#KSUvsGT Postgame

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
My thoughts:
Good stuff
-team looked much more prepared for this game. So I give the coaching staff credit on that.
- Yates might not have the natural talent /strongest arm, but he’s a leader, makes the throws he needs to and runs the offense well. Reminds me of tevin washington running the offense. He had a great game and should definitely be starting moving forward.
-defense looked pretty solid almost the whole game outside of the 2 plays late. I’ve been personally the most disappointed in Thacker, but today the defense looked sound.
- we made a FG! Barely…but we made it!
- Charlie Thomas, dude is just a baller.

the bad:
- OL, we are still really struggling here. I don’t know if it’s a key coaching problem, or just natural talent, or both? But we cannot hold blocks on runs or pass plays and we are giving guys no room at all to run the ball. Gibbs gets eaten up at the LOS or backfield almost every play. We can’t even get consistent push against NIU or KSU, how are we going to move Clemson or any of the ACC? I noticed we starting going to a double pull/counter on all run plays in the 2nd half. I assume this was because CDP saw we couldn’t block on our normal scheme.
- wasn’t juanyeh supposed to be fast? He gets burned so many times, but the worst part was watching him basically jogging after the runner on their long running TD on the option pitch. He looks like he’s running about 75% speed and basically gives up on the tackle, idk what was going on there, but that was disappointing to see.
this matches my thoughts pretty much to a T. Although it hurts to replace PH I think the Irish kid is going to be okay. I love watching touchbacks!!! It seems like it has been years since we have seen them. We seem to have nice slot receivers in McGowan and McCollum. Our interior D line looks bigger than it has in years (forever?). i am excited to see what Stone and Biggers and Chimedza can become in time.

Hats off to KSU. they competed hard and it was fun seeing that offense again. It was like watching us a few years back. Grinding and applying pressure until something breaks like it did twice in the 4th quarter. It was also like us in that they would move the ball fairly well but you you need to constantly play perfect on every play when you are picking up 3 or 4 yards a play. They moved the ball well and ate up some clock which is exactly what you would expect. I kept waiting for the announcers (who were marginal at best) to say "this offense isn't designed for 3rd and long" but alas, they let me down. KSU will be a tough out for anyone in their own division.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
I kept waiting for the announcers (who were marginal at best) to say "this offense isn't designed for 3rd and long" but alas, they let me down. KSU will be a tough out for anyone in their own division.
They did say it wasn't built to come from behind, or something to that effect. Brought back memories...

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
I think Yates earned the start against Clemson. Kid is well spoken, likeable, and a leader.
FIFY. What I got from watching Yates will Milton to the state championship in his senior year is that he can lead. He gets the team down the field by hook or crook. He's also very accurate with his throws - 74% completions this week.

So why wasn't he starting before? He was so-so against strong opponents last year and Sims was more effective, but I think it comes down to height. We just saw this above: "He'll have trouble completing passes down the middle." This is a major myth at all levels of football. Russel Wilson is 5'11", Joe Theisman is 6', Fran Tarkenton is 6', and so on. (I won't even mention Eddie LaBaron.) And, of course, Joe Hamilton is 5'10". I never noticed any of these people having trouble spotting receivers down field.

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
From a student, y’all boomers need to up the enthusiasm! We are trying to foster another generation of Tech die hards. stay the whole game, get loud, show out! We can’t have game after game where the stand empty at half, and expect the students to care.
When I was a student... we didn't have iPhones, PCs, or boomers to point fingers at.

We managed to win a National championship. 😅

...checking the thickness of your skin, kid.

THWG!

wesgt123

Helluva Engineer
I like the fluidity with Yates. That’s gotta be the missing ingredient compared with him and Yates. Our O line is still suspect. One play in the second half as soon as the ball was snapped, a lineman got knocked flat on his butt. I don’t remember the outcome of the play but it wasn’t what I was expecting to see.

either way, good to see us win hhandedly. We looked much more prepared. Go tech

slugboy

Staff member
this matches my thoughts pretty much to a T. Although it hurts to replace PH I think the Irish kid is going to be okay. I love watching touchbacks!!! It seems like it has been years since we have seen them. We seem to have nice slot receivers in McGowan and McCollum. Our interior D line looks bigger than it has in years (forever?). i am excited to see what Stone and Biggers and Chimedza can become in time.

Hats off to KSU. they competed hard and it was fun seeing that offense again. It was like watching us a few years back. Grinding and applying pressure until something breaks like it did twice in the 4th quarter. It was also like us in that they would move the ball fairly well but you you need to constantly play perfect on every play when you are picking up 3 or 4 yards a play. They moved the ball well and ate up some clock which is exactly what you would expect. I kept waiting for the announcers (who were marginal at best) to say "this offense isn't designed for 3rd and long" but alas, they let me down. KSU will be a tough out for anyone in their own division.

