JT's future role

croberts

Ramblin' Wreck
In the history of the NFL combine there have been only 5 players recorded at under 4.3, ever. The fastest being 4.24... Chris Johnson.

12 Fastest 40-Yard Dashes in NFL History

So my guess is JT's 4.21 time was hand-timed. And I'd expect JT to record a better time at GT's proday than he would at the combine, for those thinking about wagering on this.
4.21 was at University of Alabama. Had the fastest time recorded by any recruit during their camps. Snoddy was a legit 4.3 guy coming off an outdoor track season. I would be shocked to see him register slower than mid 4.3s. It is amazing what you can do with 3 months of specific training for the 40. Hell, if you follow track and field, look at the early season times for sprinters and then the season ending performances. You see so many kids in HS drop 100m from 11.1 to 10.8.

Jacket4Life9

Jolly Good Fellow
The 40 is also tough to judge from watching a kid in live action football. Technique plays a huge role in logging a good time. I'm certain that some kids capable of running 4.3's and 4.4's come out and run 4.5's and 4.6's due to poor technique. If he optimizes his technique and has a great run, I think he is 4.38-4.42 range. 4.46-4.52 is more likely, IMO. Not a bad thing, guys like DeAnthony Thomas (Black Mamba) ran a 4.50 officially at combine and a 4.39 at his pro-day. In reality, JT is fast either way, but he could improve his chances by logging a 4.3X 40 because people put so much stock into the times. A 4.3x would almost guarantee at least a tryout with a team. Now, whether he gets an opportunity at receiver or CB is the bigger question. I would love to see him get a chance as a slot guy.

deeeznutz

Helluva Engineer
I saw the run against SNODDY, when he got dusted

The two were pretty much neck and neck through the first half of the race before Snoddy (also a GT track athlete who specifically trained in sprint technique) pulled away. Also, wasn't Snoddy a junior versus a freshman JT? JT will be very fast in the 40 because his acceleration is his strongest attribute. Top speed may not be as high as some bigger guys (shorter legs) but his short space quickness will get him a great start.

Eastman

Helluva Engineer
Totally agree that he will impress more in the 40 than the 100 and should break 4.5 which is very fast. I would also think that he impresses in his agility drills. Would love to see him as a big time slot receiver in the NFL.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
I've probably said it before, but I'm sure JT has had serious conversations with professional scouts about his talents and his interests. I think it highly unlikely that he played CB in the senior bowl unless there was a pretty good idea that he projected best in that position.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
I've probably said it before, but I'm sure JT has had serious conversations with professional scouts about his talents and his interests. I think it highly unlikely that he played CB in the senior bowl unless there was a pretty good idea that he projected best in that position.
Might have been something where they had an opening up only at CB and because of his athleticism they asked him to come. Idk but if he gets on a NFL team I wouldn't be surprised if they tried him at multiple positions.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
4.21? Dreaming. Just dreaming. 4.6? He would have to be injured. IMHO, JT will be under 4.5 as much as he is ever over. I would bet on the under, if pressed.

Against Duke, he had no hammy injury. He simply had poor fitting pants and thigh pads and was trying to pull them up with his hands while he ran. Sadly, that sounds so TECH-like, when it comes to equipment.

JT would be hard to beat on the cone drills and shuttles etc. He would be at the top of the hill among skill guys. These are the things that matter most with slot type players. Short space separation, that is where JT is really noticeable when you watch the slo-mo stuff.

1BearJACKET

Jolly Good Fellow
This is a joke right?

No joke. Laskey was wide open in the flats on right side of formation, easy touchdown but the QB sees open field and sprints to the end zone. Pretty crappy way to treat a Senior teammate who was a big part of a successful season in his last game as a Yellow Jacket. Go watch again if you like.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
No joke. Laskey was wide open in the flats on right side of formation, easy touchdown but the QB sees open field and sprints to the end zone. Pretty crappy way to treat a Senior teammate who was a big part of a successful season in his last game as a Yellow Jacket. Go watch again if you like.
I wasn't doubting laskey being open, but that doesn't mean he was his first check, actually laskey was probably he's third check considering he was our Bback and by then he was being pressured or saw an opening and took it. Who knows if JT even saw laskey. Not to mention when you have an opening to run for a TD the chances are more in favor of that than passing the ball because you have to make a good throw and catch. To talk down on JT is absolutely ridiculous when you have no clue what really happened on that play. Also being a senior means absolutely nothing when it come to football. By that logic every senior should have gotten playing time. Are you a family member of laskey or close friend? I see no other reason to be upset about what happened.

