Josh Okogie to hire agent and stay in NBA Draft

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
I’m not sure this is bad news, in fact I think it might be great news. Huge win for Okogie, in the long run a win for Pastner. The dude certainly needs so good things to happen to the program if he’s going to survive & nothing’s better than Turing a 3 star into a 1st round draft pick.

Looks like we’re going to ride the Pastner bus for a while, so let’s hope this is a good omen. I think it very well may be.

I think having him stay and making the tourney in year 3 would be better. But there is definitely a way to spin it in a positive way. Hope it helps recruiting. The challenge is going to be keeping fans engaged if we are indeed looking at another lost year (which Im not conceding).

No doubt this was the right call for Josh, though.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I am not writing off this season yet, but I am also not going to being drinking any Kool aid. I think we have the nucleus of a decent middle of the ACC team. But, we have to have our young guys step up.

slugboy

Staff member
I am not writing off this season yet, but I am also not going to being drinking any Kool aid. I think we have the nucleus of a decent middle of the ACC team. But, we have to have our young guys step up.
A bit earlier than expected. One more player would be nice

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
The problem with Schroder wanting out is that no one else wants him. He plays below average defensive, is a terrible shooter and has an awful contract.

I’d love for the Hawks to get Josh. It would be the only reason to watch them

Schroder is a 24 year old PG that averaged 19 & 6. There’s a market.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Schroder is a 24 year old PG that averaged 19 & 6. There’s a market.

Yeah, folks gotta be careful with judging Dennis based on a tank year. He's not a bad defender and his shooting has improved. What depresses his value is his attitude, not his play.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
The last time we lost our best player to the draft early and our best rebounder was 03 when Bosh and Nelson left. We all know what happened the next year!!!!
2019 Final 4 Here we come!!!

Yes! We're in the exact same situation ... o_O

ChasonBaller

on Pastner Polo watch
Schröder has the ability to be a good defender as he showed in his earlier years. As his role on offense increased, his defensive effort became :poop:

With the new coach being defensive minded, if Dennis is still on the team and doesn't put in the effort, we will be seeing a lot of Isaiah Taylor and or Trae Young/Collin Sexton :cool: #YeahISaidIt

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Schröder has the ability to be a good defender as he showed in his earlier years. As his role on offense increased, his defensive effort became :poop:

With the new coach being defensive minded, if Dennis is still on the team and doesn't put in the effort, we will be seeing a lot of Isaiah Taylor and or Trae Young/Collin Sexton :cool: #YeahISaidIt

I think you misspelled 'Michael Porter, Jr./Mo Bamba'. :whistle:

As an aside, smells like Sexton is dropping based on measuring a bit smaller than expected. He's barely taller than Young.

ball4life66

Helluva Engineer
I’d take Bagley at #3 if not trade down a few spots for Trae Young. Hawks need a franchise player...I don’t see that with JJJ/Bamba. Porter possibly but way too risky with his back and he hasn’t proven anything above HS.

LargeFO

Helluva Engineer
I’d take Bagley at #3 if not trade down a few spots for Trae Young. Hawks need a franchise player...I don’t see that with JJJ/Bamba. Porter possibly but way too risky with his back and he hasn’t proven anything above HS.

I like Collin sexton more than trae young. I know I'm in the minority there but I just don't see young holding up very long and being consistent.

ball4life66

Helluva Engineer
I like Collin sexton more than trae young. I know I'm in the minority there but I just don't see young holding up very long and being consistent.
I like Sexton but Young’s shooting, passing and upside is too good to pass up. I see a lot of people underrating his passing ability especially.

slugboy

Staff member

I'm glad you caught that Lloyd Pierce is a defensive-minded coach. I'd say that Schröder has gone from occasionally showing flashes of ability to play defense to basically wanting a trade.

Pulled his Melo stats: https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/carmelo/dennis-schroder/. He comes out as an average starter (which is hard to pick up in the draft easily, I'd say). His stats didn't just suddenly tank this year--he was in 2017-18 what he was in 2015.

Batum is declining, but has been playing better.

Last edited:

slugboy

Staff member
I agree except drafting JJJ. I'd rather have Trae Young or Bagley. But the question is what team would want to trade for Schroder?
He's got good scoring and passing skills. He's a legit starting guard, even if he's not an All-Star. I think he'd be a starter for 1/3rd or more of the teams in the NBA. Plus, I think Budenholzer still likes him. I think you could get a good defender/combo guard or a wing for him. I wouldn't expect much of a draft pick.

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
He's got good scoring and passing skills. He's a legit starting guard, even if he's not an All-Star. I think he'd be a starter for 1/3rd or more of the teams in the NBA. Plus, I think Budenholzer still likes him. I think you could get a good defender/combo guard or a wing for him. I wouldn't expect much of a draft pick.

Exactly. He’s still young. He’s a legit starter and averaged 19 & 6.

I agree except drafting JJJ. I'd rather have Trae Young or Bagley. But the question is what team would want to trade for Schroder?

Cleveland needs a point guard.
Phoenix needs a point guard.
Indiana
Milwaukee
Just off the top of the head.

JJJ actually plays defense and has a consistent jumper. Can’t say Bagley has a jumper and neither play any defense.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
Commercial Appeal: Josh Okogie is primary focus in Grizzlies’ pre-draft workout (includes 1.5 min video interview)
Georgia Tech’s Josh Okogie was in town Thursday as the most prominent player working out with Braian Angola (Florida State), Justin Bibbs (Virginia Tech), Chris Chiozza (Florida and White Station), Admiral Schofield (Tennessee) and Jonathan Stark (Murray State).

But only Okogie is in the mix for the Grizzlies’ 32nd pick.

“It was important to get him in,” Grizzlies general manager Chris Wallace said. “The 32nd pick is extremely important. Look at last year. … We didn’t have a second-round pick going in and we got Ivan Rabb at 35 and Dillon Brooks at 45. We take that pick very seriously. We think this year’s 32nd pick will probably be better than a late 20s pick in the first round next year.”

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
As much as i would have liked him to return I wish Josh lots of success. His showing at the combine certainly sealed the deal.
I've seen 5 full mock drafts since the combine and 3 have him in the late 1st round, a fourth has him at #32 and SI is the outlier at #42.

If you look at his measurements and performance at the combine he compares favorably to 3 other prospects who he would be competing with for a draft spot and who are all seen as 1st rounders right now (i'll post those numbers in a separate message).