Johnson to CFP committee ???

gtg970g

Jolly Good Fellow
Make all the power 5 conf go to seeded divisions, play 1 fewer conf game so that rivalry weekend is week before Thanksgiving, and conf championship plus consolation games are Thanksgiving weekend.

There's a way to do it. Let's get it done.
What is a seeded division?

steebu

Ramblin' Wreck
I actually like that. I want conference champions to get the auto bid even if they're 7-5ish. Conf title games should be intense as hell with tons of meaning.

Honestly, I do, too. How fun would it have been if GT had gone to the Playoff in 2013 after beating FSU in the ACCCG?

That aside, it's not like winning a conference championship is easy, and in usually it's not like a couple 7-5 teams playing. Seemingly when one team is 7-5, the other is 11-1 or 12-0, so the 7-5 team knocking off the 11-1 team is a big deal.

Still, though, I could see the angst if a 6-7 UCLA got in and a 10-2 Michigan were left out. Same deal happens in the NFL where the conf champs get in. Didn't Seattle make it in one year at 7-9 as the NFC West champs and some 10-6 or 11-5 team got left out?

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
I in no way ever want to see an 8 team playoff and frankly it wouldn't work.
1. 5 conference champions in. So let's look at this one. Say we had this now, how do you determine a conference champion without a game? Best record? That would not matter as teams don't play the same teams. Say Tech is 11-2 and Florida State is 11-2, and they didn't play each other, who is the champion?
2. Why should the Group of 5 ever get a spot. They don't play near the level of competition. Yes, UCF beat Auburn in a bowl last year, but that's because the SEC has a tendency to not want to show up to bowl games if it is not for the championship.
3. Two at large, well that is subjective as well. Take my 1 and some one decides Florida State is the Champion. And say in the SEC, LSU is 11-2, Auburn is 11-2, Michigan is 11-2, Texas is 11-2 and none are champions. Now pick.
4. What if we keep the conference championship games and move to 8. Then let's say a 11-1 Clemson plays an 8-4 Georgia Tech and Tech wins. Clemson could be out.

Frankly this is all destroying the tradition of the game. It will not be long before they say every team must play 10 conference games. Then we will see the end of Tech-UGA, Clemson-SC and Florida St. Florida.

I say go back to bowl tie ins and crown a mythical champion, because frankly that is what we have now.

What tradition? It has been about money for a very long time. "Tradition" was only used as an argument to try to convince fans to go along with what at the time was the system that made the money.

The ACC has argued for a long time that the conference should be able to decide how to determine which teams play for the conference championship. The current rules require two divisions, and the division champions to play each other. The rules were amended to allow a conf championship game if all teams play round robin. The ACC has argued for a pod system of 3 or 4 teams per pod. That would allow teams to play more ACC teams more often. GT would play Duke and UNC less often, but would end up playing all teams in the ACC at least once every two or three years. If the ACC had such a system this year, it would have been 11-1 Clemson against either 9-3 Syracuse or 9-3 NC State.

No-one complains when an 12-18 basketball team wins their conference championship and makes it to the NCAA tournament. If a 9-4 team would be seeded number 8 in an 8 team playoff. If a 9-4 team ends up beating Alabama, then Notre Dame, then Clemson, they kind of proved that they are in the same class as those teams.

Last year UCF didn't "deserve" to get in the playoffs according to the "experts". According to them last year, UCF would need to beat Auburn and then run the table again to "prove" they are worthy. Well, UCF did run the table again, and the "experts" just say, oh well life isn't fair. BTW those "experts" said last year that UCF was going to find out what real-man football is when the played Auburn. According to the "experts" UCF wasn't going to be able to hand anywhere close to Auburn, much less get anywhere close to winning the game.

My biggest issue with the polls' MNC, the BCS, and the playoffs is that there is no known method of determining the winner or the participants. The polls and the playoffs are purely subjective. The BCS relied heavily on the polls. The "experts" don't make picks during the season at 100%. If they get 80% of games correct, it is considered good. Why should that be a way of determining a champion? It hasn't happened, but it is entirely possible that an undefeated P5 conference champion could be left out of the playoffs. That is a far worse scenario than a 9-4 conference champion making it in to the playoffs.

Milwaukee

Banned
What tradition? It has been about money for a very long time. "Tradition" was only used as an argument to try to convince fans to go along with what at the time was the system that made the money.

The ACC has argued for a long time that the conference should be able to decide how to determine which teams play for the conference championship. The current rules require two divisions, and the division champions to play each other. The rules were amended to allow a conf championship game if all teams play round robin. The ACC has argued for a pod system of 3 or 4 teams per pod. That would allow teams to play more ACC teams more often. GT would play Duke and UNC less often, but would end up playing all teams in the ACC at least once every two or three years. If the ACC had such a system this year, it would have been 11-1 Clemson against either 9-3 Syracuse or 9-3 NC State.

No-one complains when an 12-18 basketball team wins their conference championship and makes it to the NCAA tournament. If a 9-4 team would be seeded number 8 in an 8 team playoff. If a 9-4 team ends up beating Alabama, then Notre Dame, then Clemson, they kind of proved that they are in the same class as those teams.

Last year UCF didn't "deserve" to get in the playoffs according to the "experts". According to them last year, UCF would need to beat Auburn and then run the table again to "prove" they are worthy. Well, UCF did run the table again, and the "experts" just say, oh well life isn't fair. BTW those "experts" said last year that UCF was going to find out what real-man football is when the played Auburn. According to the "experts" UCF wasn't going to be able to hand anywhere close to Auburn, much less get anywhere close to winning the game.

