Jonesing for some updates from practice

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Maybe, maybe not. We really haven't seen enough. Playing DT is more than getting pressure against a QB, you need to keep your ground and the LOS and stop the run. Honestly we haven't seen much of this.

In watching his tape I've seen no real deficiencies in his game stopping the run. No more so than our other DL. I have noticed some in thd other DTs not named Adams. Adams has had some deficiencies in penetrating the los to pressure the QB, with pursuit, and with stamina. None show Branch's ability to get into the backfield to disrupt plays.

So until some of the above changes. Branch needs to be an every down DT except when needing a breather.

TheTaxJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Joseph Bulovas is going to rue the day he decommitted from GT to ride the at Bama. We really needed his ability this year. Brenton King is good but I dont think he has beat out the walk on kicker convincingly which is worrisome.

wreckrod

Jolly Good Fellow
Joseph Bulovas is going to rue the day he decommitted from GT to ride the at Bama. We really needed his ability this year. Brenton King is good but I dont think he has beat out the walk on kicker convincingly which is worrisome.

lol I think maybe WE will rue the day he decommitted. Can't blame him for wanting to go kick for a perennial national title contender.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
In watching his tape I've seen no real deficiencies in his game stopping the run. No more so than our other DL. I have noticed some in thd other DTs not named Adams. Adams has had some deficiencies in penetrating the los to pressure the QB, with pursuit, and with stamina. None show Branch's ability to get into the backfield to disrupt plays.

So until some of the above changes. Branch needs to be an every down DT except when needing a breather.

Adams does not need to play when a rush is required, but he is our best base DT (ie 4-3 early downs) for 1tech and run situations. I was told he is fit enough to play alot more this year, and this person does not think the other guy should start over him.

Branch feedback has been ok; between the 3DT he has the best chance to generate a pash rush as you point out. But I don't think we should expect a ton out of him (not saying he is bad, just saying he is GT avg at DT right now...serviceable, but not a double team machine or game changer etc)

for the other poster. What I said is Adams and Branch or KCH needs to play in base. Adams should start in base. What I also said is I felt St Armor was the second best end. I personally think freeman should sit. But, I guess he was injured, CPJ said he wouldn't sit and it would be simmons; after my post. So he confirmed my post that st armor is looking good and could start.

IMO, what I said is ASA should be put at SDE and Simmons at WDE....maybe just passing downs.

Freeman is a really good GT guy. Awesome SA. But sometimes I think here at GT we start kids like that over other kids and not because on field production is great. I just have been more than underwhelmed by his impact the last 2 years. He is short and short arms to rush the LT...they eat him up. He actually plays the run ok...but just won't generate a pash rush....Then you add in our very 1 on 1 oriented not terribly creative fronts and its hard on him

anyway...it would be refreshing to see more specialty lines this year. Like ASA, Simmons Branch and move freeman to the 3tech on pash rush downs, or run a 3-3 and blitz the nickel or OLB creatively

Or see Adams, branch/kch, freeman and ASA on run downs...and roll two out for pass.

I think think we have a bit more specialty DL this year to do these rotations. Vs uptempo teams its harder....so you start a blended 4...but we should try when we can

Last edited:

gtg936g

Helluva Engineer

My understanding is we walked away from him.... He had some issues going on.

YJMD

Helluva Engineer
My understanding is we walked away from him.... He had some issues going on.

He broke the rules with visiting another school and not communicating with staff after his commitment. We pull scholarships under those terms and kids know that up front. The plus side is we don't ever dump someone that holds up their end of the bargain, even if something happens that ends their football career before showing up on campus (Jaylend Ratliffe).

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
This. I can easily seeing us needing FG's to win close games.....do we have anyone who can kick them? Very little positive chatter about K.

I've only seen that we are missing FGs in practice and scrimmage. While no one makes all their FGs, it seems there are more misses including the first scrimmage. There have been no end of practice videos like with Butker making a 50+ yarder and players saying "We're going to Charlotte.". (But FWIW I think that was 2015 and we sure didn't go far, though no fault of Butker's.)

When do the GT depth charts come out - next Tuesday? We'll see then, to some extent.

Who is Bulovas behind on the Bama depth chart? If he only gets to kick FGs his Sr year or not at all, you'll probably be right. But if he kicks for 3 or 4 years, he probably made a good football decision (IMHO). The kid went to Bama since his major is football. GT lost out as you said.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer

I agree Adams does need to get stamina better and penetrate better, but that's the beauty of football, not many players do everything right most have a deficiency. Some more than others. They work together though, and some do things better than others. I'm not saying Branch can't stop the run, I just haven't seen enough to say I'm comfortable knowing he will stop the run. And I can guarantee Branch has some sort of deficiency in his game, if he didn't he would have been starting last year. JMO

Lavoisier

Ramblin' Wreck
Freeman's freshman season really set the bar high and I think the coaches kept believing they could get him playing at that level again. Maybe he is hurt, but he has gone from 4.5 to 3 to 0.5 sacks since he's been here. Hindsight is 20/20 but I'm wondering if we would have been better moving him to mike LB where he could play off the line and defend the run. I'm not trying to be mean to the guy but a stat-line like his from the WDE position as a junior should have had him riding the pine last year. I swear I'm not trying to turn this into a Ted Roof thread but on offense I see coach willing to move guys around if something isn't working, but like someone else said earlier it feels like the coaches on D set the depth chart and then dig in their heels and refuse to change personelle.

