Josh Okogie to hire agent and stay in NBA Draft

H-Wade

Ramblin' Wreck
Good for Josh, I'm happy for him! He must be on cloud 9 right now with all of the positive feedback, it shows that hard work pays off. I'll miss him and our team will miss him even more but this is a dream come true.

I just wish we didn't have such bad luck lately. We find a 3 star diamond in the rough but only get him for two years. Only at GT.

ETA: Actually we only had him for 1.5 years because of course. This is GT, we can do that!!

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/...om-trae-youngs-swagger-to-mo-bambas-wingspan/

Most impressive athlete
The most impressive display of athleticism at the combine came from Georgia Techsophomore guard Josh Okogie.

Okogie had an excellent sophomore season for Georgia Tech -- he averaged 18.2 points, 6.3 rebounds and 2.5 assists and shot 38 percent from 3 -- but his even more impressive numbers came at the combine.

Okogie tied for the event's top vertical leap along with Villanova's Donte DiVincenzoat 42 inches. He also had the fastest three-quarter court sprint (3.04 seconds) and the fifth-fastest shuttle run (3.03 seconds).

It's possible that Okogie played himself into the first round by posting such stellar numbers in front of NBA executives. He also had decent scrimmage games; he scored 12 points in the first scrimmage, displaying good shooting as well as good perimeter defense, then 14 points in the second scrimmage.

https://www.si.com/nba/2018/05/18/nba-draft-combine-stock-rise-fall-may-30-deadline-players

Rising: Josh Okogie, SG, Georgia Tech
Okogie was better on Thursday than Friday, but on the whole he fortified his case to remain in the draft. His strong build and athletic tools are ideal for his role as an off-guard who plays both ends of the floor and adds a little bit of everything. After spending the season anchoring a struggling Georgia Tech team in a large role, it was positive to see Okogie rise to the level of talent around him. He does have a bit of an on/off switch, particularly on defense, but when engaged he really stood out moving his feet on the perimeter. His shot selection and occasionally wild play is also a concern. Okogie’s not a lock for the first round but you can see it happening, particularly given he doesn’t turn 20 until September.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/...om-trae-youngs-swagger-to-mo-bambas-wingspan/

Most impressive athlete
The most impressive display of athleticism at the combine came from Georgia Techsophomore guard Josh Okogie.

Okogie had an excellent sophomore season for Georgia Tech -- he averaged 18.2 points, 6.3 rebounds and 2.5 assists and shot 38 percent from 3 -- but his even more impressive numbers came at the combine.

Okogie tied for the event's top vertical leap along with Villanova's Donte DiVincenzoat 42 inches. He also had the fastest three-quarter court sprint (3.04 seconds) and the fifth-fastest shuttle run (3.03 seconds).

It's possible that Okogie played himself into the first round by posting such stellar numbers in front of NBA executives. He also had decent scrimmage games; he scored 12 points in the first scrimmage, displaying good shooting as well as good perimeter defense, then 14 points in the second scrimmage.

https://www.si.com/nba/2018/05/18/nba-draft-combine-stock-rise-fall-may-30-deadline-players

Rising: Josh Okogie, SG, Georgia Tech
Okogie was better on Thursday than Friday, but on the whole he fortified his case to remain in the draft. His strong build and athletic tools are ideal for his role as an off-guard who plays both ends of the floor and adds a little bit of everything. After spending the season anchoring a struggling Georgia Tech team in a large role, it was positive to see Okogie rise to the level of talent around him. He does have a bit of an on/off switch, particularly on defense, but when engaged he really stood out moving his feet on the perimeter. His shot selection and occasionally wild play is also a concern. Okogie’s not a lock for the first round but you can see it happening, particularly given he doesn’t turn 20 until September.
I watched a replay of the Friday game last night. Nothing, absolutely nothing, about that game reminded me of the NBA. For the most part he was the third option in a system where the guys at #1 and #2 did not want want to pass up any opportunity to shine. One telling comment in the si.com link was that he has an on/off switch on defense. That may be the result of playing for two seasons in a zone with Ben behind him on defense and trying conserve his energy for the load he had to carry on the other end of he floor. The other interesting line in that story is that his shot selection and wild play are concerns. I noticed both of these in the game last night.

