Ken's article on Pastner's recruiting misses for 2019

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
You guys sound bitter. Ken is just doing his job and did it well in this article - his job is to report on Jackets basketball, not to sugar coat things or promote the brand like Bradley University's program would have you believe. This isn't a strong program as much as our gold-tinted glasses want us to believe it is and news articles are going to reflect that.

Additionally I didn't get the negative vibe you all got from this. There are lots of compliments from AAU coaches in it for Pastner.

He did his job, but he didn’t do it well.

I wrote about this MONTHS ago.
His job isn’t to sugar coat anything, but he should at least be timely. The early signing period when all these kids were gone has long since passed.

And if you’re going to do it, do it all the way. Where is the Disu mention? Baugh? Lawson?

It’s half assed, it’s late, it’s timed poorly and now all these new coaches moving into our playpen (David Grace) have brand new ammunition in the form of a recent story by a major publication.

Wrecked

Ramblin' Wreck
He did his job, but he didn’t do it well.

I wrote about this MONTHS ago.
His job isn’t to sugar coat anything, but he should at least be timely. The early signing period when all these kids were gone has long since passed.

And if you’re going to do it, do it all the way. Where is the Disu mention? Baugh? Lawson?

It’s half assed, it’s late, it’s timed poorly and now all these new coaches moving into our playpen (David Grace) have brand new ammunition in the form of a recent story by a major publication.
Agree for the most part. What I think the article missed was "why" did these kids not choose Tech. It barely touched on that and gave some nice quotes from the AAU coaches, but nothing really in depth. I think The Athletic is putting some pressure on the AJC coverage to publish articles like this. As much as I don't like our TA beat reporter, she does write well and gets articles out. The AJC is hurting as a publication, it relies on UGA coverage to carry it and I think this article by Ken was just a throw in to say, yes we still cover Tech sports.

OTH it does nothing to disprove the fact that Pastner gets an F on this years recruiting class. I hate the excuse that "Duke, Carolina got involved so we lost them". You think that fazed Cremins or Hewitt? Its called competing, Get out and ALWAYS BE CLOSING! Earn your coffee.

Deleted member 2897

Agree for the most part. What I think the article missed was "why" did these kids not choose Tech. It barely touched on that and gave some nice quotes from the AAU coaches, but nothing really in depth. I think The Athletic is putting some pressure on the AJC coverage to publish articles like this. As much as I don't like our TA beat reporter, she does write well and gets articles out. The AJC is hurting as a publication, it relies on UGA coverage to carry it and I think this article by Ken was just a throw in to say, yes we still cover Tech sports.

OTH it does nothing to disprove the fact that Pastner gets an F on this years recruiting class. I hate the excuse that "Duke, Carolina got involved so we lost them". You think that fazed Cremins or Hewitt? Its called competing, Get out and ALWAYS BE CLOSING! Earn your coffee.

That's a good point. That's also journalism, which is really lacking in the world today.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
LOL...you guys are funny. "Timely"? April 17th is the day the spring signing period for basketball begins. The only person we signed was an "underrated" shooting guard, and a transfer (albeit a pretty good one)...let's not bring up the JC player who can barely score. That is a far cry from the "studs" we were supposed to/expected to sign in the beginning of this recruiting cycle. In fact, we even have a thread dedicated to our disappointment:

https://gtswarm.com/threads/officially-concerned.16054/

Ken's job isn't to be a chearleader, that's for the writer that works for ramblinwreck.com and those guys running the recruiting services. His job is to report, and he's reporting on CJP's swing and misses this recruiting cycle on the first day of this signing period. By his own admission, CJP didn't get the guys he thought he would when this recruiting cycle started.

Let's face it, it sucks being a GT basketball fan right now. Our program isn't very good...so the reality is, unless CJP would have signed the guys he wanted, what else is there to report on the first day of spring signing period? If everyone is going to be offended with articles like this, then you might as well just stop following GT basketball news until we actually have a team that makes the dance. Otherwise, we're gonna be repeatedly offended until then...

Deleted member 2897

LOL...you guys are funny. "Timely"? April 17th is the day the spring signing period for basketball begins. The only person we signed was an "underrated" shooting guard, and a transfer (albeit a pretty good one)...let's not bring up the JC player who can barely score. That is a far cry from the "studs" we were supposed to/expected to sign in the beginning of this recruiting cycle. In fact, we even have a thread dedicated to our disappointment:

Ken's job isn't to be a chearleader, that's for the writer that works for ramblinwreck.com and those guys running the recruiting services. His job is to report, and he's reporting on CJP's swing and misses this recruiting cycle on the first day of this signing period. By his own admission, CJP didn't get the guys he thought he would when this recruiting cycle started.

Let's face it, it sucks being a GT basketball fan right now. Our program isn't very good...so the reality is, unless CJP would have signed the guys he wanted, what else is there to report on the first day of spring signing period? If everyone is going to be offended with articles like this, then you might as well just stop following GT basketball news until we actually have a team that makes the dance. Otherwise, we're gonna be repeatedly offended until then...

