#KSUvsGT Postgame

wvGT11

Helluva Engineer
I agree with that. I don't get the love for Sims. Maybe he shows more in practice, but Yates has out-performed him on the field.
That's the thing, obviously coaches see something in Sims. But until he gets his mental game settled down he is a liability.

Obviously more starts helps, but I'm not sure Clemson is the right game to practice his mental game

GT_B

Ramblin' Wreck
My thoughts:
Good stuff
-team looked much more prepared for this game. So I give the coaching staff credit on that.
- Yates might not have the natural talent /strongest arm, but he’s a leader, makes the throws he needs to and runs the offense well. Reminds me of tevin washington running the offense. He had a great game and should definitely be starting moving forward.
-defense looked pretty solid almost the whole game outside of the 2 plays late. I’ve been personally the most disappointed in Thacker, but today the defense looked sound.
- we made a FG! Barely…but we made it!
- Charlie Thomas, dude is just a baller.

the bad:
- OL, we are still really struggling here. I don’t know if it’s a key coaching problem, or just natural talent, or both? But we cannot hold blocks on runs or pass plays and we are giving guys no room at all to run the ball. Gibbs gets eaten up at the LOS or backfield almost every play. We can’t even get consistent push against NIU or KSU, how are we going to move Clemson or any of the ACC? I noticed we starting going to a double pull/counter on all run plays in the 2nd half. I assume this was because CDP saw we couldn’t block on our normal scheme.
- wasn’t juanyeh supposed to be fast? He gets burned so many times, but the worst part was watching him basically jogging after the runner on their long running TD on the option pitch. He looks like he’s running about 75% speed and basically gives up on the tackle, idk what was going on there, but that was disappointing to see.

GTBandit22

Helluva Engineer
Just got home from the game.
This is what I expected last week. Overpower them. Yates had a great game. Onto the real deal.
we have to get donate more touches. Great job by the D, except the pass after the onside.

not much to say except we took care of business. Next week is the real test.

Pointer

Helluva Engineer
Good to see the staff can get everyone refocused after a bad loss. KSU is FCS, but they are a really good FCS team (even without starting QB). Keep working, hopefully the focus continues and we have a relatively quiet social media weeks from here out.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
I'd say we did just above the bare minimum. We won the game, and it was never really in question. But we played the starters the whole game - why no backups when we are up 4 scores? At the same time, the offense should have been blowing them out, but we didn't seem to have many plays over 20 yards. Stats say we were TFL 10 times, is that right? Didn't think they were in the backfield that much. Idk I'm a bit inebriated, I just know we won.
You are indeed inebriated.

We played backups throughout the second half at all positions except QB. DBs, LB, DE, DT rotated. Our OL had several backups in as did WR. RB went 4 deep.

We averaged 15 yards per completion.

We tackled them for 10 TFL, not the other way around.

In other words, it could be argued that the entirety of your post is… inaccurate 😉

stech81

Helluva Engineer
Well, this is the thing. Sims looks the part. He is bigger, faster, stronger arm, so on and so forth. I can certainly understand the coaches preference for him in a big game.
I like Sims but he has not shown me much on the passing game. Yates reads the defense better. With Clemson defense I'm not sure it matters which one starts.
As for the game we did what we should have done. A little surprised our OL didn't do a little better on the run. Looking on the field it seem our OL was 6 to 8 inches tall then them. The attendance was poor maybe 30k but I'm sure they will show it more.

Pointer

Helluva Engineer

We played backups throughout the second half at all positions except QB. DBs, LB, DE, DT rotated. Our OL had several backups in as did WR. RB went 4 deep.

In other words, it could be argued that the entirety of your post is… inaccurate 😉
The Office Boom GIF

Sorry @yeti92 lol

IslandsofGaunilo

Georgia Tech Fan
Was it just me or did it seem like Donte Smith was better today than the other backs at waiting patiently for the OL to open up a running lane?
I agree: he was very impressive. The drive where he scored is what I want to see more of, in that we kept the ball on the ground, found a play that was working, and stuck with it. By the way, and I don't know if it is only me, but Gibbs just looks off thus far. He by no means looks bad, so please don't misinterpret this comment; he just looks a step slow and less elusive than he did last season.

Sean311

Helluva Engineer
Great game overall. We completely dominated them in every facet of the game. Good to see. Now be somewhat competitive against Clemson then I’ll start believing.

yeti92

Helluva Engineer

Us having 10 TFL makes a lot more sense. Starters were definitely in in the second half though, I know Juanyeh was.

Edit yea we still had a ton of starters in the second half. McGowan played most of the game. May have been subbing some guys, but definitely wasn't all subs.

Last edited:

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
pretty solid play overall. I was disappointed in pass defense on their late scores. We weren't real successful on the RB off guard in the second half except Dontae hit some nice runs. Charlie "the hit man" Thomas had a big game today. Yates looking better and better. made some nice throws. Biggers is a big dude. got a lot of PT. was the Cooper that got hurt. if so he came back and played.