My biggest issue with the polls' MNC, the BCS, and the playoffs is that there is no known method of determining the winner or the participants. The polls and the playoffs are purely subjective. The BCS relied heavily on the polls. The "experts" don't make picks during the season at 100%. If they get 80% of games correct, it is considered good. Why should that be a way of determining a champion? It hasn't happened, but it is entirely possible that an undefeated P5 conference champion could be left out of the playoffs. That is a far worse scenario than a 9-4 conference champion making it in to the playoffs.

You're spot on. Believe it or not the bcs was the best system we've had. At least they had some sort of metric in place. This private voting in closed rooms to pick the 4 most popular teams by a unit that includes Condaleeza Rice is beyond insane. I love Rice, she's extremely accomplished, but she's got no business determining whether Georgia or Notre Dame play in a 4 team "playoff".

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
You're spot on. Believe it or not the bcs was the best system we've had. At least they had some sort of metric in place. This private voting in closed rooms to pick the 4 most popular teams by a unit that includes Condaleeza Rice is beyond insane. I love Rice, she's extremely accomplished, but she's got no business determining whether Georgia or Notre Dame play in a 4 team "playoff".
I agree with you, but I believe so far the committee has actually matched the BCS projections each year,
http://www.colleyrankings.com/curBcsLike.html

It isn't 100% the same since some of the computers went back to MOV over ELO, but it is interesting that they still align.

Milwaukee

Banned
I heard that on the Bill King Show as well, which makes me question whether or not the bcs formula is still being used by this committee. Only they don't want to admit it. Who knows.

THWG

Helluva Engineer
I would like to see them make it 6 teams and take most of the subjectivity out of it. The 5 P5 Champs and then either an undefeated Notre Dame or the best of the G5. 1 and 2 get byes while 3 hosts 6 and 4 hosts 5. The conference championship games definitely matter then and there can be no b****ing as you know what you have to do. If a 7-5 team wins the conference championship, then they earned it (chances are slim this will happen anyways). This system legitimately gives every team a chance for the playoffs in any given year and creates a lot of parody. To keep OOC games interesting, determine rankings based on SOS because teams will want those byes.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
5 P5 Champs,
3 At Large
if a G5 team ins in the Top 8 of some combined Computer Polls, they they make the playoffs,
if more than 3 G5 teams are in the top 8, then the 3 highest rated get in.
The other(s) would need to lobby to get into a P5 conference.

First Rounds (4 games) played at the top four seeds stadiums "this week", two weekends after the Conference Championship games.
Winners play in designated bowl game (basically a two week break).
And as is currently done, the Championship Game is played as it currently is... some Monday night after New Year's Day.

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
I’ve always felt if you consolidated it to 8 conferences get an auto bid than you can treat the conference championships as the first round of the play offs. That would make it 16 teams and still allow conferences their game.

wrmathis

Ramblin' Wreck
The other Armegeddon scenario almost happened this year: UCLA could've been the Pac-12 South champion at 5-7, then by some miracle defeats U-Dub in the championship ... and now you've got a 6-7 UCLA in the CFB Playoffs as Pac-12 champ?

no one complains about the nfl when that happens. even when a 9-7 Arizona team made the superbowl and almost won.

GT_EE78

Banned
I would like to see them make it 6 teams and take most of the subjectivity out of it. The 5 P5 Champs and then either an undefeated Notre Dame or the best of the G5. 1 and 2 get byes while 3 hosts 6 and 4 hosts 5. The conference championship games definitely matter then and there can be no b****ing as you know what you have to do. If a 7-5 team wins the conference championship, then they earned it (chances are slim this will happen anyways). This system legitimately gives every team a chance for the playoffs in any given year and creates a lot of parody. To keep OOC games interesting, determine rankings based on SOS because teams will want those byes.
most would have said "parity" but "parody " works for me....

LibertyTurns

Banned
This is all about the SEC getting 3 teams in. Just start there & it cuts down on a lot of whining. The other conferences just don't really matter all that much and who really cares if an independent like ND or a highly ranked non-P5 team like UCF gets screwed over? They’ll get over it.

Milwaukee

Banned
This is all about the SEC getting 3 teams in. Just start there & it cuts down on a lot of whining. The other conferences just don't really matter all that much and who really cares if an independent like ND or a highly ranked non-P5 team like UCF gets screwed over? They’ll get over it.

ND will never get screwed in the current format. The day they do is great for all of us because it would force immediate expansion.

AUFC

Helluva Engineer
I’ll take Cinderella story 8-team CFPs over seeing the same 4 dang teams every year. 5 P5 champs, 1 Go5 “champ”, and 2 at-larges.

Hell I would argue if you’re a Georgia Tech fan, you should want the automatic qualifier. It’s the only way we will ever sniff another national championship’s jock.

Animal02

Banned
5 P5 Champs,
3 At Large
if a G5 team ins in the Top 8 of some combined Computer Polls, they they make the playoffs,
if more than 3 G5 teams are in the top 8, then the 3 highest rated get in.
The other(s) would need to lobby to get into a P5 conference.

First Rounds (4 games) played at the top four seeds stadiums "this week", two weekends after the Conference Championship games.
Winners play in designated bowl game (basically a two week break).
And as is currently done, the Championship Game is played as it currently is... some Monday night after New Year's Day.
10 conference champions...botto b 4 play the first round.
Win your conference or go home.