Jonesing for some updates from practice

Lavoisier

Ramblin' Wreck
I'm honestly not worried about anyone on offense except Lynch not playing. Benson looked good in spring and we have change of pace type guys behind him. I am really worried about defense. I would love to hear any updates on that side. All I know from random stuff I've read is that Anree is pushing the DEs and might be the starter at one of the positions and Curry will miss the first game. Anyone have any other information? As much praise as the new faces on offense have had I haven't heard coach talk up anyone on D really.

THWG

Helluva Engineer
I'm honestly not worried about anyone on offense except Lynch not playing. Benson looked good in spring and we have change of pace type guys behind him. I am really worried about defense. I would love to hear any updates on that side. All I know from random stuff I've read is that Anree is pushing the DEs and might be the starter at one of the positions and Curry will miss the first game. Anyone have any other information? As much praise as the new faces on offense have had I haven't heard coach talk up anyone on D really.
I've heard that Jalen Johnson has been a beast in camp and that Branch is making a really good impression.

MountPGT1990

Banned
I'm not counting out MJ either. I could see CPJ decide to go with experience. Right now I think TM starts but Monday's scrimmage could be key. A lot of folks think LJ will be starting at some point this season. Shoot, Paul even said for a freshman it may be better to tell them right before the game so they don't have time to think about it. That is possible too. Nobody knows except PJ.
Scrimmage Monday and depth chart should be released Tuesday. Don't be shocked to see the typical "or" on there at QB. Heard that Benson has looked good last 2 days and has the burst at B-back to take it to the house. OL is doing great.

Thanks for updates , great info! Really good to hear about Benson and OL

Architorture23

Jolly Good Fellow
Jalen played a lot in the scrimmage but I thought he was mostly at Safety behind Griffin... At Nickel, he'll have to beat out Lawrence. Either way, he will play a lot. I feel like we've got a legit 2-deep everywhere in the secondary that I feel comfortable with. AJ could have a big year.

ASA sounds like could be starting at SDE opposite Keshun, with Simmons in passing situations. Adams had flashes last year. He's, at least, good depth behind KCH who is ok, not great. I've heard positive things about Branch at the other tackle spot. I personally think Kelton Dawson will see a good bit of time as a Fr. He is up to 280 and looks strong.

LB, I'm not sure about. Vic and Brant starting. Curry and Lewis backing them up. Not sure if that's good or not. I think BJS has a chance to earn some serious PT.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
Jalen played a lot in the scrimmage but I thought he was mostly at Safety behind Griffin... At Nickel, he'll have to beat out Lawrence. Either way, he will play a lot. I feel like we've got a legit 2-deep everywhere in the secondary that I feel comfortable with. AJ could have a big year.

ASA sounds like could be starting at SDE opposite Keshun, with Simmons in passing situations. Adams had flashes last year. He's, at least, good depth behind KCH who is ok, not great. I've heard positive things about Branch at the other tackle spot. I personally think Kelton Dawson will see a good bit of time as a Fr. He is up to 280 and looks strong.

LB, I'm not sure about. Vic and Brant starting. Curry and Lewis backing them up. Not sure if that's good or not. I think BJS has a chance to earn some serious PT.
Thanks for the info. Is Johnson working in at nickel at all? I'm the type that says, if Gray, Griffin and Johnson are you best, you get them all three on the field at the same time. Even if that means moving one to nickel.

SidewalkJacket

Helluva Engineer
I'm not sure who said it in an earlier thread (@33jacket ?) but I hope we see Branch, Adams, and KCH along the line together on some early downs. If BA can continue to play his way into better shape, I'd hate to see him reserved for short yardage situations if we're getting pushed around up the middle.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
I'm not sure who said it in an earlier thread (@33jacket ?) but I hope we see Branch, Adams, and KCH along the line together on some early downs. If BA can continue to play his way into better shape, I'd hate to see him reserved for short yardage situations if we're getting pushed around up the middle.
@33jacket wants Adams at the 1 and Cerge-Henderson at the 2 on the DL together on early downs and then moving Cerge-Henderson to the 1 and bringing in Branch to play the 3 on passing downs. This is what I would personally like to see as well. Put freeman and saint amour on early downs and then bring in Simmons on passing downs for freeman at the DE spot.

GTJason

Helluva Engineer
@33jacket wants Adams at the 1 and Cerge-Henderson at the 2 on the DL together on early downs and then moving Cerge-Henderson to the 1 and bringing in Branch to play the 3 on passing downs. This is what I would personally like to see as well. Put freeman and saint amour on early downs and then bring in Simmons on passing downs for freeman at the DE spot.
Really hard to change defensive personnel against Tennessee. They run a very quick hurry up offense (as opposed to one of those that hurries to the line and then looks at the sidelines for 20 seconds - looking at you UNC.) They have a check play waiting for changes in defensive personnel and they'll quick snap. UT is my second team, but as far as I'm concerned their season starts 9/9

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
It doesn't get a lot of pub, but kicker is the position we should all be most nervous about.

This. I can easily seeing us needing FG's to win close games.....do we have anyone who can kick them? Very little positive chatter about K.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
K will be a big downgrade from Butker. Even if they are pretty decent. Doesn't necessarily mean it will be a team weakness but we will lose some prior advantages we have had the last 4 years.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
Branch needs to play every down at DT. He's our best DT period.
Maybe, maybe not. We really haven't seen enough. Playing DT is more than getting pressure against a QB, you need to keep your ground and the LOS and stop the run. Honestly we haven't seen much of this.