Ken's article on Pastner's recruiting misses for 2019

Deleted member 2897

If there is something negative to write or spin, Ken is on it.

He says we needed 2 or 3 studs, but then said we missed on all of them. Later sneaking back in we actually did get 2 guys - 1 is a top 125 4-star player (Usher) and 1 who looks to be a diamond in the rough in Price. True, we missed on some key people we thought we would get, but that is always the case too.

He also brings up the NCAA issues, as if kids care about that. We lost players over the last few years to UNC and Duke, when they were right in the middle of the fake classes thing and payments to players. Zion for example is a double whammy - there is evidence of people on wiretaps asking for large sums of money and there is evidence of ongoing payments to Zion's mom. Who here thinks that doesn't matter compared to a former player going out on the town for a few hours with a recruit? Give me a break.

Ken also states with pessimism our ability to get back to the tournament, without mentioning that we get like 5 of our top 6 scorers back. For the first time in several years. We'll have 4 guys on our team next year rated 4-stars and in the top 125 nationally.

I don't and wouldn't expect him to write a glowing review of our basketball program, but the 99% negative/1% positive, leaving out key context part is really sad for being a local journalist. The guy's just a power tool.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Considering the players mentioned in the article it’s one that probably could have been written about 5 months ago. But nah, let’s have our beat writer drop it right before AAU cranks up...such a tool box

I saw the title of the article and couldn't figure out why this was even written. It's not really 'news' and, as you said, it's basically stale.

I don't think Ken has an ax to grind or anything. I just didn't think the article was really necessary. It's almost like he was in a meeting with all the other beat writers and the editor forced him to write a counter to the 'UGA's bball recruiting is super-fantastic' piece.

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
It is hard to put a smiley face on last year’s recruiting effort and it really ain’t Ken’s job to be a cheerleader. FWIW I took the AAU coaches comments as about as positive a spin as was possible.

This article isn’t introducing anything into the recruiting world that isn’t out there already. CJP is wounded for sure for all the reasons in the article plus 5 others that could have been added. He has to get this team to play better than 10th in conference and likely in bubbly territory before recruits and their families take notice or see him in a different light.

I am hopeful/ wishing for good news on the grad transfer front but with or without reinforcements he has to show improvement next season to change the recruiting aura

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
Agreed. Exactly why there was no reason to write it in the first place and revisit punches to the gut and/or pitchforks.

I'm obviously not as bothered by it as others - though I do get your point. Let's see if Brother Ken writes something over the summer talking about the potential for significant improvement with the team that is coming back next year.

Deleted member 2897

We have many more football commits than we normally have right now.

We have higher rated commits than we normally do right now.

We have a lot more visits from higher rated recruits right now.

When is the last time we had a 5-star? When is the last time we had 3 4-stars by April?

On basketball, when is the last time we had 4 guys in the top 125?

When is the last time we returned most of our top scorers?

When is the last time our baseball team lead the Coastal at this point?

How does our baseball recruiting class look?

When is the last time baseball had a top 10 RPI?

When is the last time our softball team won 27 games?

There are all sorts of articles that he could write about, that would be interesting research projects for him, if he wanted to actually create any level of positivity. But that’s generally not in his DNA.

GT_EE78

Banned
clearly this dawg fan is just beating a dead horse.(tho its true the horse is dead , the 2019 early signing period was over and reported on a long time ago)
only about 30 days to go in this late period, hopefully CJP can make him eat his words by signing the two grad transfers we need now plus a big who will be ready year after next.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
We have many more football commits than we normally have right now.

We have higher rated commits than we normally do right now.

We have a lot more visits from higher rated recruits right now.

When is the last time we had a 5-star? When is the last time we had 3 4-stars by April?

On basketball, when is the last time we had 4 guys in the top 125? BGs first class

When is the last time we returned most of our top scorers? Pastner’s second season

When is the last time our baseball team lead the Coastal at this point?

How does our baseball recruiting class look?

When is the last time baseball had a top 10 RPI?

When is the last time our softball team won 27 games?

There are all sorts of articles that he could write about, that would be interesting research projects for him, if he wanted to actually create any level of positivity. But that’s generally not in his DNA.

AUFC

Helluva Engineer
You guys sound bitter. Ken is just doing his job and did it well in this article - his job is to report on Jackets basketball, not to sugar coat things or promote the brand like Bradley University's program would have you believe. This isn't a strong program as much as our gold-tinted glasses want us to believe it is and news articles are going to reflect that.

Additionally I didn't get the negative vibe you all got from this. There are lots of compliments from AAU coaches in it for Pastner.

Connell62

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I saw the title of the article and couldn't figure out why this was even written. It's not really 'news' and, as you said, it's basically stale.

I don't think Ken has an ax to grind or anything. I just didn't think the article was really necessary. It's almost like he was in a meeting with all the other beat writers and the editor forced him to write a counter to the 'UGA's bball recruiting is super-fantastic' piece.
Basically Ken's boss telling him to get off of his *** and write a story that generates some discussion.

Unfortunately, this is the only way that he can get people to talk about his ****ty articles.

slugboy

Staff member
It's the offseason. Ken probably has about 5-10 articles saved up for rainy days when there's not much other news. He probably puts 3-5 in front of his editor on any given day. This article could have run any time over the last six months, and probably was in front of the editor several times in that period, and again yesterday. Of those articles yesterday, his editor said "we've run articles on spring practice, football recruiting, and Nell Fortner lately. Run the Pastner recruiting one since the late signing day is coming up".