My take on Josh at this point is that he is a gifted athlete with a huge upside. But, he still needs to develop his skills and mental attitude toward the game. The question for NBA people is whether Josh's upside is worth a pick this year, or would it be better to hope he's around in 2019. I think enough scouts will make him think he'll be drafted to lure him away from Ga Tech. Then hope hope no one picks him so they can try to sign him as an undrafted free agent later. That is the worst case scenario for him and Ga Tech.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I am still wondering what the NBA people are hoping to see in the scrimmages. The play is awful. The play is self centered. At times it seems guys make plays (or fail to make plays) out of desperation. Clearly, the testing tells the execs a lot, but these scrimmages seem a waste of time.

ball4life66

Helluva Engineer
I watched a replay of the Friday game last night. Nothing, absolutely nothing, about that game reminded me of the NBA. For the most part he was the third option in a system where the guys at #1 and #2 did not want want to pass up any opportunity to shine. One telling comment in the si.com link was that he has an on/off switch on defense. That may be the result of playing for two seasons in a zone with Ben behind him on defense and trying conserve his energy for the load he had to carry on the other end of he floor. The other interesting line in that story is that his shot selection and wild play are concerns. I noticed both of these in the game last night.

My take on Josh at this point is that he is a gifted athlete with a huge upside. But, he still needs to develop his skills and mental attitude toward the game. The question for NBA people is whether Josh's upside is worth a pick this year, or would it be better to hope he's around in 2019. I think enough scouts will make him think he'll be drafted to lure him away from Ga Tech. Then hope hope no one picks him so they can try to sign him as an undrafted free agent later. That is the worst case scenario for him and Ga Tech.
Except there is no shot he goes undrafted. He’s looking like a high 2nd round pick at worst.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
I am still wondering what the NBA people are hoping to see in the scrimmages. The play is awful. The play is self centered. At times it seems guys make plays (or fail to make plays) out of desperation. Clearly, the testing tells the execs a lot, but these scrimmages seem a waste of time.
Just my opinion as I've wondered the same thing... I personally think they're watching more for relative athleticism, body language, and confidence/comfort in a new and seemingly uncomfortable situation. From what I gather most don't put much stock into the 5-on-5 performance as they've seen years of tape on all the guys.

My understanding is the only exception is when some guy just completely goes bonkers in the scrimmages, which might generate a closer look at their tape. Kyle Kuzma was that guy last year. I haven't heard of a similar output this year. Even when you look at the reviews of Okogie, the glowing reviews are largely based on measurables. The comments re: his 5-on-5 play are "good" and "decent", the latter I pulled from one of @RamblinRed's link above where JO was labeled the "most impressive athlete".

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
... JO was labeled the "most impressive athlete".
Yes, I noticed that one also. What I am not seeing is anything that mitigates the questions about his readiness for the NBA. It is refreshing to see him doing well in the areas where he has excelled, so I do not want this seen as a JO put down. My question is, does it matter on an NBA roster if his vertical leap is 42 inches or 40.5 inches? Or, if he runs the 3q in a quarter of a second slower?

brandon_cox

Jolly Good Fellow
Josh Okogie | SG | Georgia Tech

The 19-year-old sophomore turned in an excellent combine performance across the board, shining in both scrimmages, measuring 6-4½, 211 pounds with a 7-0 wingspan while posting the top athletic composite score of any player to participate. Okogie's closest athletic testing comparison in recent years is Utah Jazz star Donovan Mitchell, and his sprint time ranks in the top 1 percent of all-time combine results. With a physical profile somewhat similar to Norman Powell (much stronger at the same age), Okogie showcased his tremendous defensive versatility, checking up to four positions for stretches while tracking down 50-50 balls, attacking the rim in space and knocking down 2-of-4 open 3s.

Okogie, who is younger than some freshmen in this draft, still really lacks as a ball handler in the half court. His feel for the game is limited, regularly driving with his head down in traffic or pulling up for a contested 2 in transition. Some of that is a product of playing a go-to scoring role on an underwhelming Georgia Tech team, but his lack of offensive polish is his clear downside right now. With that said, his defensive versatility, toughness, athletic profile and shooting potential could help him sneak into the first-round conversation should he decide to stay in the draft.

http://www.espn.com/nba/insider/sto...ft-stock-watch-combine-risers-fallers-hearing

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I think they can snag him with the 34 pick in the second round.

BPA at 3 and 19, then upside picks at 30 and 34. JO would fit that nicely...
It interesting to look at the draft order and think which teams might be interested JO in the first round. I think he is a risky first round pick for a team that has only one chance to get a top player. The Hawks have three, so they are the most obvious pick if you were going to bet. I think the Hawks will go for a big with their first pick. Assuming that happens, I believe they will go for an off guard with pick #19. I cannot imagine that will be JO. So, you come down to pick #30. Would the Hawks take another off-guard? When they have Kent Bazemore for two more years and Tyler Dorsey is guaranteed $1.4 million next season? It seems to me that JO would be a wasted pick for the Hawks in the first round, where his contract would be guaranteed. Do the Hawks really need four off guards? They could take JO at #30 and assign him to the G league. Financially that would be good for JO, but not for his "stay in the league" dreams.

I think the more likely place for him to be picked is by the 76ers in the 2nd round. They have five picks overall and three in the 2nd round. If that happens JO would likely have no guarantee and a likely spot in the G league for the entire season. Would he give a shot at the 1st round next season for that? I think the buzz he is getting this year will help, but maybe not this year.

ball4life66

Helluva Engineer
It interesting to look at the draft order and think which teams might be interested JO in the first round. I think he is a risky first round pick for a team that has only one chance to get a top player. The Hawks have three, so they are the most obvious pick if you were going to bet. I think the Hawks will go for a big with their first pick. Assuming that happens, I believe they will go for an off guard with pick #19. I cannot imagine that will be JO. So, you come down to pick #30. Would the Hawks take another off-guard? When they have Kent Bazemore for two more years and Tyler Dorsey is guaranteed $1.4 million next season? It seems to me that JO would be a wasted pick for the Hawks in the first round, where his contract would be guaranteed. Do the Hawks really need four off guards? They could take JO at #30 and assign him to the G league. Financially that would be good for JO, but not for his "stay in the league" dreams.

I think the more likely place for him to be picked is by the 76ers in the 2nd round. They have five picks overall and three in the 2nd round. If that happens JO would likely have no guarantee and a likely spot in the G league for the entire season. Would he give a shot at the 1st round next season for that? I think the buzz he is getting this year will help, but maybe not this year.
You realize that most first round picks in the NBA are busts right? The chances of getting a top player outside of the top 10 is unlikely. Okogie has the length, athleticism, production and upside teams are looking for...and he’s only 19. I don’t consider him a risky pick in the 20s.

Too early to tell what the Hawks will do. With Schroder wanting out, I can easily see a PG being the choice at #19. I wouldn’t be surprised if the Hawks packaged multiple picks to get higher in the draft as well.

brandon_cox

Jolly Good Fellow
The problem with Schroder wanting out is that no one else wants him. He plays below average defensive, is a terrible shooter and has an awful contract.

I’d love for the Hawks to get Josh. It would be the only reason to watch them

ball4life66

Helluva Engineer
The problem with Schroder wanting out is that no one else wants him. He plays below average defensive, is a terrible shooter and has an awful contract.

I’d love for the Hawks to get Josh. It would be the only reason to watch them
And with his arrest in Brookhaven his value is no where near what it was the last couple of years. Still a talented player and only 24 years old.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
If the Hawks don't pick him, I'd love to see him go to the Dubs at 28. They're great at player development and they need someone to groom behind Klay.

I question that about GS now. In recent years past, yeah. Now? I'm not so sure.