Josh Okogie to hire agent and stay in NBA Draft

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
I agree with Doncic but not Trae Young. Young can be a superstar.

I don't like Young. Some people see Steph Curry, I see Seth Curry (at best).

That is probably the best description I have heard on Doncic. & I think it's funny how his fan boys all over twitter and youtube get so emotional if you say anyhing besides he is the greatest. Even if you said something totally level headed they would be like "you're racist" or "he is the next Lebron James."

Edit: let me go and find them again... shouldn't be hard

OMFG they are beyond awful.

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
You don't like Doncic but you like Zhaire Smith? That is an interesting take.

After seeing Doncic in Egypt I was sold.
All depends on the team. I agree fully with kg01’s assessment which is also why I don’t see him as a top pick. Just seems like a very solid role player at best. I want Zhaire Smith because I want someone who can play along side Kemba. We need a high flyer, high energy kind of guy that can do well without the ball in his hands. We’re already screwed because of Batum’s idiotic contract so I’m not expecting to do much for a few years anyways.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
Official release... Rambinwreck.com: JOSH OKOGIE TO REMAIN IN NBA DRAFT

May 21, 2018

THE FLATS - Georgia Tech sophomore Josh Okogie will keep his name in the pool for the NBA Draft and will not return to play for the Yellow Jackets, Okogie and head coach Josh Pastner announced Monday.

The 6-4 guard from Snellville, Ga., who earned third-team All-Atlantic Coast Conference honors in 2017-18, previously submitted his application to the NBA Undergraduate Advisory Committee and to the NBA in March, participated in workouts and interviews with NBA teams and attended the NBA Draft Combine last week in Chicago, where he tested and performed well.

"Josh is a tremendous young man and an excellent student-athlete," said Pastner. "He has set a tremendous example, making the Dean's List this past semester, and deserves a lot of credit for making himself a much better player over the course of his two years here. We will miss him in our program in many respects, from his performance on the court to the energy he plays with and brought to our team. We fully support his decision to take this next step, and wish him all the best."

Okogie ranked fourth in the ACC at 18.2 points per game as a sophomore, and averaged 16.9 points over his two seasons with the Yellow Jackets. He surpassed 1,000 career points, one of six Tech players ever to do so before the end of their sophomore years.

"I'd like to thank God, my family, my friends and my teammates, the coaching staff and the entire Georgia Tech community for their support over the last two years. I'll forever be a Georgia Tech Yellow Jacket," said Okogie, who also was a member of the USA Basketball U19 team last summer. "This has been a tremendous learning experience, and I'm excited about my future."

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Josh has been methodical about this. A few on here predicted (rightfully) that JO would shine in the NBA combine setting, and increase his stock. He did that, and probably more. I'm sure he got some assurances from certain teams that he would be taken if he was available at certain slots he was comfortable with.

I say this in the football forum a lot, when "Georgia Tech" is heard nationwide (worldwide really) in a setting where SAs are rewarded for their hard work like the pro drafts, that's nothing but good for our programs. Sure it hurts our on the court product when a player of JO's caliber leaves, but I think it helps us off the court with recruiting and program recognition.

Congrats to JO. IMO, he's going to be a good pro with his tools and the way the NBA game is being played now.

ChasonBaller

on Pastner Polo watch
I just hope he doesn't turn out like R.J. Hunter(Ga. St) Measurables and potential leading to being a late 1st and just could never find a fit in the NBA(he is currently dropping buckets in the D(G)-League)

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
I just hope he doesn't turn out like R.J. Hunter(Ga. St) Measurables and potential leading to being a late 1st and just could never find a fit in the NBA(he is currently dropping buckets in the D(G)-League)

I don't mean to offend your GASt sensibilities, but Hunter was always a marginal NBA guy due to lack of athleticism. His 1st round selection was a testament to Dan E. strAinge's awful draft acumen. He got his last 2 picks right but Hunter was among about 4-5 missed picks for the Selltics including James Young (who? exactly) in the lottery.

ball4life66

Helluva Engineer
I don't like Young. Some people see Steph Curry, I see Seth Curry (at best).

OMFG they are beyond awful.
Young led the nation in scoring and assists despite being the most heavily guarded player in the last 10 years. Seth Curry had a good freshman year at a small school.

Young is 10x a better prospect than Seth. Don’t see the comparison.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Young led the nation in scoring and assists despite being the most heavily guarded player in the last 10 years. Seth Curry had a good freshman year at a small school.

Young is 10x a better prospect than Seth. Don’t see the comparison.

In the NBA (which is the key here), Young and Seth are very similar.

Young is the better player but it's not a lock he'll be able to duplicate his college success against better players. Remember, once teams really started to gameplan for him, he struggled mightily.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
I would love to have seen Young with better teammates. Against Oklahoma an opponent could game plan around him and not get hurt.

Yeah, with better teammates, he would've put up 50/20 games I guess. :rolleyes:

He struggled because what OK was doing was always unsustainable. Had nothing to do with how good he was or how good his teammates weren't.

Also this ...

... yeah, 'cause that went well for you last time, JR? :cool: