Ken's article on Pastner's recruiting misses for 2019

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
The rest of us lookin at the rest of yall ...

zpWoU.gif

You have this movie on VHS, right?

I absolutely have it on DVD, right in between my copies of Just Friends & Old School. This is a 100% true statement.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Come on man, now you're arguing just to be difficult...which I get, because I'm guilty of it (alot...:whistle:). You're smart enough to know the difference between each and the overall review of what happened to this class.

Eat more haagen daz...

Wait... are you not arguing to be difficult? Your whole argument appears to rest on the notion that "Ken's only doing his job" for the wider audience that isn't aware. I'm saying, he already did his job delivering all of these things to his audience and today's article is redundant with no value added.

It's really interesting how he reiterates the Autumn misses, but glosses over the addition of Jordan Usher. On the one hand, a Christian Keeling transfer might count towards recruiting, especially since we can lose him to UNC, but let's skip over that Usher is already in the fold, working out at GT, at a position of need as a versatile, athletic perimeter player. Convenient how that notion is not further developed, despite also being entirely factual. Didn't even occur to him that Usher's addition likely renders the Watson miss moot in the near-term.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Wait... are you not arguing to be difficult? Your whole argument appears to rest on the notion that "Ken's only doing his job" for the wider audience that isn't aware. I'm saying, he already did his job delivering all of these things to his audience and today's article is redundant with no value added.

It's really interesting how he reiterates the Autumn misses, but glosses over the addition of Jordan Usher. On the one hand, a Christian Keeling transfer might count towards recruiting, especially since we can lose him to UNC, but let's skip over that Usher is already in the fold, working out at GT, at a position of need as a versatile, athletic perimeter player. Convenient how that notion is not further developed, despite also being entirely factual. Didn't even occur to him that Usher's addition likely renders the Watson miss moot in the near-term.

Reviews are by nature redundant. It has no value to you, and to a certain extent a lot of us on here because we all do a good job sharing what we know. Not every GT fan has the luxury of poring over this board every day. That's what today's article is...a review on who we got, who we didn't get, and what's out there to get on the first day of signing day for those who actually have a life outside messageboards. The article you mentioned was from six months ago, and GT's recruiting landscape has changed...and you admitted as much by referring to Usher, who Ken does mention but maybe not to the depth you want. We've gotten Price since then as well. Reach...I mean Didenko was our only commit at the time, and he's expected to be a reach somewhere else. Sure all of that may have been touched on individually, but not all in one place on signing day.

I think he was being VERY fair by saying we missed on Watson, but if not for extenuating family circumstances, he would be at GT. Same for our post prospect who decided to stay out west. I don't think he was putting GT in a bad spotlight, just stating facts. Heck, in the very same article you linked to from six months ago even Pastner was pretty confident we would land some top tier prospects...and it didn't come to fruition. As another poster said, we all see what we want to see. For some reason quite a few don't like Ken's style. To me, he's just another writer in a long line of writers from the AJC. They come and go, but IMO, Ken has been fair to GT, and has put out some good pieces since Geoff Collins has been hired.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Reviews are by nature redundant. It has no value to you, and to a certain extent a lot of us on here because we all do a good job sharing what we know. Not every GT fan has the luxury of poring over this board every day. That's what today's article is...a review on who we got, who we didn't get, and what's out there to get on the first day of signing day for those who actually have a life outside messageboards. The article you mentioned was from six months ago, and GT's recruiting landscape has changed...and you admitted as much by referring to Usher, who Ken does mention but maybe not to the depth you want. We've gotten Price since then as well. Reach...I mean Didenko was our only commit at the time, and he's expected to be a reach somewhere else. Sure all of that may have been touched on individually, but not all in one place on signing day.

I think he was being VERY fair by saying we missed on Watson, but if not for extenuating family circumstances, he would be at GT. Same for our post prospect who decided to stay out west. I don't think he was putting GT in a bad spotlight, just stating facts. Heck, in the very same article you linked to from six months ago even Pastner was pretty confident we would land some top tier prospects...and it didn't come to fruition. As another poster said, we all see what we want to see. For some reason quite a few don't like Ken's style. To me, he's just another writer in a long line of writers from the AJC. They come and go, but IMO, Ken has been fair to GT, and has put out some good pieces since Geoff Collins has been hired.

Your defense of him is a defense of inconsistency being acceptable.

Pastner was wrong in believing he'd land a "great" player in Watson. Factual & mentioned in-depth.

Pastner lands Usher, a "change in landscape" for GT that you believe adds credence for a review. Jordan is a player, at minimum, on par with Watson's ability/skill/athleticism, with the exception of remaining eligibility.

We missed on a top tier player in Watson 6 months ago, thorough discussion today. We land a comparable player in Usher 4 months ago, little more than a sentence today.

I don't need him to pump up GT and I'm certainly not defending Pastner's 2019 recruiting results, but be thorough, factual, & consistent. This article was neither thorough, nor consistent and that is a fact about Ken's writing, in general.

gtphd

Jolly Good Fellow
Terrible? The plague was terrible. World Wars are terrible. Not having health insurance is terrible.

An old building burning down is unfortunate. No one died, and I thank the good lord no one did.
This is absolutely idiotic. 850 years of history were lost. Artifacts burned, Art was stained black, historic architecture was lost forever. Even the beams that made up the roof were 800+ years old and made from trees that are now extinct. To make light of such a global travesty is sophomoric and reflects poorly on our fan base.

mstranahan

Helluva Engineer
We missed on a top tier player in Watson 6 months ago, thorough discussion today. We land a comparable player in Usher 4 months ago,

Per RSCI
Jordan Usher not ranked in top 100 for 2017
Marcus Watson consensus #69 in 2019

According to all the "experts" (none named Ken S), Watson would've been a much higher potential add. I'm not saying they're right or wrong. Just bringing facts that AJC may have considered more heavily than your opinion when writing their story.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Per RSCI

According to all the "experts" (none named Ken S), Watson would've been a much higher potential add. I'm not saying they're right or wrong. Just bringing facts that AJC may have considered more heavily than your opinion when writing their story.

