Johnson to CFP committee ???

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
It will go to 8 then 16 within a decade. Too much money involved in true playoff games. TV will dictate the decision not the NCAA nor conferences. The decision will be made by folks that have nothing to do with college football. It will be the bean counters at Disney and others who own the networks.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
They will eventually go to an eight-team college football playoff format for Division 1 in the future. Coach Paul Johnson is correct in recommending it.

Over the dead body of the SEC. Until a one loss Bama gets in after losing the SEC to a 3 loss east division team that gets left out.

Conf champ games are useless.

smathis30

Ramblin' Wreck
Over the dead body of the SEC. Until a one loss Bama gets in after losing the SEC to a 3 loss east division team that gets left out.

Conf champ games are useless.
issue with this is that conferences make an absolute ton of money from the conference championship game as no true home team means the conferences make absolute bank from the stadium and TV deals. I can see conferences cutting the game if they keep missing the playoff as money earnings get smaller as a result, but there is wayyyyy too much revenue left off the table for most conferences with that game.

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
“TV deals” is all that matters. Losing the conference championship games and adding a playoff game will bring in more money. What the schools want is no longer a factor and hasn’t been in decades. The only championship game that is must watch TV is the SEC cause it’s usually two highly ranked teams. All the other conference champ games are regional affairs. Having true playoff games will bring national interest. It’s gonna happen so what any of us think doesn’t matter. Heck, what the NCAA thinks doesn’t matter. The TV money will make the decision.

Animal02

Banned
“TV deals” is all that matters. Losing the conference championship games and adding a playoff game will bring in more money. What the schools want is no longer a factor and hasn’t been in decades. The only championship game that is must watch TV is the SEC cause it’s usually two highly ranked teams. All the other conference champ games are regional affairs. Having true playoff games will bring national interest. It’s gonna happen so what any of us think doesn’t matter. Heck, what the NCAA thinks doesn’t matter. The TV money will make the decision.
Well, unit the hemorrhaging at ESPN gets so bad that they start cutting contracts.
Other issue is the decline in participation of football in general at the lower levels.

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
Exactly about ESPN. They are slowly dying due to the contracts, primarily the NBA contract. As other TV companies start poaching what ESPN has had, the money for a playoff will continue to expand. The rights to a #1 vs. #8 or #16 will dwarf the money for a meaningless bowl game. As for the conference championship games, the TV folks won’t care how each conference chooses a champ and they’d love to keep the championship games for the money but the conferences may not want to keep it going if it impacts their champs chance at a title. Take UGA or Bama as an example, would they want to play GT and Auburn, then a week later play each other in Atlanta, then the next week play a playoff game? Probably not. TV would love it though. Say CBS has the rights to the SEC. They want Auburn/Bama the weekend of Thanksgiving and CBS definitely wants a SEC Champ game. Say NBC has the playoffs. They want that Bama 1st round game. Bottom line is someone will pay for true ELIMINATION games.

I in no way ever want to see an 8 team playoff and frankly it wouldn't work.
1. 5 conference champions in. So let's look at this one. Say we had this now, how do you determine a conference champion without a game? Best record? That would not matter as teams don't play the same teams. Say Tech is 11-2 and Florida State is 11-2, and they didn't play each other, who is the champion?
2. Why should the Group of 5 ever get a spot. They don't play near the level of competition. Yes, UCF beat Auburn in a bowl last year, but that's because the SEC has a tendency to not want to show up to bowl games if it is not for the championship.
3. Two at large, well that is subjective as well. Take my 1 and some one decides Florida State is the Champion. And say in the SEC, LSU is 11-2, Auburn is 11-2, Michigan is 11-2, Texas is 11-2 and none are champions. Now pick.
4. What if we keep the conference championship games and move to 8. Then let's say a 11-1 Clemson plays an 8-4 Georgia Tech and Tech wins. Clemson could be out.

Frankly this is all destroying the tradition of the game. It will not be long before they say every team must play 10 conference games. Then we will see the end of Tech-UGA, Clemson-SC and Florida St. Florida.

