#KSUvsGT Postgame

cthenrys

Ramblin' Wreck
No, the poor take is people watching CGC's pressers and expecting something different. Like his approach or not, he's not going to change. So, if it gets your blood pressure up, don't watch his pressers. They're not intended for the general public anyway. They're designed to give reporters an opportunity to gather information for articles they're writing. There is plenty of other information out there.

And what evidence do you have that "so many tech fans have stopped watching the game...?" I'm pretty sure our TV numbers are up, not down. So, I'd say there are probably more eyes on Tech games, not less. If you're talking about butts in the stands, well, that's been going down everywhere. Not sure that's a valid statement.
I listened to the Coach's show and what a difference listening to Marco Coleman. You just get a completely different appreciation of how he views his players, the preparation, etc.. I think I heard CGC say at least three times that Clemson was "very multiple". I admit my skepticism freely, but you really wonder if there is just a different level of football knowledge between CGC and his staff beyond just willingness to share it.

And to the earlier comment about going to buffet, if I go to a buffet, I'm expecting to eat (a lot ??). If as a fan, I take time to listen to our HC in a presser or a weekly show, I'm really interested in hearing the HC talk football. If all I get is word salad and catchphrases, is it my problem if I walk away from the buffet hungry ?

And lastly, for CGC, I don't really care what you did at Temple... Sorry.

slugboy

Staff member
Exactly. Target audience is the young athlete. However, the potential problem when you try to talk over the press to a different audience is that if the press feels they are being dissed, and not getting the facts, they retaliate by writing whatever they want about you.
They’re going to write their story, so you tell yours
I listened to the Coach's show and what a difference listening to Marco Coleman. You just get a completely different appreciation of how he views his players, the preparation, etc.. I think I heard CGC say at least three times that Clemson was "very multiple". I admit my skepticism freely, but you really wonder if there is just a different level of football knowledge between CGC and his staff beyond just willingness to share it.

And to the earlier comment about going to buffet, if I go to a buffet, I'm expecting to eat (a lot ??). If as a fan, I take time to listen to our HC in a presser or a weekly show, I'm really interested in hearing the HC talk football. If all I get is word salad and catchphrases, is it my problem if I walk away from the buffet hungry ?

That is how coaches talk to each other and the terms they use

cthenrys

Ramblin' Wreck
They’re going to write their story, so you tell yours

That is how coaches talk to each other and the terms they use
I get it, but how many guys use this in an external discussion with zero context. He doesn't say "they're very multiple so we have to really think about personnel assignments" or "they're multiple so we've spent extra time on eye discipline" or... He just says, they are multiple, and we need to get better and play at a high level, blah blah blah. His staff does not talk like that. I can't really think of any other coaches that I have heard who do the same. I could be incredibly wrong - I'm much more of a baseball guy so outside of GT football I don't really pay that close attention to how coaches speak in those settings .... I know when you see other top coaches in pressers, they don't talk like that.

The delta between CGC and his staff when you hear them speak (or between CGC and any other HC we have had in my time as a fan since 1988) is pretty massive, imho...

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
If the solution to the problem is to stop watching, we can just agree to disagree on this then. The alternative is that you think his pressers are not a problem, on which we can also just disagree. There is no point in debating that. Right. I have no problem with his press conferences. They're not for me, I'm not his audience, and he's not lost his audience.

Fan attendance has been going down everywhere, but GT's attendance problems are worse than for other schools. Attendance on opening night was the smallest crowd since 1995! Right. Our attendence is not going down any quicker than anyone else's, so you're creating a strawman argument to support your unsupportable conclusion. Fact is that the eyeballs are actually going up, they're just not at stadiums.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
It looks to me like some Tech fans are whistling past the graveyard. If we should quit watching pressers when we don’t like what we hear, should we also quit watching the games if we don’t like what we see?

Kudos to the team and coaching staff for the win but I really think he probably shouldn’t have touted the ATL theory after beating an FCS team. The ATL theory would work most of the time at Bammer since they are so deep. However, it appears that the ATL only works for us 50% of the time against FCS teams.

It seems like the opinions of fans and alums aren’t way up there for coach. Interesting.

I think we do have more talent than we’ve had in a while but I feel like we are Ocean’s 11 without Daniel Ocean or the A-Team without Hannibal. Forget Clemson. I want to see a plan come together against a middle-of-the-road P5 team. Then I’ll start buying into the ATL. Until then, I will just assume that most kids will practice harder trying to earn a starting position if they don’t see much playing time.
You need to do whatever works for you. If it gives you heartburn to watch his press conferences (that aren't intended for you), stop watching them. If you can't get past what he's putting on the field and stopping watching the games is what works for you, go for it. Not really how I would describe a fan, but you continue being you.

