Josh Okogie to hire agent and stay in NBA Draft

Connell62

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Coach Rio was at a GT networking event here in Forsyth Co. earlier today and I had a chance to speak with him while there. While he was uncertain of what his decision would be, he felt like Josh had earned the first round with performance at the combine. He also talked about how hard of a worker Josh was at his craft, and how that would resonate with NBA people.

He also talked a little about how much him being selected as a first rounder would help with our recruiting. He mentioned that being able to tout taking a 3* kid and turning him into a first rounder in our program, in just two years, would be gold on the recruiting trail. I’m really rooting for Josh O as he deserves it and it would pay huge dividends for us.

BTW, if you’ve never had an opportunity to meet Mario, he’s an absolutely great representative for GT, and he’s going to make a great coach down the line.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
You realize that most first round picks in the NBA are busts right? The chances of getting a top player outside of the top 10 is unlikely.

With caveat that last year was a weak draft, relative this year, you make an excellent point. I am not sure where to draw the line between still developing and bust. But this shows the first decisions are not all sure bets.

2017 first round pick and ppg in NBA

1. 76ers: Markelle Fultz – injured

2. Lakers: Lonzo Ball – 10 ppg

3. Celtics: Jayson Tatum - 14 ppg

4. Suns: Josh Jackson 13 ppg

5. Kings: DeAaron Fox 11.6 ppg

6. Magic: Jonathan Isaac 5.4 ppg

7. Bulls: Lauri Markkanen 15 ppg

8. Knicks: Frank Ntilikina 6 ppg

9. Mavericks: Dennis Smith Jr. 15 ppg

10. Trail Blazers: Zach Collins 4.4 ppg

11. Hornets: Malik Monk 6.7 ppg

12. Pistons: Luke Kennard 7.6 ppg

13. Jazz: Donovan Mitchell 20 ppg

14. Heat: Bam Adebayo 6.9 ppg

15. Kings: Justin Jackson 6.7 ppg

16. Bulls: Justin Patton injured

17. Bucks: DJ Wilson G league

18. Pacers: TJ Leaf - 2.9 ppg

19. Hawks: John Collins 10.5 ppg

20. Kings: Harry Giles - bust, so far

21. Thunder: Terrance Ferguson 3.1 ppg

22. Nets: Jarrett Allen 8.2 ppg

23. Raptors: OG Anunoby 5.9 ppg

24. Nuggets: Tyler Lydon - G league

25. 76ers: Andzejs Pasecniks – plays in Europe

26. Trail Blazers: Caleb Swanigan 2.3 ppg

27. Lakers: Kyle Kuzma 16 ppg

28. Jazz: Tony Bradley 0.9 ppg

29. Spurs: Derrick White 3.2 ppg

30. Lakers: Josh Hart 7.9 ppg

tbglover

Ramblin' Wreck
With caveat that last year was a weak draft, relative this year, you make an excellent point. I am not sure where to draw the line between still developing and bust. But this shows the first decisions are not all sure bets.

First of all last year's draft was considered to be a good class particularly at the top and so far so good on many of the prospects. Secondly it is completely wrong to call Harry Giles a bust. He has not played a minute to this point because the team that drafted him decided that they wanted him to redshirt this year. Only time will tell with him though you did acknowledge that.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
First of all last year's draft was considered to be a good class particularly at the top and so far so good on many of the prospects. Secondly it is completely wrong to call Harry Giles a bust. He has not played a minute to this point because the team that drafted him decided that they wanted him to redshirt this year. Only time will tell with him though you did acknowledge that.
Maybe Giles is the next coming of Bill Russell, but he was not injured and did not play this year. What constitutes your definition of a bust?

SidewalkJacket

Helluva Engineer
It interesting to look at the draft order and think which teams might be interested JO in the first round. I think he is a risky first round pick for a team that has only one chance to get a top player. The Hawks have three, so they are the most obvious pick if you were going to bet. I think the Hawks will go for a big with their first pick. Assuming that happens, I believe they will go for an off guard with pick #19. I cannot imagine that will be JO. So, you come down to pick #30. Would the Hawks take another off-guard? When they have Kent Bazemore for two more years and Tyler Dorsey is guaranteed $1.4 million next season? It seems to me that JO would be a wasted pick for the Hawks in the first round, where his contract would be guaranteed. Do the Hawks really need four off guards? They could take JO at #30 and assign him to the G league. Financially that would be good for JO, but not for his "stay in the league" dreams.

I think the more likely place for him to be picked is by the 76ers in the 2nd round. They have five picks overall and three in the 2nd round. If that happens JO would likely have no guarantee and a likely spot in the G league for the entire season. Would he give a shot at the 1st round next season for that? I think the buzz he is getting this year will help, but maybe not this year.

I think ATL can afford to gamble with 1, maybe 2 of their 4 picks. JO would be a gamble at 30 or 34 even with his great combine. But he’s the kind of guy I think the new coach would like, and he could easily be a better Baze if he improves his ballhandling.

This combine for JO, however, is essentially like having a great tourney run. His stock is high, and he would have to have a great season again next year with no injury to raise it higher.

He gone...

