Jimmy's and Joe's

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
Then what IS the issue in that regard?

Other than perception mentioned before, the 4 year math requirement coming out of highschool.

Regardless our struggles recruiting is more tied to who has been our coaches than anything else.

Deltajacket

Georgia Tech Fan
Guys take a look at the attached link to Clemson's roster. Look at the majors. Think about the real effort required. I counted over 60 of there guys majoring in Parks Recreation/ Sociology/ Undecided. It's a joke. Think about that when you blast our coaches, players, and recruiting. I'll bet you find similar at UNC and FSU. Duke and ND are private and can do whatever they want and report nothing. It is NOT a level playing field.
http://www.tigernet.com/clemson-football-roster

jacketup

Helluva Engineer
Guys take a look at the attached link to Clemson's roster. Look at the majors. Think about the real effort required. I counted over 60 of there guys majoring in Parks Recreation/ Sociology/ Undecided. It's a joke. Think about that when you blast our coaches, players, and recruiting. I'll bet you find similar at UNC and FSU. Duke and ND are private and can do whatever they want and report nothing. It is NOT a level playing field.
http://www.tigernet.com/clemson-football-roster

Are you aware that GT has a Liberal Arts college with Schools of

There are some pretty watered down sounding majors within those Schools if you care to look. GT is not the limited curriculum school I graduated from--not that I see anything wrong with the expanded curriculum.

However, academics are not the issue. Yes we have a more difficult curriculum than Clemson, but we also have Atlanta and a much more vibrant campus. Go to Clemson on a winter weekend and tell me why you would want to be there. I did with my kids after going to GT the same weekend, and after talking up Clemson, there was no comparison in my kids' minds.

We have a LOT to sell that Clemson and others don't, and we are only looking for a few good men.

So, it's not a level playing field. GT is better, but we need people who can sell it. Kids sign with a school because they build a relationship with their recruiter more so than academics.

I don't understand GT fans who think GT is inferior. We have no reason to make excuses.

Deltajacket

Georgia Tech Fan

There are some pretty watered down sounding majors within those Schools if you care to look. GT is not the limited curriculum school I graduated from--not that I see anything wrong with the expanded curriculum.

However, academics are not the issue. Yes we have a more difficult curriculum than Clemson, but we also have Atlanta and a much more vibrant campus. Go to Clemson on a winter weekend and tell me why you would want to be there. I did with my kids after going to GT the same weekend, and after talking up Clemson, there was no comparison in my kids' minds.

We have a LOT to sell that Clemson and others don't, and we are only looking for a few good men.

So, it's not a level playing field. GT is better, but we need people who can sell it. Kids sign with a school because they build a relationship with their recruiter more so than academics.

I don't understand GT fans who think GT is inferior. We have no reason to make excuses.

Yes, I'm very aware of those programs. Go take a look at the requirements for those majors at GT vs Clemson. Sorry, but very few top HS Defensive Tackles are top students. There is a reason we don't compete well for 5* level talent. I'm also very familiar with both campuses. Clemson has a beautiful campus. They have a very diverse student body. They have a ton of beautiful coeds. Players there are treated like royalty. They have an AMAZING game environment and rabid fans. You are delusional if you think GT has a better campus social scene. Jimmy's and Joes along with good coaching wins games. We cannot realistically compete for the same level of athletes. Enjoy this article if you think I'm wrong:. Heard about anything like this at GT lately? Everyone needs to be realistic about our limitations and enjoy those rare special seasons. http://www.tigernet.com/update/coach/New-majors-added-Clemson-recruit-JUCO-players-15152

JacketFromUGA

Helluva Engineer

Excuse you my wife has a degree from there.

Deltajacket

Georgia Tech Fan
Excuse you my wife has a degree from there.
Clemson has some great programs. I didn't say they didn't. It's the engineering school of SC and has well respected Ag, and Science degrees. I wasn't speaking about anyone unless they are a 4 or 5* football player majoring in Parks and Rec Mgt or one of the other fluff majors they have. It's a good school. They have serious advantages in athletics that GT doesn't have. No intent to offend. I have great friends that went there.

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
Maybe it's the uniforms. Maybe it's my familiarity with the Tech players. But it seams in the last two games the LBs and DBs seemed much bigger and physically mature than our players.

Our DBs and LBs seem to play hard and give us their best effort but with only avg foot speed and spotty tackling ability we are getting outplayed in the back 7. Our CBs have good speed and pretty good coverage skills but lack ball skills off the ground at the point of catch. I just watched the UGA-Tn game and you can really see the difference in our back 7 play compared to theirs, particularly in tackling in space, pursuing to the perimeter, and breaking up the longer passes.

flea77

Ramblin' Wreck
The easiest MJR at GT is one of the harder ones at Clemson and the rest of the teams on our schedule . Clemson has a some great programs . Hard majors . They also have Yoga , Rowing , Camping , Fishing classes etc ... it goes on and on and on . GT's " Liberal Arts " are business classes w math that with my UGA Econ Degree have trouble spelling . Until 2 years ago , I had not been on the GT campus since before the Olympics . I believed the academic argument was BS . Now w 2 Sons at GT , one who was a SEC Honor Roll student , I know for a absolute fact that GT is night and day more difficult. The same classes at UGA and GT ( Econ ) are much more math laden and much more difficult . Thats just a fact . Will was homeschooled until the 8 th grade , and made all A's in High school ,it was easy . I was still nervous about him going to GT . How many " 5 and 4 star " players have a 4.0 GPA and score in the Zell Miller range on the SAT ? GT is freeking hard . Every school we play has " football majors " . We do not . If you graduate from GT you earned it and your ready for life . What in the hell do you do w a rec sports mgt degree ? Chalk fields back home at the rec dept ? Clemson is a great school w many hard as hell majors , don't get your panties in a wad because some one is talking about their joke classes that 70 % of the athletes take . Sorry panties in a wad might have been to harsh . Im still pissed off about the guy who said our players have no heart . I can't help it that stuff makes me want to suit up

