Josh Okogie to hire agent and stay in NBA Draft

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Draft rights only last one year. Depending on how the team and player work things he may have a second year where he is under draft rights - but to a second team. In pretty much every scenario I think he is a free agent after 2 years.

https://moorebasketball.com/2016/05/30/how-it-works-draft-rights-and-signing-draft-picks/

Not sure if this kid is already under a Euro contract for next year but my bet is he can tell any NBA team he doesn't want to play for to go pound sand.
I read he can sign an extension for €2 million. While that is not chump change, the rookie contract for a 2nd round pick is about $15 million/year. I am going to paraphrase one of my favorite philosophers, "He who has a why to live [play in Europe] can bear almost any how" - Friedrich Nietzsche. But leaving more than $10 million per year on the table needs a helluva "why."

mstranahan

Helluva Engineer
Rookie contracts for second round picks are less than $1mm per year and are not guaranteed.

1st pick overall gets $6,746,000 guaranteed in year one
30th pick gets $1,338,000 guaranteed in year one.

€2mm is roughly the same (depends on FX) as #15 pick

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
I havent read all of this thread so if this is redundant i apologize.

One thing that i think needs to be heavily considered here that seems not to be talked about is: This is Josh's dream. His dream is to play in the NBA. After the season he just experienced, injury, suspension, 2 of his coaches have left the program, enduring a 13-19 season and now you just lost one of best big men in the conference and one of the best 6th men in the conference (who was also his running mate outside of Alston), you have to think it probably wasnt the most fun he has ever had.

Everyone here seems to want to think this is purely a business decision. When you consider all of the above and compare it to possibly getting paid to play with almost none of those distractions (save the wins and losses) and you can see why its likely he is probably gone. Not to mention the fact that he is killing it at the combine. While those scrimmages are mostly garbage, when you combine his on court performance with measurables and Josh's very likable personality, you have to think he is getting a lot of good feedback.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
This Sporting News mock puts him at #28 to the Warriors
NBA Mock Draft 2018, post-lottery edition: Suns, Cavs make tough calls with first-round picks
28. Warriors — Josh Okogie, SG, Georgia Tech

Okogie hasn’t actually made his final decision on whether he’ll stay in the draft this year, but if he does, he could be a riser during the pre-draft process.

The 6-4 guard stands out as a potential defensive stopper due to his length, strength and athleticism. He’s also a career 38.2 percent shooter from behind the arc. Okogie isn’t a first-round projected prospect yet, but he could end up here by the time the draft rolls around.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
One of the things that puzzles me about these mock drafts is that the teams have other options than waiting their turn. For example, look at GS. They have four centers on their roster. Zaza Pachulia and David West are playing only mop up minutes and both could retire. Kevin Looney is an unrestricted free agent the Warriors will not resign him. JaVale McGee does not really fit the Warriors style of play, nor is he likely to log many minutes in a game. What the Warriors need is help at the five. I would not be surprised to see them unload some contracts in an effort to trade up and get a big in the draft. And, I see Phoenix and Sacramento thinking about trading their picks.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
I havent read all of this thread so if this is redundant i apologize.

One thing that i think needs to be heavily considered here that seems not to be talked about is: This is Josh's dream. His dream is to play in the NBA. After the season he just experienced, injury, suspension, 2 of his coaches have left the program, enduring a 13-19 season and now you just lost one of best big men in the conference and one of the best 6th men in the conference (who was also his running mate outside of Alston), you have to think it probably wasnt the most fun he has ever had.

Everyone here seems to want to think this is purely a business decision. When you consider all of the above and compare it to possibly getting paid to play with almost none of those distractions (save the wins and losses) and you can see why its likely he is probably gone. Not to mention the fact that he is killing it at the combine. While those scrimmages are mostly garbage, when you combine his on court performance with measurables and Josh's very likable personality, you have to think he is getting a lot of good feedback.

I said all this before but you guys don't listen to me. *sigh* :(

Improved form, imo. Higher release. Consistent wrist snap.

Ron said a consistent wrist snap got him a lotta friends in central booking. Heigh-ohhhh

Seriously though, great to see Oko getting all the pub he garnered last week. Stinks for us but it's always good to see one of our guys do well at the next level.

One of the things that puzzles me about these mock drafts is that the teams have other options than waiting their turn. For example, look at GS. They have four centers on their roster. Zaza Pachulia and David West are playing only mop up minutes and both could retire. Kevin Looney is an unrestricted free agent the Warriors will not resign him. JaVale McGee does not really fit the Warriors style of play, nor is he likely to log many minutes in a game. What the Warriors need is help at the five. I would not be surprised to see them unload some contracts in an effort to trade up and get a big in the draft. And, I see Phoenix and Sacramento thinking about trading their picks.