ChasonBaller

on Pastner Polo watch

Kennard over Mitchell at 12 :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: I said the same thing when the Pacers took T.J. Leaf over John Collins....Hawks grabbed him with the next pick :cool:

ChasonBaller

on Pastner Polo watch
Hawks update:
I was able to talk(off record so, no names #AdamSchefter #Sources #LookAtMeSoCool) the Hawks are sold on Trae Young. Would drive in fans to help with the rebuild and they believe he can be a franchise changing player. They think Bagley is going 2nd to the Kings because Luka doesn't want to play in Sacrame........
sorry, fell asleep just thinking about Sacremento basketball. So the Hawks would move back and trade with a team who fell in love with European Kyle Anderson- Luka Doncic & then take Trae Young with more assets added to the Travis Schlenk collection.

This could be all smoke, and I'm not sure how it would work out but as long as Okogie lands on the Hawks/non-rival team we are good lol. I'm cool with getting Trae Young but my perfect scenario would be Bagley at 3 and then trade back up for the Young Bull, Collin Sexton. Part II-Trae Young and Michael Porter Jr. Both ideas would cost picks/take back a bad veteran contract(s)/and most likely Schröder.

Sidenote: If the Hawks don't take Okogie with the 30th or 34th, sign me up for the White Red Mamba out of Nova!

tbglover

Ramblin' Wreck
Maybe Giles is the next coming of Bill Russell, but he was not injured and did not play this year. What constitutes your definition of a bust?
A bust does not live up to expectations. A highly drafted player who is trash such as Anthony Bennett or Shawn Respert. A player like Harry Giles who wasn't injured but didn't play because the team did not want him to play so that he could focus on insuring that his knees were 100% is not a bust. At least not to this point.

Last edited:

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
Are we full now and waiting for Josh to go pro. If he goes which seems more and more likely, do we have a target to offer or do we just hold what we have with one left open.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
If I were the Kings GM, and I wanted a SG in the #2 spot, why would I take a big? Especially when sitting at #10 is Philadelphia, who also wants a SG in the first round and possesses five picks. Swap places with the 76ers and take a chance on getting Mikal Bridges. But, why would the Kings draft a SG at #10. They have four off guards on their roster now with $31 million guaranteed. The Kings primary issue is their current roster is a mess. Even if it were not in Sacremento, I can understand why Doncic would prefer Madrid over the Kings.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Another interesting trade rumor is that the Suns might be willing to trade the #1 pick for the "right" deal. I bet the right deal would have to include Tyson Chandler, and his $13,000,000 salary, leaving Phoenix along with the #1 pick. Chandler has said he wants to leave Phoenix and end his career with a winner. The problem is, who would take Chandler, who is 35 and has two years remaining on his contract? Houston doesn't have a first round pick and would be a nice spot for Deandre Ayton. What would the Rockets have to offer to the Suns in order to get Ayton???

A Love Supreme

Ramblin' Wreck
Hawks update:
I was able to talk(off record so, no names #AdamSchefter #Sources #LookAtMeSoCool) the Hawks are sold on Trae Young. Would drive in fans to help with the rebuild and they believe he can be a franchise changing player. They think Bagley is going 2nd to the Kings because Luka doesn't want to play in Sacrame........
sorry, fell asleep just thinking about Sacremento basketball. So the Hawks would move back and trade with a team who fell in love with European Kyle Anderson- Luka Doncic & then take Trae Young with more assets added to the Travis Schlenk collection.

This could be all smoke, and I'm not sure how it would work out but as long as Okogie lands on the Hawks/non-rival team we are good lol. I'm cool with getting Trae Young but my perfect scenario would be Bagley at 3 and then trade back up for the Young Bull, Collin Sexton. Part II-Trae Young and Michael Porter Jr. Both ideas would cost picks/take back a bad veteran contract(s)/and most likely Schröder.

Sidenote: If the Hawks don't take Okogie with the 30th or 34th, sign me up for the White Red Mamba out of Nova!

I would love for the Hawks to draft Trae Young. What did your source say about trading Dennis Schroder? I would love to see that too.

ChasonBaller

on Pastner Polo watch
Hawks update:

Appears to help this claim

D-man44

Helluva Engineer
Don't know if you are correct, but there are going to be good options for the Hawks at #3.
Just how I view it. JJJ's numbers are eerily similar too Embiid's stats in college and I think defensive instincts are harder to teach than fixing JJJ's offense. Could be wrong I trust Schlenk. I will say Trae Young's defense isn't as big a deal for me as players like Bagley because he is easier to hide. Circling back to Josh, he would actually hypothetically be a good fit next to someone like Young as he could guard the better offensive player with his freakish frame/athleticism.

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
Whoever drafts him would still hold his rights unless they get rid of them.

Draft rights only last one year. Depending on how the team and player work things he may have a second year where he is under draft rights - but to a second team. In pretty much every scenario I think he is a free agent after 2 years.

https://moorebasketball.com/2016/05/30/how-it-works-draft-rights-and-signing-draft-picks/

Not sure if this kid is already under a Euro contract for next year but my bet is he can tell any NBA team he doesn't want to play for to go pound sand.