The problem was not this article by itself. Its the cumulative sum-total of his work. Like when we got the 5-star DE from Florida. Rivals ranks him #27 nationally. ESPN ranks him #10 nationally. 247 composite ranks him #27 nationally. But because for some reason 247 only had 26 5-stars that year, he was the first 4-star. Rivals had him as a 5-star as they generally go through the top 30. Nationally he was ranked the same. So of course Ken referred to him as a 4-star. No mention he was the single highest 4-star by 247 composite. No mention that Rivals had him as a 5-star. Its a trend. Yes I'm being overly sensitive and analytical. But it seems like if there's ever any ability to leave out important context, its done.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
The problem was not this article by itself. Its the cumulative sum-total of his work. Like when we got the 5-star DE from Florida. Rivals ranks him #27 nationally. ESPN ranks him #10 nationally. 247 composite ranks him #27 nationally. But because for some reason 247 only had 26 5-stars that year, he was the first 4-star. Rivals had him as a 5-star as they generally go through the top 30. Nationally he was ranked the same. So of course Ken referred to him as a 4-star. No mention he was the single highest 4-star by 247 composite. No mention that Rivals had him as a 5-star. Its a trend. Yes I'm being overly sensitive and analytical. But it seems like if there's ever any ability to leave out important context, its done.

I get you don't like how he handled a football recruit, but I'm talking specifically about this basketball recruiting article everyone seems to think should have been reported on a while ago...when in fact it falls on the first day of the signing period for basketball.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I don't see the issue with the article you guys see. The trigger for the article was the beginning of the signing period. I agree that much of this is old news, but there hasn't been much recent news to report. We could still have a decent class, so I am withholding my negativism for a while.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I have talked to Ken and believe he is much more of a Tech fan than his bosses at the AJC like. Coach Johnson did not like reporters challenging him or asking questions they had queued up by their paper or network.

Ken seems to have a much better relationship with Coach Collins and the new football staff. And he is writing some very positive articles about Spring practice.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member

So rehashing news from 6 months ago that everyone already knew was appropriate because it's Spring NSD?

Yes. Very timely and revelatory.

We don't need Ken to be a cheerleader, but some tact & timing would be a nice start. He's just a schmuck.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
So rehashing news from 6 months ago that everyone already knew was appropriate because it's Spring NSD?

Yes. Very timely and revelatory.

We don't need Ken to be a cheerleader, but some tact & timing would be a nice start. He's just a schmuck.

Did Price commit to us 6 months ago? Did we know for a fact Didenko (or however you spell reach) wasn't coming? I get some of you will never like Ken for personal reasons that may or may not be related to your dealings with him, but I think the reason for bashing this article is funny.

I know us GT Swarmers think we know everything about GT sports, and this place is the be all for all things GT related, but not all GT fans come here for news. Ken's audience isn't for us, it's for the schmucks who actually have a life and don't surf GT messageboards day.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
It's a filler article that is dated but it isn't the huge negative article people make it out to be.

In fact it is fairly flattering to Pastner overall with the comments from the coaches and the general conclusion that it was mostly luck and general unpredictable nature of teenagers that caused the issues.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Did Price commit to us 6 months ago? Did we know for a fact Didenko (or however you spell reach) wasn't coming? I get some of you will never like Ken for personal reasons that may or may not be related to your dealings with him, but I think the reason for bashing this article is funny.

I know us GT Swarmers think we know everything about GT sports, and this place is the be all for all things GT related, but not all GT fans come here for news. Ken's audience isn't for us, it's for the schmucks who actually have a life and don't surf GT messageboards day.

AJC reported Price's commitment on 4/3/2019.

KQ published about Didenko a few weeks ago in a publicly available article that was free. Ken reporting it doesn't make it fact nor did he even state it as fact, but indications.

Outside of the Christian Keeling mention, which was used as a set up for us to miss out again because UNC, every other aspect of that article was revisiting old news that even the "everyday schmucks" should've been aware of if Ken's prior reporting was of adequate quality.

This article serves no purpose with only intended or unintended consequences to accentuate Pastner's failures.

So Ken doesn't have to be a cheerleader, but you can write him the thank you note when opposing coaches are busy emailing this to our 2020 recruits saying "You see this? This a guy you wanna play for?"

Techster

Helluva Engineer
AJC reported Price's commitment on 4/3/2019.

KQ published about Didenko a few weeks ago in a publicly available article that was free. Ken reporting it doesn't make it fact nor did he even state it as fact, but indications.

Outside of the Christian Keeling mention, which was used as a set up for us to miss out again because UNC, every other aspect of that article was revisiting old news that even the "everyday schmucks" should've been aware of if Ken's prior reporting was of adequate quality.

This article serves no purpose with only intended or unintended consequences to accentuate Pastner's failures.

So Ken doesn't have to be a cheerleader, but you can write him the thank you note when opposing coaches are busy emailing this to our 2020 recruits saying "You see this? This a guy you wanna play for?"