Edit: I just watched it and laskey was not wide open, the defender was right on his back and by the time he cut up field ( which he did because he was not wide open) and did get open in the end zone JT had already pulled the ball down to run, it would have been almost impossible for him to pull back up and throw without being past the los. Maybe you should go re watch it.

Last edited:

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
I wasn't doubting laskey being open, but that doesn't mean he was his first check, actually laskey was probably he's third check considering he was our Bback and by then he was being pressured or saw an opening and took it. Who knows if JT even saw laskey. Not to mention when you have an opening to run for a TD the chances are more in favor of that than passing the ball because you have to make a good throw and catch. To talk down on JT is absolutely ridiculous when you have no clue what really happened on that play. Also being a senior means absolutely nothing when it come to football. By that logic every senior should have gotten playing time. Are you a family member of laskey or close friend? I see no other reason to be upset about what happened.

Edit: I just watched it and laskey was not wide open, the defender was right on his back and by the time he cut up field ( which he did because he was not wide open) and did get open in the end zone JT had already pulled the ball down to run, it would have been almost impossible for him to pull back up and throw without being past the los. Maybe you should go re watch it.

IMG_0192.PNG

As you can see he is not WIDE open here in the flats and if the ball was thrown he probably could have caught it but it was not a guarantee TD.

IMG_0193.PNG

And as you can see here, he is just now about to cut up field to get open but JT has clearly pulled the ball down to run, because it was a guarantee to get yards when the pass was not because he would have had to make a perfect throw on the run over the top of a defender.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
View attachment 2254
As you can see he is not WIDE open here in the flats and if the ball was thrown he probably could have caught it but it was not a guarantee TD.

View attachment 2255
And as you can see here, he is just now about to cut up field to get open but JT has clearly pulled the ball down to run, because it was a guarantee to get yards when the pass was not because he would have had to make a perfect throw on the run over the top of a defender.
So as a qb, he quickly sees an open area and runs towards it.
Would this translate into an ability as a receiver to know when to slightly adjust his speed ir route to stay in the "hole in the coverage" ?
Some call it seeing the play before it happens.
Jt has lots of tools.

Philhutch80

Jolly Good Fellow
4.21? Dreaming. Just dreaming. 4.6? He would have to be injured. IMHO, JT will be under 4.5 as much as he is ever over. I would bet on the under, if pressed.

Against Duke, he had no hammy injury. He simply had poor fitting pants and thigh pads and was trying to pull them up with his hands while he ran. Sadly, that sounds so TECH-like, when it comes to equipment.

JT would be hard to beat on the cone drills and shuttles etc. He would be at the top of the hill among skill guys. These are the things that matter most with slot type players. Short space separation, that is where JT is really noticeable when you watch the slo-mo stuff.

So in a few words... Russel Crapletics can be blamed for costing JT and GT a TD???
4.21 was not a dream and not hand timed as reported above.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
So in a few words... Russel Crapletics can be blamed for costing JT and GT a TD???
How do you know the 4.21 was not hand timed? I just checked and it does not specify if it was laser or hand timed.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
Snoddy got a better jump at the start and gained a step on Justin, but Justin stayed with Snoddy, stride for stride, until he gave up at the end. I'd say they were comparable in speed, Snoddy was a better starter.
I don't think shoddy got a better jump, but JT was right there with him untill he gave up.

Here's the video for anyone who hasn't seen it.

Dottie1145

Helluva Engineer
Snoddy got a better jump at the start and gained a step on Justin, but Justin stayed with Snoddy, stride for stride, until he gave up at the end. I'd say they were comparable in speed, Snoddy was a better starter.
Yes they WERE, JeT isn't as fast now as he was then.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Do you realize where 4.21 would place JT in the history of football runners? C'mon man. Has anybody ever run a 4.2 at the combine, ever? There have been a lot of really fast runners go into the league. Heck, 4.21 would have made JT .15 faster than Megatron himself. Do you really believe that? Have you seen NFL DBs try to stay with CJ over the years?