Jimmy's and Joe's

Ash

Ramblin' Wreck
I'm not gonna read all the post, but being stout defensively doesn't require 5 stars. It helps but defense is also about displine and the want to. Great technique and tackling don't require 4 and 5 stars and too many teams have stout defenses with marginal talent. IMO there is little excuse for poor defense at GT.

CPJ was brought in because his scheme was supposed to neutralize talent deficiencies.

True. VT manages to have some good defenses year after year, and they are not known for being big up front either.

slugboy

Staff member
I'm not gonna read all the post, but being stout defensively doesn't require 5 stars. It helps but defense is also about displine and the want to. Great technique and tackling don't require 4 and 5 stars and too many teams have stout defenses with marginal talent. IMO there is little excuse for poor defense at GT.

CPJ was brought in because his scheme was supposed to neutralize talent deficiencies.
I believe we practice fewer hours than our opponents. Of course, that didn't hurt us this much last year.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
Back to Jimmies and Joes and thinking that we intentionally recruit "smaller" backs...

Does anyone really think that CPJ wouldn't recruit AND ACCEPT at Aback 5 or 6 guys that were 6' 2", 240LB and ran a 4.5 40yd dash if the could make the grades and stay in school?

TechTravis

Ramblin' Wreck
Why do you believe that? Has it been stated before? Just curious, not doubting you.
It's been brought up on the coaches show before. I can't remember the exact quote, but I do know we haven't won on midterms week since 2010, b/c of the level of academic preparation involved. If the ACC weren't run by Tobacco Road Old Money, they could help us out and get our bye week that week.

Declinometer

Banned
Well ... Unless you come from a wealthy, landowning family, just about anywhere in the rural Southeast.

Think smaller cities and towns in south Georgia, Alabama, Texas etc. The public school systems simply aren't as good as the better ones of the larger urban areas.

That's a generalization, and meant to be. Is it impossible to find a good school or an inspiring, caring teacher in a rural area? Of course not. Are there poor schools in well-funded suburban areas? Sure there are.
This is ludicrous. Like I said, name one.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I liked winning like we did last year. One reason... it eliminated the philosophical and "holier than thou" posts that have to be endured during years like this. the GT fan base is bipolar.

flea77

Ramblin' Wreck
This is ludicrous. Like I said, name one.
Albany ... How does a young man have a 3.2 GPA and cannot read above a 5th grade level ? It was a story in the AJC earlier this year . Its way to common , kids get pushed thru to keep the numbers working . Before I get jumped on , both my parents were in the Atlanta School System for over 30 years . My Father was a Teacher and Coach and my Moms in the Ga Athletic Directors Hall of Fame. I have some knowledge of certain gifted players getting a pass . Those players would not pass calculus or be able to spell it . I think the difference is that in larger cities you have more choices , Good Private schools . In some smaller communities , you are stuck w the public school system or the private school some parents started so Jr could start on the football team .

Declinometer

Banned
Albany ... How does a young man have a 3.2 GPA and cannot read above a 5th grade level ? It was a story in the AJC earlier this year . Its way to common , kids get pushed thru to keep the numbers working . Before I get jumped on , both my parents were in the Atlanta School System for over 30 years . My Father was a Teacher and Coach and my Moms in the Ga Athletic Directors Hall of Fame. I have some knowledge of certain gifted players getting a pass . Those players would not pass calculus or be able to spell it . I think the difference is that in larger cities you have more choices , Good Private schools . In some smaller communities , you are stuck w the public school system or the private school some parents started so Jr could start on the football team .
Albany high school?

Declinometer

Banned
how does a high school kid not be able to read? Irresponsible parents.

flea77

Ramblin' Wreck
how does a high school kid not be able to read? Irresponsible parents.
Many students in our schools have parents who cannot read . My question is how does a student graduate from our schools and cannot read ? This goes to the very reason GT has a limited pool to recruit . The majority of football players educated in public schools , cannot get into GT .

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Many students in our schools have parents who cannot read . My question is how does a student graduate from our schools and cannot read ? This goes to the very reason GT has a limited pool to recruit . The majority of football players educated in public schools , cannot get into GT .
Agree completely. (My son teaches and coaches in east Texas - yes good teachers mak a difference but small rural schools just don't have the horsepower to equip kids.)

"Gt needs to recruit nationally in big cities - houston, dallas , san antonio etc - huge gt alumni base and gt well respected."

flee
I would not know if what I saw in 65 could happen now. I came from big school in fla - advanced chemistry, math ( calculus) so first year was not a shock to me. I helped a couple of guys from south ga who were bright and hard working to get going in Chem and calculus - they had no clue. They called me The Florida Pansy because I dropped off of the freshman team. We all did well that first semester - they studied restlessly. Later one was the best man at my wedding. Both went on to be highly successful - one a nuclear sub commander and the other to own a refining and energy company. I did ok in Texas.
I would like to think that your son will have an impact with the right kids at tech.
P.s.
Saw your kid from end zone at ND - he is really surprisingly agile. Please take this right - this year Hope he gets playing time after we are ahead in games. He is going to be a big part of gt next year + beyond.

Declinometer

Banned
Because of public schools? Nonsence

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Many students in our schools have parents who cannot read . My question is how does a student graduate from our schools and cannot read ?

you can thank the "No Child Left Behind" program. Someone decided that every child should have a high school diploma....so now everyone does! Everyone gets to make the team these days and gets equal amounts of plating time. trophies and ribbons for all!! Is this a great country or what? I can't wait until the government comes up with the "Everyone Gets to Be a Millionaire" program (or maybe that already happened with the banking crisis).

flea77

Ramblin' Wreck
Both my parents worked in the Atlanta Public Schools system for 30 plus years . My Father was a football coach and teacher , Mom is in the Ga Athletic Directors hall of Fame . My parents moved and drove 45 mins to work so I could attend a different school .That was a long drive in 1975 . We Homeschooled ( ABEKA ) our kids for the majority of their education . Many in our school systems get " socially promoted , if you don't believe that , just go back and read about the teachers and administrators changing test scores etc ... Bottom line most football players are not able to attend and stay eligible at GT . That is a fact . At least 60 % of the offers listed on recruiting sites are false or " pending transcripts " .