Jimmy's and Joe's

Lee

Ramblin' Wreck
I can't wait to hear this argument from a few on here this week. All those five star players Duke is been getting really shut us down.

Maybe now some on here will drop their elitist attitude towards Duke and quit questioning "why would a recruit would go to Duke?"

This makes two weeks in a row PJ has gotten out coached. Blame it on missed assignments all you want, I know that's a big part of it, but it's the coaches job to find something the players can execute and be successful doing. Both PJ and Justin look like they have completely lost any sort of confidence. Hopefully they figure it out before next week because we are going to need them.

We easily could go from Orange bowl to no bowl this year with the way we are playing. On the bright side at least our defense is significantly better. It's weird having a defense better than our offense. It hasn't been that way since the Gailey days.

And no I don't want Paul Johnson gone and I don't want Gailey back. I like our offense. I just wish we could find some ways to be efficient when teams like Duke in Notre Dame sell out to shut the run down.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
I can't wait to hear this argument from a few on here this week. All those five star players Duke is been getting really shut us down.

Maybe now some on here will drop their elitist attitude towards Duke and quit questioning "why would a recruit would go to Duke?"

This makes two weeks in a row PJ has gotten out coached. Blame it on missed assignments all you want, I know that's a big part of it, but it's the coaches job to find something the players can execute and be successful doing. Both PJ and Justin look like they have completely lost any sort of confidence. Hopefully they figure it out before next week because we are going to need them.

We easily could go from Orange bowl to no bowl this year with the way we are playing. On the bright side at least our defense is significantly better. It's weird having a defense better than our offense. It hasn't been that way since the Gailey days.

And no I don't want Paul Johnson gone and I don't want Gailey back. I like our offense. I just wish we could find some ways to be efficient when teams like Duke in Notre Dame sell out to shut the run down.

Yeah. Its called a balanced offense. Or get closer to it. The pass was there bigtime. But of course we couldnt block and find time to do it.

Me thinks we need to seriously look at our pass pro schemes and assignments. Its awful. We had so many open routes. And when jt rarely did have time he hit em.

Blocking in all phases was awful. So really i dont know what to point to. If you dont block it doesn't matter if you choose run or pass

JorgeJonas

Helluva Engineer
Yeah. Its called a balanced offense. Or get closer to it. The pass was there bigtime. But of course we couldnt block and find time to do it.

Me thinks we need to seriously look at our pass pro schemes and assignments. Its awful. We had so many open routes. And when jt rarely did have time he hit em.

Blocking in all phases was awful. So really i dont know what to point to. If you dont block it doesn't matter if you choose run or pass
Balance has nothing to do with it. Hell, we're at our best when we are not balanced at all. This is about the guys not blocking anyone at all. Unless or until that changes, nothing will improve.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
Balance has nothing to do with it. Hell, we're at our best when we are not balanced at all. This is about the guys not blocking anyone at all. Unless or until that changes, nothing will improve.

Not having a competent passing game makes run blocking that much harder. On top of that it leaves us with 0 options when the running game is struggling.

Lee

Ramblin' Wreck

Yup, our pass pro technique needs some serious work. I'm no offensive guru, but several times when JT dropped back to pass I saw 2-3 of our lineman face down on the ground at the LOS at the end of the play with their whole defense in the back field. How is that possible?

Milwaukee

Banned
It's embarrassing to me that most of you Tech fans are worried about a bowl streak and getting to 7 wins. Get your mind right, not even joking.

7 wins and the Shreveport Bowl is an embarrassment to the program, not a notch on our bowl belt...at least in my living room it is, but I expect a little more than most casuals.

We play for conference titles and higher, end of discussion.

Frenchise

Ramblin' Wreck
It's embarrassing to me that most of you Tech fans are worried about a bowl streak and getting to 7 wins. Get your mind right, not even joking.

7 wins and the Shreveport Bowl is an embarrassment to the program, not a notch on our bowl belt...at least in my living room it is, but I expect a little more than most casuals.

This team is playing for not being worst in the division.

Lee

Ramblin' Wreck

My mind has nothing to do with what the team does. My eyes tell me we are not a very good team right now. We also have the toughest schedule in the nation. I'm not saying we can't get better, but to think we are going to to be competing for championships based on what we've seen the last two weeks is borderline crazy.

I was right there with you though going into the year though and will be there next week cheering from my seat. I hope we turn it around and get on run just like we did last year, but we have a lot to fix. Thankfully UNC's defense isn't as good as the last two we've played. I hope we simplify some stuff this week and get back to more power football. I think our line is good enough to if we get a hat on a hat to beat the man in front of them. I would love to see some unbalanced line next week and run the ball right off Devine's right buttcheek.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member

Going to a lower tier bowl sure beats the heck out of not having enough wins to be able to go to one. With that, I agree that we should be in the hunt for division and conference titles. :)

Greenjackets

Georgia Tech Fan
ND just beat us twice. Duke was the better team today but we have better players. This is a very tough schedule. Need to right the ship. It starts with UNC

MacJacket

Helluva Engineer
Give Duke some credit. Very well coached team. Cutcliffe has done a great job there and has shown the ability to change offensive scheme based on personnel.

