Just heard Tstan on 680

Sideways

Helluva Engineer
I think Michael Johnson was a 3 star out of high school. I would say he vastly overachieved the bloggers' expectations.

So he did. He went from being a basketball player physique to being a football player with hard work and determination. It can be done.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
So he did. He went from being a basketball player physique to being a football player with hard work and determination. It can be done.

Do you call this a football player physique?
techmuscle.0729-1.jpg

Sideways

Helluva Engineer
Do you call this a football player physique?
techmuscle.0729-1.jpg
Now you have done it. I have a man crush to beat the band. Now that's what I am talking about. Hit those weights and run until you puke. It that doesn't make you a football player. Well, some things can't be helped.

flea77

Ramblin' Wreck
Not sure I agree that CPJ uses it as a crutch. He’s just stating the obvious. Takes a special athlete to compete at Tech. Tech has limited majors compared to other institutes/universities. Look at the clemson starting D majors and see if Tech offers any of them. From what I remember there was a good amount of sports communication and parks and rec management and a couple pre-business. We have missed on the athletes that claim they want to be an engineer in school but once they get there I’d be curious what they actually major in. I think thats what CPJ is typically stating.
Mitch Hyatt. Smart kid. Started in Eng now as a Jr " pre business" whatever that is...

laoh

Ramblin' Wreck
He said that the academic rigor can't be used as a crutch. I hope CPJ heard that becuase he uses that as a crutch almost every week. And no I don't want CPJ to leave. Also they asked if being good was enough at GT and Tstan said no we want to win Championships.

What else is Stanbury supposed to say? "No, good is good enough for us." Sure way to be shown the door.

GTJake

Helluva Engineer
I'm always amazed at the "Fair-weather-ness" of a part of the GT fan base, and the typical "whine" that comes out after a bad Loss(es).
Maybe it's prevalent in all fan bases, I only pay attention to ours.
But let me say this, during my fandom since attending Grad School classes in 1982, GT athletics has;
Won a National Title in Football in 1990
Been to two NCAA final fours
Played for the National Title in Basketball vs. UCONN in 2004 (I think that's the year)
Been to several Baseball World Series
Played for the National Title in Baseball vs. Oklahoma in 1990
I didn't do the research, but I don't think there are too many programs that can match that.

jacketup

Helluva Engineer
Thank you Todd Stansbury!! I have listened to the academic excuse from Tech fans for 47 years, and I am sick of it.

There are 2 kinds of Tech fans: The Homer Rice kind, and the Dave Braine kind.

Homer Rice didn't believe in excuses. He took the programs from 1-AA/FCS quality to national contenders. His coaching hires won a football national championship, and many ranked seasons, including 5 final AP Top 25 rankings from 1997-2001. We achieved national prominence in basketball, baseball and golf. Championships, not excuses, for the Homer Rice kind of Tech fan.

The Dave Braine kind of Tech fan believes that because of academics we should be happy with 7 football wins a year (one of which is FCS) and maybe every now and then doing better. Unfortunately, most Tech fans fall into this category.

Almost every football program not named Alabama or Ohio State has disadvantages. Yes, academics may be an disadvantage, but we also have advantages. GT now has a great campus. Atlanta is a wonderful place for young people, and particularly young African Americans. But rather than looking at the advantages we have, the Dave Braine Tech fan prefers the academic excuse, because it's a lazy way out. That kind of fan believes "we lost to you because we are better than you academically." However, it's still just an excuse.

Academics can be an advantage. But when the football recruiting footprint is largely within 300 miles of campus, it's going to be harder to find enough academically and athletically qualified kids who want what GT and Atlanta have to offer.

Todd Stansbury worked under Homer Rice. After 3 duds as AD, I believe we have our man. The future is bright, especially if some Braine disciples will switch sides and get out their checkbooks.

Homer Rice was a pro at fundraising, which the 3 duds were not (2 of the 3 were big spenders though; the third seemed to be in the witness protection program). It remains to be seen if Stansbury is a baker: can he raise the dough?

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Thank you Todd Stansbury!! I have listened to the academic excuse from Tech fans for 47 years, and I am sick of it.

Homer Rice didn't believe in excuses. He took the programs from 1-AA/FCS quality to national contenders. His coaching hires won a football national championship, and many ranked seasons, including 5 final AP Top 25 rankings from 1997-2001. We achieved national prominence in basketball, baseball and golf. Championships, not excuses, for the Homer Rice kind of Tech fan.

