Juanyeh Thomas has a message for the fans!

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
There is an easy way for him and the team to shut the fans up. Win.

Also, I believe it's stupid to tell fans to go somewhere else. The reason people get this upset is that they actually care about the team. We need more fans not less.
Caring and talking trash/downing someone is totally different. The fans doing that mess generally know nothing about football imo.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
The big problem as I see it is so many guys expected our defense to be lights out just because we have a new scheme and DC. Reality is we have a very young and inexperienced secondary. Our front seven had difficulty getting off blocks last year and now we expect them to just jump off blocks and be in the backfield making TFL’s all over the place. Somehow we expect them to be faster of foot, better tacklers and more powerful than last year. Yes, coaching can improve some of this, but not all of it. Certainly not instantly.

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
Our D should improve. I was worried about our inexperienced secondary before the year started and then they took our top 2 safeties out of the game (BS on Tariq). My issues are with the offense not producing in the 4th just as much as the defense.

Chas_Jacket

Jolly Good Fellow
The other thing is trolls come out of the woodwork with early season losses. They are also much more sophisticated than years past when they were easy to spot. They often will praise a team while subtly creating discord in the fanbase - they also love to go after players. There are many true GT fans that are understandably upset and voice their concern - but it may be difficult to discern between the two. Long term post history is probably the best means of distinguishing between the two.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Our D should improve. I was worried about our inexperienced secondary before the year started and then they took our top 2 safeties out of the game (BS on Tariq). My issues are with the offense not producing in the 4th just as much as the defense.
We were about to score a touchdown until we fumbled in the red zone. We were moving the ball nicely on our last meaningful possession until a holding call killed that drive. Yes the offense failed to bail out the defense for the 18th time. So I guess you’re right, it’s on them.

GTBatGirl96

Jolly Good Fellow
As a former QB at Ohio State said, “I didn’t come here to play school”.

Exactly. And I'd much rather have a Taquon Marshall that says "Class trumps practice." I have a great respect for our student athletes as I could never, ever do what they do, and yet they are taking some of the same classes that I took. It makes it seems like we are all more connected, rather than at the football factories where the players take underwater basket weaving and the AA is more like separate business instead of part of a university. It's such a farce.

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
We were about to score a touchdown until we fumbled in the red zone. We were moving the ball nicely on our last meaningful possession until a holding call killed that drive. Yes the offense failed to bail out the defense for the 18th time. So I guess you’re right, it’s on them.
My issues are with the offense not producing in the 4th just as much as the defense.

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer

Thing is, we can't constantly be in positions where one stalled drive late basically loses the game. No offense is going to operate at peak efficiency for 4 quarters unless they just completely have their opponents overmatched, talent-wise. You've got to be able to get a stop and hold a lead. Once you've scored 38, the offense has done its job, imo.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
The defense needs to create confusion by moving closer to the l o s EVEN IF WE ARE GOING TO PLAY THE MODIFUED BEND BUT DONT BREAK.

Now the dl no longer has to hit the ol man head on. He can go to a gap.

Until 4 th quarter- that's all we did. In 4th we tried bringing some folks up and we did better. The gt guys up on the line acting like they may blitz confused the o l.

So much talk about letting them plat fast turned out to be talk fir the lb s and safety.

Lets hope that at Pitt, we play aggressive w the front 7 or even 8. If they wait till vt, miami, uga to start , it will be 2 late.

This was a coverage - that reminded me of last year. In the old days we would be standing in the end zone so we are improving . I have great hope for the safeties really being a force.

20180909_165736.jpg

alentrekin

Ramblin' Wreck
The season just started. Giving up now would be weak. Our offense has shown me nothing to think we can’t score on anyone on our schedule but maybe Clamson. I also can’t imagibe our defense won’t improve as the season goes with more in game reps. I think it would be silly to *expect* wins against anyone at this point, but I also don’t see a convincing argument on why we couldn’t beat anyone on our schedule (yes even Clemson).