I say go back to bowl tie ins and crown a mythical champion, because frankly that is what we have now.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
1. 5 conference champions in. So let's look at this one. Say we had this now, how do you determine a conference champion without a game? Best record? That would not matter as teams don't play the same teams. Say Tech is 11-2 and Florida State is 11-2, and they didn't play each other, who is the champion?
2. Why should the Group of 5 ever get a spot. They don't play near the level of competition. Yes, UCF beat Auburn in a bowl last year, but that's because the SEC has a tendency to not want to show up to bowl games if it is not for the championship.
3. Two at large, well that is subjective as well. Take my 1 and some one decides Florida State is the Champion. And say in the SEC, LSU is 11-2, Auburn is 11-2, Michigan is 11-2, Texas is 11-2 and none are champions. Now pick.
4. What if we keep the conference championship games and move to 8. Then let's say a 11-1 Clemson plays an 8-4 Georgia Tech and Tech wins. Clemson could be out.

Frankly this is all destroying the tradition of the game. It will not be long before they say every team must play 10 conference games. Then we will see the end of Tech-UGA, Clemson-SC and Florida St. Florida.

I say go back to bowl tie ins and crown a mythical champion, because frankly that is what we have now.
I agree but we are the only two.

smathis30

Ramblin' Wreck
G5 schools absolutely can compete. Utah under Urban and Boise State had the potential to show up in nattys in the entirety of the 2000s and beat damn near every important team in bowl season. 1 loss G5 teams shouldn't, but an undefeated AAC or MWC should definitely get a shot. People acting like 11 seeds never make the final four in march madness.
Issue with the playoff isnt the playoff but the committee. BCS system was eventually fine after some tuning, but having two teams and the literal only sport in college athletics that doesn't have a playoff to determine a champion was the biggest holdup and complaint. Hell, no team with an odd number seed has even won the national title yet. Only 2s and 4s have, which shows the importance of having the playoff.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Make all the power 5 conf go to seeded divisions, play 1 fewer conf game so that rivalry weekend is week before Thanksgiving, and conf championship plus consolation games are Thanksgiving weekend.

There's a way to do it. Let's get it done.

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer

Almost ideal plan. Go back to the old bowl system with Orange, Sugar, Cotton, Rose and maybe add the Peach and Fiesta, and the pageantry and everything that went with the traditional bowl game excitement. From that have a 2 team national championship game. Something along those lines.

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer
I agree but we are the only two.
Not really. I have come full circle and now agree with y’all. Eventually it is going to lead to some good coaches getting fired. They make the playoffs every year but can’t win the big one. And wait until the SEC gets four of the eight spots.

steebu

Ramblin' Wreck
Not really. I have come full circle and now agree with y’all. Eventually it is going to lead to some good coaches getting fired. They make the playoffs every year but can’t win the big one. And wait until the SEC gets four of the eight spots.

The other Armegeddon scenario almost happened this year: UCLA could've been the Pac-12 South champion at 5-7, then by some miracle defeats U-Dub in the championship ... and now you've got a 6-7 UCLA in the CFB Playoffs as Pac-12 champ?

GTBandit22

Helluva Engineer
Well it really depends what you want. If you want the best team to be the national champion, then that is entirely subjective and we let the AP and the Coaches vote like old times.
If you want to let it be decided on the field, you go to a tourney. There are a lot of scenarios where teams get left out or bad teams get in with 8 plus teams. But if you’re going to have a tournament: the 9th team has less of an argument than the 5th, who has less of an argument than the 3rd.
I would love for the playoff to expand, because that gives GT a better shot at winning a title.

Milwaukee

Banned
The other Armegeddon scenario almost happened this year: UCLA could've been the Pac-12 South champion at 5-7, then by some miracle defeats U-Dub in the championship ... and now you've got a 6-7 UCLA in the CFB Playoffs as Pac-12 champ?

I actually like that. I want conference champions to get the auto bid even if they're 7-5ish. Conf title games should be intense as hell with tons of meaning.

Milwaukee

Banned
Well it really depends what you want. If you want the best team to be the national champion, then that is entirely subjective and we let the AP and the Coaches vote like old times.
If you want to let it be decided on the field, you go to a tourney. There are a lot of scenarios where teams get left out or bad teams get in with 8 plus teams. But if you’re going to have a tournament: the 9th team has less of an argument than the 5th, who has less of an argument than the 3rd.
I would love for the playoff to expand, because that gives GT a better shot at winning a title.

There are 120 teams. Anything less than 8 is just worthless. The current format is a train wreck disguised as a "playoff" imo. They should not be allowed to use the word Playoff associated with the 4 team thing they have currently.

The fact that Ohio State has won the big10 b2b years and have to now play in a meaningless bowl game is a travesty. Our Orange was pointless in 14 but it didn't sting since we didn't win the conference title. The p5 winners should be auto imo.