#KSUvsGT Postgame

Treb1982

Jolly Good Fellow
Am I the only one who saw our O line get dominated by a d2 school? We couldn't run the ball up the middle we couldn't run a pass with a 5 step drop with out Yates having to scramble. .. Anyone happy with this win needs the watch tape. O-line sucks and its going to be awful next week... if i was Yates i would pull a hamstring in practice this week so I don't get seriously hurt. there is no way we score more than 7 points

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
Another thing that was impressive...Mason absolutely brought the lumber today as a blocking back. He decleated a few guys.

Also, I did like the targeting calls...and the reversals. In real time I could see how the flags were thrown but credit the refs for picking up the flads. several big hits out there today from both squads.
Agreed. So glad to see common sense prevail.

gt24

Jolly Good Fellow
Juanyeh and Tariq I want on my side in a street fight but they shouldn’t be on the field with our talent upgrade at those positions. They are liabilities.
if AT was not a prime recruiting target (top 100 nationally), would Rey have been fielding punts week 1? would Juanyeh still be starting at safety?

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
Am I the only one who saw our O line get dominated by a d2 school? We couldn't run the ball up the middle we couldn't run a pass with a 5 step drop with out Yates having to scramble. .. Anyone happy with this win needs the watch tape. O-line sucks and its going to be awful next week... if i was Yates i would pull a hamstring in practice this week so I don't get seriously hurt. there is no way we score more than 7 points
No, we all saw it and as for me, the OL play is mystifying.

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
Yeah, next week is the biggest test to date for Collins. Unfortunately, we are to the point where a passing grade is losing by 21 or less. Man have we fallen. But the good news is watching the dumpster fire that is the ACC means we’ll get lost in the shuffle - I’m looking at you FSU and Miami.

MonroeJacket

GT Athlete
Naw, but you’re the only one who thinks KSU is a “d2” school.

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
We can argue this all day long but Charlie Thomas, for my money, is the best football player on that team. Gentlemen start your arguing.
Only the blind can argue that.
Us having 10 TFL makes a lot more sense. Starters were definitely in in the second half though, I know Juanyeh was.

Edit yea we still had a ton of starters in the second half. McGowan played most of the game. May have been subbing some guys, but definitely wasn't all subs.

We did sub a lot but the sub plan this week was much improved, that is it did not so disrupt the game. Coaches stepped up to improve several problems from last week.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
... I was disappointed that we didn't take two knees after the under one minute mark in the fourth quarter. Even though we ran some simple up the middle plays per. I really thought after Yates did his slide on the first downplay that we would show some class and take a couple of knees to run out the clock. I thought it was poor class/coaching to keep running plays that might have broken through and had a score. JMO

gville_jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
FIFY. What I got from watching Yates will Milton to the state championship in his senior year is that he can lead. He gets the team down the field by hook or crook. He's also very accurate with his throws - 74% completions this week.

So why wasn't he starting before? He was so-so against strong opponents last year and Sims was more effective, but I think it comes down to height. We just saw this above: "He'll have trouble completing passes down the middle." This is a major myth at all levels of football. Russel Wilson is 5'11", Joe Theisman is 6', Fran Tarkenton is 6', and so on. (I won't even mention Eddie LaBaron.) And, of course, Joe Hamilton is 5'10". I never noticed any of these people having trouble spotting receivers down field.
Russell Wilson is the only relevant reference you used. QB’s from 30 years ago isn’t relevant because lineman are bigger and longer now than they were then. Better example would be Baker Mayfield and Kyler Murray.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
... I was disappointed that we didn't take two knees after the under one minute mark in the fourth quarter. Even though we ran some simple up the middle plays per. I really thought after Yates did his slide on the first downplay that we would show some class and take a couple of knees to run out the clock. I thought it was poor class/coaching to keep running plays that might have broken through and had a score. JMO
OL needed more reps.

gville_jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
  1. I enjoyed seeing that offense too.
  2. Brian Jordan played safety for the Falcons, and should know the game pretty well. I think of Bob Rathbun as a basketball announcer. In third and long, most players think “pass”, because it’s hard to run and convert 3 and 14. However, the flexbone is kind of a lateral passing offense with the pitches, and gets around defenders a lot.
  3. I thought about how rough it is to be a radio play-by-play person for a flexbone offense. You have to read out the plays so quickly. Rathbun did not do a good play by play for either offense. If your picture was out, you’d have no idea of where the ball was. You’d barely know the score.
  4. Bohannon did a good job prepping his team.

I can see why, if the starting QB stays in for almost all of the game that people would think we left the starters in the entire time. It was mentioned earlier that we rotated every position but QB and “backups” came in for the second half.
Usually, the starting QB comes out first, and other starters rotate out later, but we did the reverse of that today.

ETA: The participation report thread is up. We went fairly deep. Not “170lb math major walk on” deep, but a healthy rotation.
I saw most of the starting OL in during the 4th quarter. That rotation was minimal

gville_jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
My thoughts:
1) Our team cannot stay focused and finish strong. It is insanely frustrating to watch the chunk plays we gave up today, but it's also the empty drives when it's time to demonstrate a killer instinct. We need to find a way to get that instinct, because it's cost us 1 loss already.
2) Yates is a gamer. I see why the coaches prefer Sims and think we would've seen him today if he really was good to go for anything but an absolute emergency. That being said, we need to ride the hot hand in Yates.
3) YAC. Good to see some from McGowan, that is a missing element in our offense.
4) OL play is still terrible considering the opponent. In the run game, something seems different than last year in how we're designing our blocking schemes but I'm going strictly off memory. Has anyone done the film study on the comparison between last year and now?
5) Stone and Biggers were making their presence known. Hard to really tell too much considering opponent and scheme, but I'm hoping they come into their own. DE play is improved YOY.
6) 25!!! Great game by Thomas. Again, unusual scheme for this week, but based on last week as well I'm beginning to feel optimistic about LB play.
Right! How great was Charlie today! They were mentioning in the broadcast he’s beating out Jackson for the start. I felt very good about Jackson playing so if he’s beating him out, amazing.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
Russell Wilson is the only relevant reference you used. QB’s from 30 years ago isn’t relevant because lineman are bigger and longer now than they were then. Better example would be Baker Mayfield and Kyler Murray.
I had a spare minute so I looked up the starting lineup on OL for Tech's 10 - 2 1998 team. Average height = 6'4.5". Average weight = 306. Admittedly, this is skewed by Jon Carman, but Joe Hamilton didn't have any trouble passing over him either.

Tech93

Helluva Engineer
Positives:
We have a QB in Yates
RBs and receivers look good for the most
Special teams looked better than last week
Charlie Thomas is the bright side on D as well as Jordan
Negatives:
O line doesn’t look good
D on the whole worries me

gville_jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
I had a spare minute so I looked up the starting lineup on OL for Tech's 10 - 2 1998 team. Average height = 6'4.5". Average weight = 306. Admittedly, this is skewed by Jon Carman, but Joe Hamilton didn't have any trouble passing over him either.
Joe Ham was not an example he had used. Plus Joe Ham was 1999 not 1980. That’s still a 19 year difference. Still kinda proving my point