Juanyeh Thomas has a message for the fans!

Deleted member 2897

Getting onto true fans for wanting the team to win is just as stupid as Kevin on twitter yelling at a player. Do you guys even support CPJ yelling at them when they make mistakes ? I doubt he is a contributor (since the school pays him millions) and I know he didn't play for Tech

I wasn’t getting onto you for wanting the team to win. I don’t think I’ve ever seen a single person here act that way in the years I’ve been here. That’s kind of a silly assertion.

Technut1990

Ramblin' Wreck
I was arguing the inverse.

Some people are stating that our players’ mistakes are so glaringly simple that surely you could play better than they and/or coach better than our coaches. That’s the clear implication.

If you aren’t better than them and couldn’t make the team, then it’s probably best to not imply how poorly some folks are playing and/or coaching...otherwise you’re really just insulting yourselves.

Come on bwelbo. Some of these players are making simple mistakes. are you really asking fans who have been watching the game for their entire lives not to make observations ? I think thats unrealistic I get the personal insults thing but being critics is different than the vulgar post some engage in.

Technut1990

Ramblin' Wreck
I wasn’t getting onto you for wanting the team to win. I don’t think I’ve ever seen a single person here act that way in the years I’ve been here. That’s kind of a silly assertion.

I wasn't aiming that comment at you it was more at the "good fan" who advised me to watch the NFL rather than Tech

MidtownJacket

Staff member
Getting onto true fans for wanting the team to win is just as stupid as Kevin on twitter yelling at a player. Do you guys even support CPJ yelling at them when they make mistakes ? I doubt he is a contributor (since the school pays him millions) and I know he didn't play for Tech
I didn't mean to come across as so dismissive, but the main difference between professional and amateur sports is the part of your post that I bolded. Literally the fact that our athletes are students first, and have responsibility / commitments to things beyond just sport.

I am not saying you can't watch NCAA Sports, just asking why you would if you didn't appreciate the greatest aspect of the context in which the players exist?

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
I'm proud that our players have to actually be student athletes but we shouldn't keep using that as an excuse for mediocrity. A challenge, sure, but nobody wants to watch their football team lose and just be fine with it because they go to class.

MidtownJacket

Staff member
I'm proud that our players have to actually be student athletes but we shouldn't keep using that as an excuse for mediocrity. A challenge, sure, but nobody wants to watch their football team lose and just be fine with it because they go to class.
Agree 100% that it doesn't mean we can't compete or that we shouldn't want to win. I am only saying I think we need to keep things in perspective. I am as disappointed as the next rational fan, and am looking forward to seeing what improvements come this week. If we find that changes need to be made at the end of the year, than so be it. We are two games into a new season (with a major challenge as we install a new D) so I don't think we are deep enough in the season yet to know how good or bad we are. We found out that this team struggled in the end of a game where we didn't have depth in secondary and we didn't rotate our OLine enough. Fine, lesson learned, let's move on. If those things continue to be an issue then I get people griping, but until then - IIWII.

Deleted member 2897

Come on bwelbo. Some of these players are making simple mistakes. are you really asking fans who have been watching the game for their entire lives not to make observations ? I think thats unrealistic I get the personal insults thing but being critics is different than the vulgar post some engage in.

No I get it. It’s like an NFL player dropping a ball that hits him right in the chest. Criticizing that doesn’t mean you think an NFL player of yourself. I just think we need to be careful what language we use when student athletes and their parents/families/friends are around.

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
Fans are going to be fans. I think it's fine to make our message board observations, even if they are harsh sometimes. I think criticism of individual players should be done with some tact. Just keep it off the kids' social media, entirely.

Technut1990

Ramblin' Wreck
I didn't mean to come across as so dismissive, but the main difference between professional and amateur sports is the part of your post that I bolded. Literally the fact that our athletes are students first, and have responsibility / commitments to things beyond just sport.

I am not saying you can't watch NCAA Sports, just asking why you would if you didn't appreciate the greatest aspect of the context in which the players exist?

