA members. Those discounts have benefited the companies in attracting business from NRA members and the NRA members have benefited from targeted discounts.

These companies distancing themselves from the NRA are simply abandoning that prior incentive to attract customers. What percentage of NRA members actually utilized those discounts? I dunno, I wasn’t even aware of them honestly. But I bet it’s a very small percentage. How many NRA members will now take their business elsewhere after this? I bet a pretty high percentage.

This is an example of companies imposing boycotts on themselves. These CEOs are complete dunderheads. Their revenue streams will be impacted negatively.

The revenue stream of the NRA will not be adversely impacted at all. Nil, nada, zilch. They will probably benefit from new membership applications stoked by this however.

That goes both ways though. As the hashtag implies, people can choose to boycott companies that support the NRA. Its just a matter of them 1. playing into PR from the attacks
2. trying to be on what looks like the majority side. If the surveys are right and over 50% want policy change, i believe that would be a better business decision

3. Its the democrat version of calling for Planned Parenthood's head. They donate a lot of money to people libs generally don't like and hurting the funding would help their policies.

4. From what ive found online, it looks like 10% of their revenue comes from advertisers (and them pulling out) wont hurt a whole lot, but thats still 40 million a year in potential losses. Less than half (~45%) comes from dues and donations, and the other 45% roughly comes from gun sales and the gun industry itself.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
@smathis30

None of the companies cited thus far generate any ad revenue for the NRA.

5 million NRA members vs...how many #boycott members? I’ll bet you lunch it’s less than 5 mil. A lot less. But I’m glad these companies are being visible. It helps me funnel my $ properly.

smathis30

Ramblin' Wreck
@smathis30

None of the companies cited thus far generate any ad revenue for the NRA.

5 million NRA members vs...how many #boycott members? I’ll bet you lunch it’s less than 5 mil. A lot less. But I’m glad these companies are being visible. It helps me funnel my $ properly.
its not from ads. They give money to the NRA and then NRA members receive discounts if they receive services. Boycotting works both ways so you do you. Boycotting the NFL has done wonders so far.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
I’m really not all that concerned with dictionary definitions here. They spend millions of dollars a year buying politicians so that they can block all legislation that might save lives. This directly leads to people dying and they show no remorse for it. At this point they are complicit in every mass murder that happens and therefore are a domestic terrorist organization. In a couple of months when the next round of kids get killed, it will continue to be partially on their hands.

So, like Bill Clinton... it depends upon what your definition of "is" is. Just like oral "sex" in not having sexual relations.
Make up the rules as we go along, as long as they go your way. Got it.

Point being, I'm sure we'd agree on many things, INCLUDING the fact that we don't "mass killings" of school children, mothers, fathers, etc. is a good thing to have happen.
Blathering incomplete "truths" or "made up" stuff won't sway folks that like facts to back up "truth".

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
its not from ads. They give money to the NRA and then NRA members receive discounts if they receive services. Boycotting works both ways so you do you. Boycotting the NFL has done wonders so far.

NFL attendance is on the decline. It’s arguable how much of that is due to the flag / anthem issue. I think the anthem issue has played a part but isn’t the sole reason for the decline.

But I think the 2A issue is much bigger than the NFL controversy. I’ll make a prediction even. I think the #boycott companies are gonna take it on the chin...hard. So much so that they will wish they hadn’t gone down this path to begin with. But they will feel boxed in politically and won’t be able to reverse course. Instead they will eventually come out and say they will have no “ties” to any political group of any affiliation and will offer some other forms of discounts / promos to attempt to replace lost revenues / lure customers. (Maybe pro police...uh oh watch out for BLM boycott, pro educators etc...many businesses like hotels do offer discounts to police, military, educators, etc)

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
Australia has reasonable gun measures. So does Canada.
I think everyone should have the option to own a gun but there should be some common sense regulations and safe guards. Currently the NRA seems to just be flat out against any regulatory measures and then when speaking publicly they come of brutish and unsympathetic.
Also they pick and choose who they support and what they support. Stand your ground laws OK for George Zimmerman but Philando Castile dies in his car after doing everything properly as a gun owner with no uproar from the group. I know what that all about but I wish they didn’t make it so obvious.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Australia has reasonable gun measures. So does Canada.
I think everyone should have the option to own a gun but there should be some common sense regulations and safe guards. Currently the NRA seems to just be flat out against any regulatory measures and then when speaking publicly they come of brutish and unsympathetic.
Also they pick and choose who they support and what they support. Stand your ground laws OK for George Zimmerman but Philando Castile dies in his car after doing everything properly as a gun owner with no uproar from the group. I know what that all about but I wish they didn’t make it so obvious.

The NRA is a pretty diverse group from what I’ve seen. But more whites own firearms than other demographics so there will logically be more white members in the NRA as well. I don’t have any exact stats just my own interactions and first hand knowledge.

The trouble comes in so called “common sense” regulations. AR15s are common sense firearms according the the vast majority of people who favor protecting the 2nd amendment...exact opposite of those who wish to limit 2A.

I really don’t care if gun grabbers think the NRA appears “brutish or unsympathetic” to those who wish to abolish my civil rights.

The Castile shooting was abhorrent. The NRA did not “immediately” condemn the officer involved. The NRA has a track record of not castigating law enforcement in “bad shoots.” True before the Castile incident and true after it. And race doesn’t play a part in that imo. The NRA has also been “silent” when other demographics are involved in similar incidents.

The NRA is in fact a “grass roots” organization. And after the Castile incident it’s own members criticized their own organization on its Facebook page in the immediate days following the incident.

ON July 8 2016 the NRA podcast hist Cam Edwards stared “What we know does not look good. Our right to keep and bear arms is not based on the color of our skin.”

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ner-Philando-Castile-accused-racial-bias.html

Let me reiterate that the NRA does not condemn law enforcement generally. Anti NRA forces utilized the Castile shooting to call on the NRA to condemn the police immediatel. When a statement wasn’t made immediately, anti NRA media attempted to portray this “silence” as evidence of racism in the organization.

For the record Castile was slain (unjustly imo) July 6th. The NRA “statement” in their podcast was made July 7.

So it’s fair to criticize the MRA for being too pro-police. But imo it’s a bit unfair to claim it is racist.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
As for Australia. Glad it has worked out to their own liking. Australia ain’t America and has no Second Amendment.

For every “Australia” I will give you a “Washington D.C.” as a counter. Gun murders skyrocketed after DC banned citizens from owning a handgun, even in their own homes.

We have a unsecured borders to our south, north, and in our ports of entry. We have made it illegal to transport narcotics into the US. Those laws have not stemmed the flow into the country. Even if you confiscated every gun in America, illegal guns would be smuggled in just like illegal drugs. Then only criminals and cops would have guns. Citizens would be completely unprotected. Thanks but no thanks.

Australia does not have reasonable gun restrictions. Neither does Canada. Canadian cops can’t even carry guns while off duty legally.