Oh, so 6 months ago was just you using hyperbole? :)

Price's commitment was announced on 4/3 (exactly 2 weeks ago), Reach...I mean Didenko news a few weeks ago, and Keeling news is new. So how does that not make it a timely article wrapping up the state of affairs on the first day of the signing period?

Ken's job isn't to help GT in recruiting. Neither is it to hurt. He isn't hurting GT by stating what actually happened. It's up to CJP to control the narrative by actually signing recruits. That's CJP's job, not Ken's. Recruits don't need to read Ken's articles, they simply have to look at who we signed...or DIDN'T sign to be accurate. That, and the product on the court speak more than some beat writer in the local paper. In fact, the article used quotes from HS coaches giving plaudits to CPJ's chops on the court, noting that recruits may overlook it because they don't know what they'r looking at. Gist was, CJP can coach even if the results don't speak to it.

We get it. You don't like Ken, and it probably tints your view of every word he writes in every article. That's your right and perogative. Point is, Ken did his job...of course, we all can have our opinions on how well he did his job.

GT_EE78

Banned
yea but ken was correct on that, no many how ways you spin it he was still a 4-star

Deleted member 2897

yea but ken was correct on that, no many how ways you spin it he was still a 4-star

A) Under his criteria, yes.
B) Under his criteria, the guy was the first guy in the country not a 5-star, but no mention of that, nor of all the other agencies that had him as a 5-star, nor of the fact 247s composite had an unusually low number of 5-stars that year. 247 composite and Rivals both had him identically ranked at #27 nationally. That was a 5-star and solidly for Rivals.

Connell62

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member

Price's commitment was announced on 4/3 (exactly 2 weeks ago), Reach...I mean Didenko news a few weeks ago, and Keeling news is new. So how does that not make it a timely article wrapping up the state of affairs on the first day of the signing period?

Ken's job isn't to help GT in recruiting. Neither is it to hurt. He isn't hurting GT by stating what actually happened. It's up to CJP to control the narrative by actually signing recruits. That's CJP's job, not Ken's. Recruits don't need to read Ken's articles, they simply have to look at who we signed...or DIDN'T sign to be accurate. That, and the product on the court speak more than some beat writer in the local paper. In fact, the article used quotes from HS coaches giving plaudits to CPJ's chops on the court, noting that recruits may overlook it because they don't know what they'r looking at. Gist was, CJP can coach even if the results don't speak to it.

We get it. You don't like Ken, and it probably tints your view of every word he writes in every article. That's your right and perogative. Point is, Ken did his job...of course, we all can have our opinions on how well he did his job.

Sounds like you’re one of the only people here defending the dumbass. Maybe you are Ken. If so, your articles and overall coverage of GT sucks sir.

On a serious note, you can slice it however you would like, but if you’re being honest with yourself, there was nothing newsworthy about the article. It wreaked of regurgitated bull****!

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member

Yes. Pure hyperbole on my part. Not much rehashed at all & very in-depth on the new news today.

I'd be fine with Ken putting forth what actually happened, but do it without any spin. Positive or negative. I was thrilled The Athletic put a GT beat reporter in place because she actually does that.

Here's a suggestion for everyone. Start listening to all of the GT press conferences and listen to Ken's questions. You'll gain an appreciation of how subpar he is in his general sports knowledge, but also his steady attempts to unearth gotcha moments that are entirely unnecessary. Then come back and we can discuss how well he does his job.

alagold

Helluva Engineer
A) Under his criteria, yes.
B) Under his criteria, the guy was the first guy in the country not a 5-star, but no mention of that, nor of all the other agencies that had him as a 5-star, nor of the fact 247s composite had an unusually low number of 5-stars that year. 247 composite and Rivals both had him identically ranked at #27 nationally. That was a 5-star and solidly for Rivals.

I don't quite get the concern on the TRANSFER from a college for 2 yrs--why are we pushing his HIGH SCHOOL rating.He sure hasn't played like a 5 star in college so far, so he might be really a 3 star when it all is said and done at Tech.

Deleted member 2897

I don't quite get the concern on the TRANSFER from a college for 2 yrs--why are we pushing his HIGH SCHOOL rating.He sure hasn't played like a 5 star in college so far, so he might be really a 3 star when it all is said and done at Tech.

LOL

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
Yes. Pure hyperbole on my part. Not much rehashed at all & very in-depth on the new news today.

I'd be fine with Ken putting forth what actually happened, but do it without any spin. Positive or negative. I was thrilled The Athletic put a GT beat reporter in place because she actually does that.

Here's a suggestion for everyone. Start listening to all of the GT press conferences and listen to Ken's questions. You'll gain an appreciation of how subpar he is in his general sports knowledge, but also his steady attempts to unearth gotcha moments that are entirely unnecessary. Then come back and we can discuss how well he does his job.

And right after those press conferences follows Pastner around like a lost puppy...