Im more than happy to tell you how I think. I watch Tech sports b/c since I was 5 or 6 years old I have been a fan of Tech sports, introduced to it by my now deceased uncle. I have rooted for them through the most depressing times, losing every year, listening to the Ga fans and their mouths, watching the disrespect others throw so liberally at the school, not because the school itself sucks but because these other teams fans seem to get the competitive nature of sports and winning. It literally hurts when Tech loses, I dont apologize for that ! Tech makes money off of it's sports and they give free educations to the players via fan support. The individual players will be more than fine when they graduate, after all they went to Tech so Im not concerned with their overall welfare, it's secure.

Being a fan of Ga Tech sports does not mean that I have to accept poor play from players as they are correctly completing a rigorous academic demand. I should be able to watch the team I love and get upset when they fail. Im sure that going to Tech inspires student athletes to win- at everything. Would your point be valid if I were being critical of how they build a space shuttle ? most likely. But then again I wasn't raised to be a Tech sports fan because of the academics. I was raised to like Tech b/c it stands for excellence, it' the best institution in the world in my thoughts and the people who go there, even if they dont graduate, deserve respect just for getting in. But I also love and respect my wife and son and I have an obligation to point out their mistakes, not just watch them and smile at what they do simply b/c I love them.

But ultimately Tech student athletes accept free educations because of their sports abilities, otherwise they would be in school on academic scholarships. Tech and the ACC sign huge TV contracts to expose ( and take advantage of) the athletes, the athletes accept these free schollies to further themselves, as they should. Therefore when these players accept free education which can be a gateway to the NFL if not lucrative personal careers, I think they can handle my somewhat insignificant voice. For an athlete to tell me, a lifelong fan, that I am either for them or against them that is unacceptable. I've been for them for 48 years, 3 times longer than the player who said it has been alive ! Like I said I whole hardheartedly condemn the idiot who got personal !

But

I dont accept failure without complaint , I never will ! I dont accept it in my personal life and I wont from Tech players. No ! I cant play but then again If I could I would at Tech, if I could get in and I would be just as hard on myself as I am on the current players. I dont personally insult them but I do expect a LB'er who is studying physics to know where to line up, if he is on scholarship I have a right to expect him to know how to wrap up and tackle low rather than at the shoulder pads. If that makes me unworthy of being a Tech fan then expectations arent high enough of Tech sports ! I want smart football players to do the basic things involved in playing the game, When they get beat after doing that, well thats somewhat easier to handle. When they dont play smart and lose to inferior teams- as a lifelong supporter, it's another story.

Last edited:

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
I was arguing the inverse.

Some people are stating that our players’ mistakes are so glaringly simple that surely you could play better than they and/or coach better than our coaches. That’s the clear implication.

If you aren’t better than them and couldn’t make the team, then it’s probably best to not imply how poorly some folks are playing and/or coaching...otherwise you’re really just insulting yourselves.

Well, since you started this. When it comes to recruiting, I am not implying anything. It is not competitive with our peers in the ACC. Likewise, stating that we allowed them to run two kickoffs back for touchdowns is not implying poor coaching it is stating it in such a way as to be crystal clear to everyone.

laoh

Ramblin' Wreck
Let kids be kids. Go hard on them when they're making 50 million bucks a year and drop a pass.
Our kids are here to get an education first. We have many very successful former student athletes in the industry.
The sooner we accept as fans that we're never gonna be the bamer, aubuns, climps, and ugag, the more peace you will have in your lives. Namaste.

And... I'll just leave this here :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Technut1990

Ramblin' Wreck
Let kids be kids. Go hard on them when they're making 50 million bucks a year and drop a pass.
Our kids are here to get an education first. We have many very successful former student athletes in the industry.
The sooner we accept as fans that we're never gonna be the bamer, aubuns, climps, and ugag, the more peace you will have in your lives. Namaste.