Fans should be fanatics by definition. I am going to wake up every Saturday morning believing our players are showing up to win and that our coaches are tying their best to prepare them. Cheers to all the good fellows that do the same.
Good word

MidtownJacket

Staff member
I have thought more about this whole topic and came up with this. I am a lifelong fan of Georgia Tech because:

The focus we have on school, and actually teaching skills to our athletes that will afford them a lifetime of opportunity beyond their sport
The life lessons I learned trying to balance more work than I believed I was capable of while attending GT as a student (with no job and no sports commitments) and coming out the other side smarter for it
The actual commitment to the stated mission of the Institute: Progress and Service
The character and quality of our student body and alumni base

It's why I like NCAA sports better than professional sports. There is something bigger and better behind the W/L record at the end of the season. I want to win in everything we do, but not at the cost of our values. Act with the grace and class afforded to us by the lessons we learn every day. Choose to be a fan (or not if you don't like the product) and look for productive ways to voice displeasure or disagreement with the administration. Let's be honest, most of the people who yell the loudest do so because they know their voices are rising up with the smallest of ideas. Sure, we all want to win more, but be sensible.

I bleed gold; I spend money on gear, the AT Fund and Roll Call because I support our mission. I am a fan of the Institute, not because I believe them to field the best team in a particular sport, but because of the program around it.

That's why I dislike seeing people disparage the players, the coaches, the parents, the administrators and the friends of our program.

Deleted member 2897

That's just it though. I feel it is too tough. I personally feel the players are held to such a high academic standard that maybe they know to play they have to keep up academics but are so tired they cut back on the football aspect. Basically if they aren't spending 65-70 hours a week on school and football then it won't work at tech. It takes a special talent not just physically, but mentally to handle tech. Have to give up a social life to play here is my belief.

That's exactly why we need to be behind them 100%. Instead of getting a fake degree not worth much, they are taking the road less traveled. The hard path that few take. And they choose that voluntarily, with all the information provided in advance. We don't sugar coat it when we recruit these guys. I love them all, and I get wet eyes when they take the field and our band starts playing.

GTFLETCH

Banned
Caring and talking trash/downing someone is totally different. The fans doing that mess generally know nothing about football imo.
IMHO those are the fans who decide not to show up at Bobby Dodd anymore.... WIN in B2B Season... 8 plus Wins is the only way to change the culture...Inside & Outside the locker room.... So the players need to quit talking to fans and start playing in a way that will allow them to WIN games consistently over multiple years and Bobby Dodd will fill back up and less fans will be angry... The good news there are enough passionate fans for GT, at least for the time being

DaltonJacket

Jolly Good Fellow

And we were shot after that. I feel like as a team we are pretty fragile. We have had many games in the past 2 seasons that we look like world beaters and then "that" mistake occurs and we are just shattered to pieces and lose the game.

TheTechGuy

Ramblin' Wreck

I’d dare to say the players like our coaches

Wow, some of our fans are repugnant. Never ceases to amaze me when adults reply to the tweets of amateur athletes with vile, disgusting comments while having taglines on their twitter profile that say "Love God."

I am by no means a perfect person, but some of those direct responses and ancillary statements are absolutely disgusting.

Deleted member 2897

So the players need to quit talking to fans and start playing in a way that will allow them to WIN games consistently over multiple years and Bobby Dodd will fill back up and less fans will be angry...

I don't believe the players are out tweeting to fans - some of them like Juanyeh were responding to negative posts directed at them first. These guys are still essentially 18-22 year old kids. I think the responsibility for civil behavior starts with the adults.

GTHOSCHTON

Jolly Good Fellow
Gotta have tough skin to be a Tech fan...and hell yes its disappointing to lose the way we have lost many games....Pressure is on now......can have no more hiccups...sorry thats life.....I support the players and the coaches.....so know what time it is and respond accordingly