Johnson to CFP committee ???

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
I enjoy talking about this but none of our opinions matter. It’s all TV money driven. It will go to 8 then 16. TV doesn’t care how each conference picks a champ or what their record is or who gets at large bids. That’s just the fluff to build the excitement. All they care about is money. As a fan of a middle of the pack team I can’t wait to see the big boys get knocked off year after year.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
I in no way ever want to see an 8 team playoff and frankly it wouldn't work.
1. 5 conference champions in. So let's look at this one. Say we had this now, how do you determine a conference champion without a game? Best record? That would not matter as teams don't play the same teams. Say Tech is 11-2 and Florida State is 11-2, and they didn't play each other, who is the champion?
2. Why should the Group of 5 ever get a spot. They don't play near the level of competition. Yes, UCF beat Auburn in a bowl last year, but that's because the SEC has a tendency to not want to show up to bowl games if it is not for the championship.
3. Two at large, well that is subjective as well. Take my 1 and some one decides Florida State is the Champion. And say in the SEC, LSU is 11-2, Auburn is 11-2, Michigan is 11-2, Texas is 11-2 and none are champions. Now pick.
4. What if we keep the conference championship games and move to 8. Then let's say a 11-1 Clemson plays an 8-4 Georgia Tech and Tech wins. Clemson could be out.

Frankly this is all destroying the tradition of the game. It will not be long before they say every team must play 10 conference games. Then we will see the end of Tech-UGA, Clemson-SC and Florida St. Florida.

I say go back to bowl tie ins and crown a mythical champion, because frankly that is what we have now.
Difference between a regular season champ and a playoff champ. No one seems to care very much if the baseball team that won the most games in the regular season fails to win the World Series....I am not sure why but that seems to be the American Way. In Europe you earn a trophy for each championship, but here it is only the Super Bowl winner or the World Series winner. That actually is not the best team, but somehow it is what Americans seem to want.... <shrugs>

LibertyTurns

Banned
Difference between a regular season champ and a playoff champ. No one seems to care very much if the baseball team that won the most games in the regular season fails to win the World Series....I am not sure why but that seems to be the American Way. In Europe you earn a trophy for each championship, but here it is only the Super Bowl winner or the World Series winner. That actually is not the best team, but somehow it is what Americans seem to want.... <shrugs>
You didn’t have to win the most battles in WW II to win the war, just the strategically important ones. Yes, winning when the chips are on the line is a uniquely American thing. Let the losers fill their trophy cases with 2nd place trophies.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
Going to 8 games would serve no purpose, the new argument would be oh no the 9th best was left out even though they beat number 7 during the season. Leave it at 4 it is working out fine.

There would be argument. However, number 9 was a non-qualifier. There were things in the season that they could have done better to qualify. Currently with no automatic qualifiers, a team can do everything in it's power to make the playoffs and be left out.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
There’s an easy way to do this. First, set up six conferences. Each conference winner goes to the playoff. Plus two at large selections. That’s 8. Add in any team that had a winning record. Plus, include any team with a new uniform that year. Make an exception for any team that graduates more than 3 players every other year. Also, give sponsors the right to pick any team if they will brand themselves that year. Also, any team that has the square root of the highest performing team’s SAT score.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Ditto on 10 conf champs only. All titles need to be decided on the field, not the voting booth. This isn't figure skating or diving. Let the voters seed the brackets.

If you can't even win your conference, what realistic claim can you make for deserving a NATIONAL title? Honestly?! If a 7-5 team wins in a conference title game, so be it. They just proved they can beat a great team when it matters. They will still have to win through the bracket to get a title. If they do so successfully, who can make a realistic claim they didn't deserve it?
If GT had beaten FSU after not throwing a pick on the final drive, and then went on to beat everybody else in the playoff bracket, would you feel like we deserved a 5th title?

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
So did you watch the Ga Southern game yesterday? Meaningless huh, except to that team and their fans. That is why we have bowl games. Who cares about the playoffs. College Football is not the NFL and never should be.

Playoffs can incorporate the bowls, doesn’t have to lead to the demise of the bowls. Some bowls would certainly be enhanced like the peach is now.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Ditto on 10 conf champs only. All titles need to be decided on the field, not the voting booth. This isn't figure skating or diving. Let the voters seed the brackets.

If you can't even win your conference, what realistic claim can you make for deserving a NATIONAL title? Honestly?! If a 7-5 team wins in a conference title game, so be it. They just proved they can beat a great team when it matters. They will still have to win through the bracket to get a title. If they do so successfully, who can make a realistic claim they didn't deserve it?
If GT had beaten FSU after not throwing a pick on the final drive, and then went on to beat everybody else in the playoff bracket, would you feel like we deserved a 5th title?

I’m all for having to win the conference to get in. Can’t be a number like 10 though. Would need to be 8, 12, 16, etc. I would oppose any teams getting a bye.

This could actually lead to some power conferences splitting if some schools thought they could move out to have a better chance of getting into the playoffs. Power conferences would oppose it then though due to TV money and revenue losses.

LibertyTurns

Banned
@Boomergump GT would be the undisputed national champs. The award’s for the team that’s best at the end of the year, not the beginning. There’s already a pre-season national championship award & there’s a team up the road that’s got a case of trophies to prove it. We need a process for the end of the year.

Animal02

Banned
So did you watch the Ga Southern game yesterday? Meaningless huh, except to that team and their fans. That is why we have bowl games. Who cares about the playoffs. College Football is not the NFL and never should be.
Personally, I would love to get rid of the playoff, and go back to the traditional bowl games. But if there is to be the playoffs.....it should be conference champions only.

Animal02

Banned
I’m all for having to win the conference to get in. Can’t be a number like 10 though. Would need to be 8, 12, 16, etc. I would oppose any teams getting a bye.

This could actually lead to some power conferences splitting if some schools thought they could move out to have a better chance of getting into the playoffs. Power conferences would oppose it then though due to TV money and revenue losses.
With 12, there would be teams getting byes :p
My thought is simply there are 10 conferences right now, so just take the conference winners....the bottom four playing the first round to get it down to eight.

MountainBuzzMan

Helluva Engineer
The other Armegeddon scenario almost happened this year: UCLA could've been the Pac-12 South champion at 5-7, then by some miracle defeats U-Dub in the championship ... and now you've got a 6-7 UCLA in the CFB Playoffs as Pac-12 champ?

Honestly I would not mind that. That is the kind of thing where a teams get hot late in the season in basketball and makes a run against the "big boys" Why I love the NCAA BB tournament.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
With 12, there would be teams getting byes :p
My thought is simply there are 10 conferences right now, so just take the conference winners....the bottom four playing the first round to get it down to eight.

I’d realign conferences then. Should be no byes. Creates far too much advantage. Way more than b-ball.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Maybe, just maybe, we could whittle the field to 8 conference champions and let voters haggle over the two who get left out. Absolutely no "at large" entries. Teams like Notre Dunce can join a conference or pound sand.

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
At large teams will get in. Why? TV money. We’ll see 8 soon. Then it won’t be long till 16. This will get all the conference champs in, underdog teams who have great years like UCF, and then TV ratings teams with a loss or two. This is inevitable. Bowls will still exist so teams like Georgia Southern still get to have fun. There really is no downside. And the argument about the meaning of the regular season doesn’t matter cause it’s all about the benjamins.

GT_EE78

Banned
Maybe, just maybe, we could whittle the field to 8 conference champions and let voters haggle over the two who get left out. Absolutely no "at large" entries. Teams like Notre Dunce can join a conference or pound sand.
I like the 8team playoff but also like for Notre dame to pound sand