First of all, good drafting teams don't use the current roster to determine who they draft. BPA, BPA, BPA

Second, don't believe these smoke reports of top 3 teams trading their picks.

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
Appears to help this claim

I don’t see why anyone loves this guy. Seems like a solid player but not a lottery pick. I’ve really only seen highlights but he doesn’t seem overly agile and has a slow release. I’m not overly sold on Trae Young either but if you want a knockoff Curry, go for it. I just want the Hornets to draft Zhaire Smith which won’t happen. They’ll draft some Kentucky bust but Kemba + Zhaire would be magical.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
I don’t see why anyone loves this guy. Seems like a solid player but not a lottery pick. I’ve really only seen highlights but he doesn’t seem overly agile and has a slow release. I’m not overly sold on Trae Young either but if you want a knockoff Curry, go for it. I just want the Hornets to draft Zhaire Smith which won’t happen. They’ll draft some Kentucky bust but Kemba + Zhaire would be magical.

Doncic is, to me, a SF version of Al Horford. Super solid. When surrounded by elite guys, contributes tremendously to winning. When left to fend for himself, is very average. That's what I expect from Doncic. On a decent team, he'll elevate them to pretty good. On a really good team, he'll elevate them to elite. On a bad team, he'll be pretty mediocre. If he lands in say MEM, he'll look pretty good for them because they have 2 all-star(ish) players. On ATL, he'll be bad due to new system, young non-winning players, etc.

Doncic is the white Evan Turner. At best, he's Hedo Turkoglu.

I feel bad for CHA. Just don't draft well. Now they have Kupchak who's literally done nothing good without having Jerry West in the building. I feel your pain.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
In case JO stays in the draft:

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Towson sophomore guard Zane Martin received his release and will transfer, source told ESPN.<br><br>Averaged 19.8 points this past season, was second-team all-CAA.</p>&mdash; Jeff Borzello (@jeffborzello) <a href="">May 21, 2018</a></blockquote>
<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer

You don't like Doncic but you like Zhaire Smith? That is an interesting take.

After seeing Doncic in Egypt I was sold.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
You don't like Doncic but you like Zhaire Smith? That is an interesting take.

After seeing Doncic in Egypt I was sold.

Oh hey, can he play against that same comp instead of actual NBA rosters and NBA rules and such? That'd be sweet. Mmkay, thanks.

Oh hey, ya know who the last MVP of the Final 4 over there was? Epke Udoh. Who's that? Oh, that's a guy who was a spectacular draft bust who now couldn't even get a 10-day in the NBA.

#ContextMattersBrah

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
Oh hey, can he play against that same comp instead of actual NBA rosters and NBA rules and such? That'd be sweet. Mmkay, thanks.

Oh hey, ya know who the last MVP of the Final 4 over there was? Epke Udoh. Who's that? Oh, that's a guy who was a spectacular draft bust who now couldn't even get a 10-day in the NBA.

#ContextMattersBrah

Why are you writing like a high school sophomore cheerleader?

ball4life66

Helluva Engineer
I agree with Doncic but not Trae Young. Young can be a superstar.

ChasonBaller

on Pastner Polo watch
Doncic is, to me, a SF version of Al Horford. Super solid. When surrounded by elite guys, contributes tremendously to winning. When left to fend for himself, is very average. That's what I expect from Doncic. On a decent team, he'll elevate them to pretty good. On a really good team, he'll elevate them to elite. On a bad team, he'll be pretty mediocre. If he lands in say MEM, he'll look pretty good for them because they have 2 all-star(ish) players. On ATL, he'll be bad due to new system, young non-winning players, etc.

Doncic is the white Evan Turner. At best, he's Hedo Turkoglu.

I feel bad for CHA. Just don't draft well. Now they have Kupchak who's literally done nothing good without having Jerry West in the building. I feel your pain.
That is probably the best description I have heard on Doncic. & I think it's funny how his fan boys all over twitter and youtube get so emotional if you say anyhing besides he is the greatest. Even if you said something totally level headed they would be like "you're racist" or "he is the next Lebron James."

SteamWhistle

Helluva Engineer
98428939-C13A-41FC-95C2-2DCA84D1A510.png

He gone.

ChasonBaller

on Pastner Polo watch
Zhaire is Shannon Brown until he gets a jumpshot(which I think he will in a few years). But you won't have to worry because it looks like MJ likes adding senior white bigs every year(Zeller, Kaminsky, Miles Plumlee, etc.) Hey, at least you have a chance at getting a Lammers jersey (y)