The Dave Braine kind of Tech fan believes that because of academics we should be happy with 7 football wins a year (one of which is FCS) and maybe every now and then doing better. Unfortunately, most Tech fans fall into this category.

Almost every football program not named Alabama or Ohio State has disadvantages. Yes, academics may be an disadvantage, but we also have advantages. GT now has a great campus. Atlanta is a wonderful place for young people, and particularly young African Americans. But rather than looking at the advantages we have, the Dave Braine Tech fan prefers the academic excuse, because it's a lazy way out. That kind of fan believes "we lost to you because we are better than you academically." However, it's still just an excuse.

Academics can be an advantage. But when the football recruiting footprint is largely within 300 miles of campus, it's going to be harder to find enough academically and athletically qualified kids who want what GT and Atlanta have to offer.

Todd Stansbury worked under Homer Rice. After 3 duds as AD, I believe we have our man. The future is bright, especially if some Braine disciples will switch sides and get out their checkbooks.

Homer Rice was a pro at fundraising, which the 3 duds were not (2 of the 3 were big spenders though; the third seemed to be in the witness protection program). It remains to be seen if Stansbury is a baker: can he raise the dough?
So what kind of Fan are you? I’m confused.

redmule

Ramblin' Wreck

Homer Rice hired Bill Lewis IIRC. I still think Homer is the best AD that we will ever have, but that sorta points out the difficulties of recruiting at Tech.

Braine left VT for us and was a complete waste sorta like the basketball coach he hired. That also sorta points out the difficulties of recruiting at Tech.

redmule

Ramblin' Wreck
I'm always amazed at the "Fair-weather-ness" of a part of the GT fan base, and the typical "whine" that comes out after a bad Loss(es).
Maybe it's prevalent in all fan bases, I only pay attention to ours.
But let me say this, during my fandom since attending Grad School classes in 1982, GT athletics has;
Won a National Title in Football in 1990
Been to two NCAA final fours
Played for the National Title in Basketball vs. UCONN in 2004 (I think that's the year)
Been to several Baseball World Series
Played for the National Title in Baseball vs. Oklahoma in 1990
I didn't do the research, but I don't think there are too many programs that can match that.

You left off the Women's Tennis NC and the times the Golf Team finished second in the NCAA's. How many ACC Baseball championships? I am still in shock over the ACC basketball tournament titles after being in school when Morrison was our coach.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Admitting that academics at Tech provide a challenging hurdle is not using it as a crutch. Admitting that teams that draw 80k to 90k fans (CU and georgie) have bigger budgets than GT which draws 50k is not using it as a crutch. Admitting that GT does not have the history of consistently recruiting top 20 classes before CPJ got here is not using it as a crutch.

It's honestly recognizing that recruiting to GT will take consistent effort to be creative in finding the SA's that will thrive. As CPJ has said as recently as last week, you're going to recruit different kinds of kids. It will also call for looking for creative ways to be successful without top tier talent. It is possible that other offenses could do that, but it's clear that CPJ and his offense have done that. Ideally, in my opinion, we'd be able to find a DC who could bring comparable creativity to that side of the ball.

So, it is simply childish to act like the only variable in recruiting is the head coach or to assert that CPJ has been content with our recruiting. Over the last several years, he's pushed for building an indoor practice facility, for an increase to the support/recruiting staff, and last year to use the soccer money to improve the locker rooms. All of that was done with the explicit purpose of recruiting. Again, the claims made by some that CPJ is just satisfied and content with recruiting at whatever level is childish stomping of feet with fingers in the ears. If the persons making these claims are actually grown, then I was wrong for giving them the benefit of the doubt.

One of the things that CPJ doesn't seem to do, that some of the factories do, is push guys out. So far, it seems reasonable that we'll do better in the long run by building depth more through development than recruiting.

/rant over

gtpi

Helluva Engineer
not taking sides in this fight but....

i just hate it when somebody says i cant do something. it makes me even more determined. had i listened to all the losers who told me i wasnt smart enough to graduate from tech... id be working in a factory for peanuts. heh.

im of the opinion that we can STILL win a nc at gt with cpj. we just need to make a few upgrades.