I dont expect national championships but I do expect a calculus student to line up where they are suppose to. If UGA athletes can find the field ours should know that 2 DB's cant cover 3 WR's

MidtownJacket

Staff member
Im more than happy to tell you how I think. I watch Tech sports b/c since I was 5 or 6 years old I have been a fan of Tech sports, introduced to it by my now deceased uncle. I have rooted for them through the most depressing times, losing every year, listening to the Ga fans and their mouths, watching the disrespect others throw so liberally at the school, not because the school itself sucks but because these other teams fans seem to get the competitive nature of sports and winning. It literally hurts when Tech loses, I dont apologize for that ! Tech makes money off of it's sports and they give free educations to the players via fan support. The individual players will be more than fine when they graduate, after all they went to Tech so Im not concerned with their overall welfare, it's secure.

Being a fan of Ga Tech sports does not mean that I have to accept poor play from players as they are correctly completing a rigorous academic demand. I should be able to watch the team I love and get upset when they fail. Im sure that going to Tech inspires student athletes to win- at everything. Would your point be valid if I were being critical of how they build a space shuttle ? most likely. But then again I wasn't raised to be a Tech sports fan because of the academics. I was raised to like Tech b/c it stands for excellence, it' the best institution in the world in my thoughts and the people who go there, even if they dont graduate, deserve respect just for getting in. But I also love and respect my wife and son and I have an obligation to point out their mistakes, not just watch them and smile at what they do simply b/c I love them.

But ultimately Tech student athletes accept free educations because of their sports abilities, otherwise they would be in school on academic scholarships. Tech and the ACC sign huge TV contracts to expose ( and take advantage of) the athletes, the athletes accept these free schollies to further themselves, as they should. Therefore when these players accept free education which can be a gateway to the NFL if not lucrative personal careers, I think they can handle my somewhat insignificant voice. For an athlete to tell me, a lifelong fan, that I am either for them or against them that is unacceptable. I've been for them for 48 years, 3 times longer than the player who said it has been alive ! Like I said I whole hardheartedly condemn the idiot who got personal !

But

I dont accept failure without complaint , I never will ! I dont accept it in my personal life and I wont from Tech players. No ! I cant play but then again If I could I would at Tech, if I could get in and I would be just as hard on myself as I am on the current players. I dont personally insult them but I do expect a LB'er who is studying physics to know where to line up, if he is on scholarship I have a right to expect him to know how to wrap up and tackle low rather than at the shoulder pads. If that makes me unworthy of being a Tech fan then expectations arent high enough of Tech sports ! I want smart football players to do the basic things involved in playing the game, When they get beat after doing that, well thats somewhat easier to handle. When they dont play smart and lose to inferior teams- as a lifelong supporter, it's another story.
I hear ya man. Glad to hear about your passion and the origin of it. Legacy Fans are the holy grail of programs so I appreciate you supporting the team and the Institute. We are on the same page when it comes to wanting excellence both on and off the field.

Go Jackets!

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
Depends. Can you tackle? How are your run fits?;)
Funny real funny. You have wit I will grant you. But if you think this forum is a bit harsh you should see Jackets Online. They have this feature called "Pro Football Grades" or something like that in which two analysts grade each player and their differences are settled by a third former coach. It was, shall we say revealing. Did any of you get Sean Bedford's comment on Oliver? He thought Tobias ran the offense better than ANY quarterback in the Coach Johnson era including JT5 and the sainted Josh Nesbitt. Don't quite know what to make of that but he (Oliver) got a 90 grade on the chart which was the highest grade of any offensive player most of whom were actually quite good. Defense? well, let's just wipe the slate clean and see how they do this week.

laoh

Ramblin' Wreck

But

A freshmen kid made a statement. You're a 48 year old man and this kid is what, 17, 18? Why are you taking this seriously and personally?
Nobody on this board wants mediocrity but brother, we have to put things into perspective. There are other lifelong fans besides yourself.

jacket_fan

Ramblin' Wreck

Kudos to Gundy for supporting his player. Thought he might be going after the reporter he kept pointing at...

BurdellJacket

Jolly Good Fellow

How do you feel when people say you are mediocre at your job?