I don't get bothered by what he says, ever. I get bothered by what I see on the field, but I don't let the words bother me. If I did, I'd stop watching his pressers. If he keeps crapping the bed, I'll have plenty of comments after the season when I'm done cheering the Brave and Bold.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
I get it, but how many guys use this in an external discussion with zero context. He doesn't say "they're very multiple so we have to really think about personnel assignments" or "they're multiple so we've spent extra time on eye discipline" or... He just says, they are multiple, and we need to get better and play at a high level, blah blah blah. His staff does not talk like that. I can't really think of any other coaches that I have heard who do the same. I could be incredibly wrong - I'm much more of a baseball guy so outside of GT football I don't really pay that close attention to how coaches speak in those settings .... I know when you see other top coaches in pressers, they don't talk like that.

The delta between CGC and his staff when you hear them speak (or between CGC and any other HC we have had in my time as a fan since 1988) is pretty massive, imho...
He's talking to sports reporters who should understand the lingo. Just because the SID records this and puts it on YouTube doesn't mean you're his intended audience. If it were, they'd mic the reporters.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer

Coach's show is for the fans. He needs to cater his answers to the fans. He should be aware of his audience. I have not seen that, so I have no comment.

GT_05

Helluva Engineer
You need to do whatever works for you. If it gives you heartburn to watch his press conferences (that aren't intended for you), stop watching them. If you can't get past what he's putting on the field and stopping watching the games is what works for you, go for it. Not really how I would describe a fan, but you continue being you.

I don't get bothered by what he says, ever. I get bothered by what I see on the field, but I don't let the words bother me. If I did, I'd stop watching his pressers. If he keeps crapping the bed, I'll have plenty of comments after the season when I'm done cheering the Brave and Bold.
My question was rhetorical, which seems to be lost on you. It is laughable for you to encourage fans to ignore what CGC says during pressers since you’ve decided that they aren’t intended for fans anyway. Regardless, thanks for giving me encouragement to do what works for me. I will definitely sleep better tonight.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
My question was rhetorical, which seems to be lost on you. It is laughable for you to encourage fans to ignore what CGC says during pressers since you’ve decided that they aren’t intended for fans anyway. Regardless, thanks for giving me encouragement to do what works for me. I will definitely sleep better tonight.
Good one there! What's laughable is that you insist on watching CGC's press conferences, intended for the press, and then proceed to get triggered by it. I'm encouraging anyone who gets triggered by his press conferences to avoid his press conferences. Seems pretty simple logic, but if you need help with that, here you go (again). A definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over expecting a different outcome. If it triggers you, don't watch it. Pretty simple. You're welcome.

GT_05

Helluva Engineer
Good one there! What's laughable is that you insist on watching CGC's press conferences, intended for the press, and then proceed to get triggered by it. I'm encouraging anyone who gets triggered by his press conferences to avoid his press conferences. Seems pretty simple logic, but if you need help with that, here you go (again). A definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over expecting a different outcome. If it triggers you, don't watch it. Pretty simple. You're welcome.
Simple logic or maybe one has to be simple to understand your logic?

The press is a creator of media and they take the source information and create articles from it…wait for it…to deliver it to others. Since we can hear the pressers ourselves, we can make our own deductions and we don’t have to wait to be spoon fed by the press. Well, most of us don’t have to wait anyway.

Last edited:

tomknight

Ramblin' Wreck
You're correct, but isn't it a bit of an issue that the best solution is for a segment of the most fanatic members of the fan base is to not watch the HC's pressers ?
Did every fan want to watch CPJ, or any other coach's, press conferences?

Different people like different things. That's what makes the world go round.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
Simple logic or maybe one has to be simple to understand your logic?

The press is a creator of media and they take the source information and create articles from it…wait for it…to deliver it to others. Since we can hear the pressers ourselves, we can make our own deductions and we don’t have to wait to be spoon fed by the press. Well, most of us don’t have to wait anyway.
I 100% agree with you. But, what YOU are hearing from his press conferences isn't necessarily what the paid media members are hearing from the press conferences. Since the press conferences are for those creating the media, he's focusing his message on them, not you. You just get to tag along for free. So, if what you're hearing in the pressers is different than what's being written (and it appears to be so), then the message (wait for it) to its intended audience (i.e. media and then the general public THROUGH the media), is right on point.

So, once again, if his pressers trigger you, don't watch them. Read the articles written by the media and be a much happier fan.