Last edited:

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
I

I will wait till offseason to discuss classes.
Just saw Dalvin Cook run a swin
The easiest MJR at GT is one of the harder ones at Clemson and the rest of the teams on our schedule . Not to mention Clemson has a Yoga , Rowing , Camping , Fishing classes etc ... it goes on and on and on . GT's " Liberal Arts " are business classes w math that with my UGA Econ Degree have trouble spelling . Until 2 years ago , I had not been on the GT campus since before the Olympics . I believed the academic argument was BS . Now w 2 Sons at GT , one who was a SEC Honor Roll student , I know for a absolute fact that GT is night and day more difficult. The same classes at UGA and GT ( Econ ) are much more math laden and much more difficult . Thats just a fact . Will was homeschooled until the 8 th grade , and made all A's in High school ,it was easy . I was still nervous about him going to GT . How many " 5 and 4 star " players have a 4.0 GPA and score in the Zell Miller range on the SAT ? GT is freeking hard . Every school we play has " football majors " . We do not . If you graduate from GT you earned it and your ready for life . What in the hell do you do w a rec sports mgt degree ? Chalk fields back home at the rec dept ? Clemson is a great school w many hard as hell majors , don't get your panties in a wad because some one is talking about their joke classes that 70 % of the athletes take . Sorry panties in a wad might have been to harsh . Im still pissed off about the guy who said our players have no heart . I can't help it that stuff makes me want to suit up
wouldn't more GOOD sports management etc courses that lead to coaching be a big positive for ga tech athletics..
Glad will is here. Very quick for freshmen of his size.

flea77

Ramblin' Wreck
You can add a crayon eating major , but at GT you still have to take all the STEM core classes . So throw in some high level math and science and computer science ( that is a ***** ) and you have a very smart person w a crayon eating major . Plus the crayon eating professor would be doing high level math word problems on all his exams ... :)

Ash

Ramblin' Wreck
Our guys are taking a beating. and the sideline shows it...but to say the have no heart is flat out wrong. They were playing the whole game. If they had given up we would not have made those stops or scored in the 4th.

We need a win. A win will cure a lot of things. That's the biggest thing that bothered me from the UNC loss...that was a game we needed to win for multiple reasons, the least of which was just to show the young guys what they are doing can be successful.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer

My wife has a MS in Physics from Tech and a PhD in Public Policy from Tech.
My sister-in-law has a BS in LMC (used to be LCC) and a PhD in Public Policy.

They'd both run circles around most of us that were in the engineering programs.

The School of Public Policy was ranked in the Top5 in the Nation when my wife and SIL finished.

Go look at some other schools and see how the incorporate Engineering and Public Policy (MIT, Carnegie-Mellon, Stanford, Delft, etc.)

All majors at Tech require Calculus to graduate. You can't get a Bachelor's of Science degree at Tech without calculus, and Tech only offers BS degrees. I've checked, there are no calculus-free majors.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
By the way, GT only offers 1 class below calculus, Precalculus, and that's a remedial class. To stay on schedule to graduate (remain eligible), our players have to take and pass their calculus before the end of their sophomore year. Now, that's daunting for a HS junior/senior that's not prepared well for the rigors of college math.

TechTravis

Ramblin' Wreck
My wife has a MS in Physics from Tech and a PhD in Public Policy from Tech.
My sister-in-law has a BS in LMC (used to be LCC) and a PhD in Public Policy.

They'd both run circles around most of us that were in the engineering programs.

The School of Public Policy was ranked in the Top5 in the Nation when my wife and SIL finished.

Go look at some other schools and see how the incorporate Engineering and Public Policy (MIT, Carnegie-Mellon, Stanford, Delft, etc.)

All majors at Tech require Calculus to graduate. You can't get a Bachelor's of Science degree at Tech without calculus, and Tech only offers BS degrees. I've checked, there are no calculus-free majors.

After Techster tried to tell me you can graduate without calculus at Tech, I spent longer than I should have going through the course catalog trying to find one that didn't require calc. I couldn't find one. Also, whoever talked about that comp. science class beign a **** is spot on. More than one freshman who came in with me moved out of woodruff hall and withdrew because of it. Tech has advantages. Are they enough to overcome the academic hurdles" IDK.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
It saddens me that our culture places such a disdain on the subject of calculus and views it as so extra-ordinary. I know I am viewing this from the perspective of an actual calculus teacher, but darn man, it ain't that freaking hard. To me, all that shows is how off the tracks we are as a nation in terms of educating the masses. I have gotten soooo many kids through calc in HS that it isn't funny. Many of them were not that smart, and athletes to boot. Where are we headed? What the heck, we can outsource everything right?

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I am sorry. I am supposed to be a moderator. That last post shouldn't be in a FB forum. Let's not get side-tracked.