Yes. Subjective data points based on a given year's crop of prospects are "facts".

If you're gonna rest your argument on that, I've got a luxury home in Durham next to Zion's parents to sell you.

ESPNjacket

Helluva Engineer
Ken is terrible at his job. He doesn't understand the sports he covers. He asks questions that the dumbest and least informed people on this board would ask. Pastner suffers fools pretty well so he probably isn't that annoyed by it.

That paper decided a long time ago it would not pay for talent. There is a reason Ken has stayed.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
Per RSCI

There is an advantage to actually watching a kid play. Watson, while potentially a talent upgrade for us, wasn’t really “all dat” and that’s not just because he didn’t come here, a few of us had these conversations during the process.

I’d rather have Usher.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
This is more important than anything else y'all are talking about ITT.

I'm going to get some Haa-gen .. daaz tonite? Give me flavor suggestions.

I mean it this time.

Green Tea
Cherry Vanilla
Mint Chocolate Chip (honestly, your best option)

GT_EE78

Banned
Is anyone else wondering about "Didenko not expected to enroll" and whether or not that means GT has to hold his scholly spot open until he "doesnt enroll" in september? or could we fill that spot now?

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
I'll give an update tonite. I see a bourbon vanilla something. How's that?

Sounds like mint/choc/chip is the fallback.

ESPNjacket

Helluva Engineer
Is anyone else wondering about "Didenko not expected to enroll" and whether or not that means GT has to hold his scholly spot open until he "doesnt enroll" in september? or could we fill that spot now?

The concept of "has to hold" a scholarship does not exist.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Your defense of him is a defense of inconsistency being acceptable.

Pastner was wrong in believing he'd land a "great" player in Watson. Factual & mentioned in-depth.

Pastner lands Usher, a "change in landscape" for GT that you believe adds credence for a review. Jordan is a player, at minimum, on par with Watson's ability/skill/athleticism, with the exception of remaining eligibility.

We missed on a top tier player in Watson 6 months ago, thorough discussion today. We land a comparable player in Usher 4 months ago, little more than a sentence today.

I don't need him to pump up GT and I'm certainly not defending Pastner's 2019 recruiting results, but be thorough, factual, & consistent. This article was neither thorough, nor consistent and that is a fact about Ken's writing, in general.

AGAIN, you judge Ken's writing through a prism of someone that dedicates your free time to extracting as much GT sports information as possible. Ken's writing is never going to fully satisfy someone like you, me, and others on here...simply for the fact that we're all schmucks with the luxury of wasting our time searching out the minutia of every detail of everything GT sports related. That's not his audience. As you can see by some of the replies in this thread, I'm not the only one that feels that some on here are making a mountain out of a mole hill about Ken's signing day review...I'm just the idiot willing to go in the ring :banghead:. Ken may not be the best beat writer to have graced GT media sessions, but I think he's done a good job of pumping out content for us, especially the content coming out for GT football recently. Not all of it will be to the standards that some hold him to, but it is what it is.

I'm not going to get into an Usher versus Watson debate, because it ends up belittling one or the other. What I will say is at the beginning of the this recruiting cycle, Watson was targeting as the local "must get" prospect we had the best shot at...hence the amount of time the staff spent on him. Heck, ALL of us spent a lot of time on him. That was not the case with Usher. There is nothing wrong with Ken reporting Watson as a miss. Whether we like it or not, GT missing on Watson is a fact.

From my point of view, it seems you have a personal axe to grind with Ken, and that's something you have to come to terms with. Some here are fine with Ken's work, others not so much...and that's the nature of all writers, not just Ken.

This is the last thing I'll say about this as we're arguing over preference now, and neither of us is going to change.

Haagen Das....:)

Last edited:

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
AGAIN, you judge Ken's writing through a prism of someone that dedicates your free time to extracting as much GT sports information as possible. Ken's writing is never going to fully satisfy someone like you, me, and others on here...simply for the fact that we're all schmucks with the luxury of wasting our time searching out the minutia of every detail of everything GT sports related. That's not his audience. As you can see by some of the replies in this thread, I'm not the only one that feels that some on here are making a mountain out of a mole hill about Ken's signing day review...I'm just the idiot willing to go in the ring :banghead:. Ken may not be the best beat writer to have graced GT media sessions, but I think he's done a good job of pumping out content for us, especially the content coming out for GT football recently. Not all of it will be to the standards that some hold him to, but it is what it is.

I'm not going to get into an Usher versus Watson debate, because it ends up belittling one or the other. What I will say is at the beginning of the this recruiting cycle, Watson was targeting as the local "must get" prospect we had the best shot at...hence the amount of time the staff spent on him. Heck, ALL of us spent a lot of time on him. That was not the case with Usher. There is nothing wrong with Ken reporting Watson as a miss. Whether we like it or not, GT missing on Watson is a fact.

From my point of view, it seems you have a personal axe to grind with Ken, and that's something you have to come to terms with. Some here are fine with Ken's work, others not so much...and that's the nature of all writers, not just Ken.

This is the last thing I'll say about this as we're arguing over preference now, and neither of us is going to change.

Haagen Das....:)

Hey man... It's cool.

The average GT fan is assumed to not bother reading more than the local paper, the AJC, so the AJC's production of a substandard product is assumed as acceptable because the average GT fan doesn't know any better.

I fully understand.