Either way I hope the front 7 shows up for the Tennessee game and some of the better underclassmen get rotated in to get some experienced depth at those positions.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
I've only seen that we are missing FGs in practice and scrimmage. While no one makes all their FGs, it seems there are more misses including the first scrimmage. There have been no end of practice videos like with Butker making a 50+ yarder and players saying "We're going to Charlotte.". (But FWIW I think that was 2015 and we sure didn't go far, though no fault of Butker's.)

When do the GT depth charts come out - next Tuesday? We'll see then, to some extent.

Who is Bulovas behind on the Bama depth chart? If he only gets to kick FGs his Sr year or not at all, you'll probably be right. But if he kicks for 3 or 4 years, he probably made a good football decision (IMHO). The kid went to Bama since his major is football. GT lost out as you said.

The "we're going to Charlotte" year was 2014. Synjyn said it, and 2014 was his last year.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
I agree Adams does need to get stamina better and penetrate better, but that's the beauty of football, not many players do everything right most have a deficiency. Some more than others. They work together though, and some do things better than others. I'm not saying Branch can't stop the run, I just haven't seen enough to say I'm comfortable knowing he will stop the run. And I can guarantee Branch has some sort of deficiency in his game, if he didn't he would have been starting last year. JMO

The more he played last year the better he got. As the season progressed he got more and more pt. I think that continued into the spring. I think he's our best DT easily and I think it will show on Saturdays.

There is a heck of a lot more proof of the above than same for our frosh QBs....which few hesitate to claim as our next definitive savior.

SidewalkJacket

Helluva Engineer
That's a great idea...Move your ONLY QB with any experience..
Genius.. :rolleyes:

Yeah, those calling for that are just reaching. No matter where MJ is on the QB depth chart at this point, he is GOING to play this year. At QB. Even if he's been passed by one or more guys, I believe he will AT LEAST play the Tim Byerly role.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
:confused:
Freeman's freshman season really set the bar high and I think the coaches kept believing they could get him playing at that level again. Maybe he is hurt, but he has gone from 4.5 to 3 to 0.5 sacks since he's been here. Hindsight is 20/20 but I'm wondering if we would have been better moving him to mike LB where he could play off the line and defend the run. I'm not trying to be mean to the guy but a stat-line like his from the WDE position as a junior should have had him riding the pine last year. I swear I'm not trying to turn this into a Ted Roof thread but on offense I see coach willing to move guys around if something isn't working, but like someone else said earlier it feels like the coaches on D set the depth chart and then dig in their heels and refuse to change personelle.

Either way I hope the front 7 shows up for the Tennessee game and some of the better underclassmen get rotated in to get some experienced depth at those positions.

Ya CPJ likes to play his best guys on O but really doesn't care who gets trotted onto the field on D. It's pretty plain he sees himself as an OC only and completely cedes ST and D.C. rolls to assistants.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer

The more he played last year the better he got. As the season progressed he got more and more pt. I think that continued into the spring. I think he's our best DT easily and I think it will show on Saturdays.

There is a heck of a lot more proof of the above than same for our frosh QBs....which few hesitate to claim as our next definitive savior.
Yea I agree he got better, you could definitely tell as the season went and he got more playing time. And I do think he could be our best DT all around. But if Adams can get in better condition, that dude should be a monster at stopping the run. I'm kinda iffy about the D line, but hopeful at the same time because I think we have more depth and experience now than we've had in a while.

Eastman

Helluva Engineer

And hopefully Monday's as well! My spectrum cable DVR allows me to record up to two weeks and I just set up the recording and am pumped!

ilovetheoption

Helluva Engineer
W/R/T Adams and Surge, I have this impression that what Roof values above all else is reliability.

Remember how frustrated we'd all get that RRC always played despite probably being the least talented DE on the squad? Remember how Roof would always talk about how "you know what you're gonna get" from him?

I think for better or worse, Roof is a coach that likes to minimize variables, and values being "sound" over being "a playmaker", so that he can worry about getting the scheme to account for the other team. Conceptually, I think he's pretty close to coach johnson in that respect (remember how Ike Willis was always a guy "who knows where to go").

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
Just remember on the D line your best lineman with the scheme we run may have the fewest tackles and Zach's because of what he is asked to do. In my view with what Ted tries to do a defensive tackle that demands double teams every down and if you don't he will blow up the play would be good evidence of our best tackle

This generally comes from the one technique but if the three tech is a disruptor the line will have to adjust to double him. We will see as the season plays on.

deeeznutz

Helluva Engineer
K will be a big downgrade from Butker. Even if they are pretty decent. Doesn't necessarily mean it will be a team weakness but we will lose some prior advantages we have had the last 4 years.

I got very comfortable watching KOs sail out the back of the end zone, completely taking away opponents KR. That is where I feel we'll miss But(tkic)ker the most.