Oh, and PJ is now his prison bride

jacketup

Helluva Engineer

Curry used to frustrate me to death. Ran the ball, very little balance. I used to argue with his OC Rip Scherer about it. I was very happy when Ross was hired, and that worked out well. Balanced offense with Ralph.

I was very, very concerned when Johnson was hired. I did not believe that anyone could win in modern college football without balance.

I no longer believe that to be true. Johnson's offense will work in modern football.

However, like every offense, you need talent. You can't fool talented and well coached defenses.

Johnson has never coached in a major conference until the GT gig. What he has not done well is recruit. I don't think he likes recruiting, and he does not have a salesman's personality. He doesn't seem to understand the importance of recruiting at this level of football. He seems to think that he can use his scheme and his brilliance to overcome the talent deficiency. Even if true, there are limits, and we have seen those limits the last 2 weeks.

Johnson's best back to back years were his first 2--with Gailey's talent. Roof and Pelton are bringing in better talent, but that's not helping this year. Johnson is not and will not become a great recruiter.

Johnson is now 4 games over .500 for the past 5 1/3 years against FBS competition. Very mediocre.

Just like his recruiting rankings.

Last edited:

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
Curry used to frustrate me to death. Ran the ball, very little balance. I used to argue with his OC Rip Scherer about it. I was very happy when Ross was hired, and that worked out well. Balanced offense with Ralph.

I was very, very concerned when Johnson was hired. I did not believe that anyone could win in modern college football without balance.

I no longer believe that to be true. Johnson's offense will work in modern football.

However, like every offense, you need talent. You can't fool talented and well coached defenses.

Johnson has never coached in a major conference until the GT gig. What he has not done well is recruit. I don't think he likes recruiting, and he does not have a salesman's personality. He doesn't seem to understand the importance of recruiting at this level of football. He seems to think that he can use his scheme and his brilliance to overcome the talent deficiency. Even if true, there are limits, and we have seen those limits the last 2 weeks.

Johnson's best back to back years were his first 2--with Gailey's talent. Roof and Pelton are bringing in better talent, but that's not helping this year. Johnson is not and will not become a great recruiter.

Johnson is now 3 games over .500 for the past 5 1/3 years against FBS competition. Very mediocre.

what made us so good last year other than hitting a stride was also a nice wr threat and balance. of course that was also good talent. which paul recruited. this year is young. but the bottom line is, we could pass very effective and threatening. JeT had an unreal qbr last year. top 3 in the nation. that is balance. its not 50/50 in yards or plays balance. but its efficient offense balance. We have none of that this year....oh ....and...can't...block.

jacketup

Helluva Engineer
what made us so good last year other than hitting a stride was also a nice wr threat and balance. of course that was also good talent. which paul recruited. this year is young. but the bottom line is, we could pass very effective and threatening. JeT had an unreal qbr last year. top 3 in the nation. that is balance. its not 50/50 in yards or plays balance. but its efficient offense balance. We have none of that this year....oh ....and...can't...block.

WR threat and balance? Smelter did not come to GT for football--not really a Johnson recruit. Fell in Johnson's lap. Took 4 yrs for Waller's light to come on. Blocking? Shaq was not highly recruited but became the best OG I have seen on the Flats.

A lot of luck last year. Lowest number of critical injuries of any year I can recall, which makes up for not having deep recruiting classes. A lot of razor thin wins--VT, GSU, UGa--and Clemson's backup QB throwing INTs. We weren't that far from 7-5, which is a typical Paul Johnson at GT record. Just like Chan, at 2 1/2 times the salary.

GTJake

Helluva Engineer

Balance has everything to do with it, Duke had our defense on their heels from the start run-pass-inside-outside very well game-planned.

It's easy to blame the OL, but with no diversity on play calling Duke = ND bring it all day ... 5 doesn't block 7-8.

The last two weeks = Outcoached !!

1979jacket

Ramblin' Wreck

Johnson is now 4 games over .500 for the past 5 1/3 years against FBS competition. Very mediocre.

I think the same. Recruiting is 75% of the battle and we have some good players but hardly any 4 and no 5 star guys. I don't believe CPJ recruited Smelter. He was on the baseball team and hurt his arm. He turned out to be very talented receiver and very important to our offense but you can't expect guys to come out of the woodwork all the time. We really need a few studs who you know are going to be good coming in, not turn into a good player with hard work. Look at AJ Gray today - true freshman and made several big plays. Wish he could have stayed on his feet on interception but still made several big plays. I was pretty sure AJ Gray would be good. He was a stud and surprised only rated a 3 star. On a side note, also congrats to Ricky Juene on his game today.

Maybe we get this straightened out, shouldn't judge on 2 games. But regardless, recruiting concerns me. It's not all CPJ attitude about recruiting - let's be fair, some of it is the offense he runs. I agree with CPJ that a good player is not hurt by playing his offense in preparing for the NFL, however the perception by many I'm afraid is that it does not prepare you for the NFL.

How do we get some of these guys - first we have to try to get them. I'm not sure we are right now. Second we need to fight the perception and convince otherwise. Winning would help.

for the