1. I enjoyed seeing that offense too.
  2. Brian Jordan played safety for the Falcons, and should know the game pretty well. I think of Bob Rathbun as a basketball announcer. In third and long, most players think “pass”, because it’s hard to run and convert 3 and 14. However, the flexbone is kind of a lateral passing offense with the pitches, and gets around defenders a lot.
  3. I thought about how rough it is to be a radio play-by-play person for a flexbone offense. You have to read out the plays so quickly. Rathbun did not do a good play by play for either offense. If your picture was out, you’d have no idea of where the ball was. You’d barely know the score.
  4. Bohannon did a good job prepping his team.
Given how the starters played in week 1, I have no problem with the coach keeping them in to continue improving.
I can see why, if the starting QB stays in for almost all of the game that people would think we left the starters in the entire time. It was mentioned earlier that we rotated every position but QB and “backups” came in for the second half.
Usually, the starting QB comes out first, and other starters rotate out later, but we did the reverse of that today.

ETA: The participation report thread is up. We went fairly deep. Not “170lb math major walk on” deep, but a healthy rotation.

Last edited:

Tjacket

Jolly Good Fellow
We got a win. Sure beats losing. We aren't ready to compete with Clemson. I will be happy to come out the game with

2. Brian Jordan played safety for the Falcons, and should know the game pretty well. I think of Bob Rathbun as a basketball announcer. In third and long, most players think “pass”, because it’s hard to run and convert 3 and 14. However, the flexbone is kind of a lateral passing offense with the pitches, and gets around defenders a lot.
  3. I thought about how rough it is to be a radio play-by-play person for a flexbone offense. You have to read out the plays so quickly. Rathbun did not do a good play by play for either offense. If your picture was out, you’d have no idea of where the ball was. You’d barely know the score.

I can see why, if the starting QB stays in for almost all of the game that people would think we left the starters in the entire time. It was mentioned earlier that we rotated every position but QB and “backups” came in for the second half.
Usually, the starting QB comes out first, and other starters rotate out later, but we did the reverse of that

Usually, the starting QB comes out first, and other starters rotate out later, but we did the reverse of that today.
Yes we need to stop using the shot gun offense 100% of the time. Need to be under center when near the goal line to avoid any yds lost. Be cause of penetration from the defense.

brian22

Jolly Good Fellow
Good and well coached game today. Had this been the first game of the season, I’m sure there’d be optimism across the board. I know strong personalities don’t back off of strong opinions previously stated, but hopefully folks will keep an open optimistic mind going forward. Life is hard enough without pessimism for your own team. Go Jackets!

SandySpringsJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Yes, it was a lower division team, but
  • Yates has a ~78% completion rate
  • We can pass
  • McGowan looks great—he’s a gamer
  • Carter has some speed
  • We got into a backfield and caused some havoc. Domineck created a lot of havoc.
  • We had highlight plays
  • Charlie Thomas is having a great season so far
  • A tight end caught the ball
And we have cut down on off-sides, holding and personal fouls... showing more discipline and not beating ourselves.

SandySpringsJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
I was at the game and liked what I saw. Yates is a real gamer. He is in control of the team, does not make dumb mistakes, can get out of trouble in the pocket, and is an accurate passer. Just wish he was 6-2. Of course I wished Joe Hamilton was as well.
We need to get more fans in the stadium. Thank goodness KSU brought a lot of fans or it would have really looked empty. I understand the frustration after last week, but the crowd was very small for the opener as well. I hope we will have a big crowd for NC at the Benz, but that may depend on how we play at Clemson.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
I guess the guys that posted 50 pages last week will sit this one out.
Lol. Not even the same discussion. We made some mistakes today too and still didn’t do a great job establishing the run on offense. Yates looks good and is encouraging for sure. I’m not crazy about our offense. Not much creativity at all. We seem to just call plays to call them rather than set them up. Won’t work well consistently.

wvGT11

Helluva Engineer
I was at the game and liked what I saw. Yates is a real gamer. He is in control of the team, does not make dumb mistakes, can get out of trouble in the pocket, and is an accurate passer. Just wish he was 6-2. Of course I wished Joe Hamilton was as well.
We need to get more fans in the stadium. Thank goodness KSU brought a lot of fans or it would have really looked empty. I understand the frustration after last week, but the crowd was very small for the opener as well. I hope we will have a big crowd for NC at the Benz, but that may depend on how we play at Clemson.
Noon games have always been an issue for us crowd wise unfortunately. Now if the team gets a good win streak we may see a different story for a night game