JT's future role

Dottie1145

Helluva Engineer

Attachments

• IMG_0586.PNG
    IMG_0586.PNG
    438.7 KB · Views: 47

Deleted member 2897

He was (correct me if I'm wrong) hand timed at 4.3 something which would be about 4.4 something electronic/combine. So he's not 4.3 fast, but he's still really fast.

OK, will do, feel free to time it yourself as many times as you like. You'll never get 4.4:

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
I had guessed 4.45 early on as an over and under prediction for his forty. Since he is a tenth under that, he may not be SEC fast but I think he has a decent shot at the NFL.

Funny that of the 7 guys at the NFL combine to run under 4.4, a total of zero were from the SEC. Of the 29 that ran under 4.45, 5 were from the SEC. 3 of the 29 were from Ohio State. I guess Ohio State is almost on par with the talent level of the entire SEC.

Eastman

Helluva Engineer
My "he may not be SEC fast" statement was of course in jest. If the other SEC teams don't start doing better, those types of references to the SEC in general may change to "he may not be Alabama fast" which is even now more appropriate imho.

Deleted member 2897

There's no way to accurately hand time this video. The angle prevents you from seeing when he passes the line.

Pick whatever point you want. At his speed, you could pick a yard or two past and it won't matter.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
My "he may not be SEC fast" statement was of course in jest. If the other SEC teams don't start doing better, those types of references to the SEC in general may change to "he may not be Alabama fast" which is even now more appropriate imho.

I didn't think you were serious. However, Alabama only had as many on the under 4.45 as Lamar University. Going by speed, the Southland Conference is right up there with Alabama.

Deleted member 2897

Pick whatever point you want. At his speed, you could pick a yard or two past and it won't matter.

What I mean by that, is that he covers 40 yards in 4.3 seconds. That's an average speed of 22.75 mph. At the end, he's running more like 25+ mph. At that speed, he covers 1.25 yards in 1/10th of a second. So if you try and time it manually and hit stop at yard 39 instead of 40, you'll be off by 0.07. If you stop it at yard 41, you'll be off by 0.07 seconds. So if his true time is 4.33, you'd measure 4.26 - 4.40 under those scenarios. The yardage markers are right there on the screen very close to the camera. I really don't think you can manually time it and be off by that much. I measured it several times and was at 4.32 as an average and never was off by more than a few hundredths of a second.

MikeJackets

Helluva Engineer
Justin Thomas should go to the CFL and play quarterback,he could be like Warren Moon and have such good stats that the NFL would be forced to notice. I think Justin would be a hit in the CFL and put up huge numbers.:cool:

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Justin Thomas should go to the CFL and play quarterback,he could be like Warren Moon and have such good stats that the NFL would be forced to notice. I think Justin would be a hit in the CFL and put up huge numbers.:cool:
Do you think he really throws well enough? Even in the CFL there is a premium on accuracy, I mean pinpoint, down the field.

Dottie1145

Helluva Engineer
There is a word for those who actually like to get hit. I never met one of them.
I didn't say he never liked it, I said he never embraced it. Big difference. Nesbitt didn't like getting hit, but if it meant the defender was going to bite hard, he would wait until the last moment to pitch it.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
Hand timed is almost always slower than laser. Ajc had an article saying he was clocked at 3.33 to a 3.38 which would normally be a 4.37 to a 4.42. Hand timed just isn't as accurate, wether being there or doing it from the video.

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
Holy moly. Why doesn't someone just get the two time stamps of the video when he starts moving and then when he crosses the line and just subtract? You are all arguing about something that we could almost definitively quantify (not sure what FPS the video is taken at so we could be off by a few frames).

This sounds like a job for longestday :)

JacketFromUGA

Helluva Engineer
Holy moly. Why doesn't someone just get the two time stamps of the video when he starts moving and then when he crosses the line and just subtract? You are all arguing about something that we could almost definitively quantify (not sure what FPS the video is taken at so we could be off by a few frames).

This sounds like a job for longestday :)
Here you go. Video is 29.99 fps

fqA5T1Y.png

then

n0QBIA5.png

so that is 4 seconds and 17 frames with me putting literally half a second of work into determining start and end frames.