Jimmy's and Joe's

stingyoa$$

Jolly Good Fellow
Hard to say its improvements in talent and athleticism because they haven't done anything to show it. Marshall had a long run against a much inferior opponent that seems to be the only thing that has gone right for him. I would think if they were as athletic and talented as some say....we'd be sitting at 4-0. They look pretty average to me at the skill position so far and I'm not just talking about execution. Some of these guys don't appear to be football 'tough".

TechTravis

Ramblin' Wreck
I will always maintain that the biggest recruiting hurdle GT faces recruiting is calculus. Even if I were a kid who were somewhat interested in a decent education as well as good football, even if I could theoretically pass survey of Calculus, why would I go to the trouble when I don't have to elsewhere? Just because a kid is smart doesn't necessarily mean he's going to want to apply himself to the level he'll have to at Georgia Tech, and no coach, no matter how gifted, is going to change his mind...

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
I will always maintain that the biggest recruiting hurdle GT faces recruiting is calculus. Even if I were a kid who were somewhat interested in a decent education as well as good football, even if I could theoretically pass survey of Calculus, why would I go to the trouble when I don't have to elsewhere? Just because a kid is smart doesn't necessarily mean he's going to want to apply himself to the level he'll have to at Georgia Tech, and no coach, no matter how gifted, is going to change his mind...

The problem in that regards is the perception that calculus is that hard. Calc 1 and survey aren't that hard especially when you have the academic support that football players do.

LibertyTurns

Banned
The problem in that regards is the perception that calculus is that hard. Calc 1 and survey aren't that hard especially when you have the academic support that football players do.
You're recruiting from a pool of players that can't add 2 & 2 and get 4, yet you claim calculus isn't hard. Terry Bradshaw couldn't spell cat unless you spotted him the C & the T. You really think they could get thru year 1 of anything??

Listen to those dumbasses at the Cesspool try to communicate. Really, you think those are Tech Men??? What kind of Senior Design report do you expect those neanderthal's to crank out?

Look, I'm as pissed as any that we repeatedly got jobbed all day long on our home field. I'm pissed we ran 2 straight plays up the middle on the goal line despite the previous series UNCheat sending everyone and his brother into the middle to stop anything up the middle when most people's granny could have waltzed into the endzone unmolested.

I'm pissed a DL that had 2 people hanging on him was flagged for targeting & banned from the rest of the game when it was clear it was a clean play.

I'm pissed that we did the GT when faced with a bit of adversity, ie we folded the tent.

I'm pissed we cannot block a paper statue.

I'm pissed UNC didn't have a penalty called after their coach complained during the 3rd/4th time out of the game.

I'm pissed DJ didn't save us from disaster as he did before.

Lastly, I'm pissed we only had 35K seats sold prior to the game. Lose a couple of games and the entire fan base jumps off the bus.

GTech63

Helluva Engineer
Pissed also because you lose to a school that so blatantly cheats academically but did not get punished to the severity of the crime. Ejection of Gotsis makes that feeling even worse.

BainbridgeJacket

Helluva Engineer
So I went back and looked at the recruiting analysis I did a while back and the predicted results. Last year it predicted us around 30, this year it predicted around 60... of course the class driving that prediction has been mostly lost to attrition, rerun it with them gone....well this is going to be a long season.

TechTravis

Ramblin' Wreck
Ok, even if we suppose that it isn't THAT hard, why would a kid come here and deal with it at all when they don't have to? Unless GT somehow either magically goes liberal arts (ain't happening) or finds a coach that makes kids WANT to work harder at school than is necessary to get to the next level, this is the battle we'll always be facing. And the list of people that make kids want to learn is like, Levar Burton, Bill Nye, and MAYBE Jim Harbaugh....

jacketup

Helluva Engineer

1. Not every major at GT these days requires calculus. GT has more majors than ever.

2. George O'Leary had five top 25 teams in a row--not so long ago.

3. Liberal Arts majors have their "hurdle" courses too.

4. Don't tell me that in the entire world there aren't 20 kids every year who are qualified, solid to exceptional FBS players, and who want what Tech has to offer. We aren't trying to sign 1000 every year--just 20. However, you have to work to find them and sell them. It's effort and sales ability that are missing.

5. GT has a LOT to sell. The academic excuse is one rolled out by people who don't think much of GT.

TechTravis

Ramblin' Wreck
I was under the impression every major still required survey of calc. And a lot of the guys O'Leary built his teams on wouldn't get into school today. That's just a fact. And "solid to exceptional" is what GT is getting now. According to some, it isn't good enough.

TechTravis

Ramblin' Wreck
IDK if he's regressed or if he has that little faith in the guys around him. Something different this year, though...

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
Ok, even if we suppose that it isn't THAT hard, why would a kid come here and deal with it at all when they don't have to?

Playing time? Like the campus? Success, if we had more of it? Proximity to home? Pretty much the same things that any school will use to sell their school. Academics are a small part of our struggles recruiting. But people make far too much out of it, and calc isn't even the issue in that regard.

jacketup

Helluva Engineer
And a lot of the guys O'Leary built his teams on wouldn't get into school today. That's just a fact. And "solid to exceptional" is what GT is getting now. According to some, it isn't good enough.

If it is a fact, prove it. If it is a fact, it shouldn't be hard for you to prove.

If the talent is solid to exceptional, then why are we 2-4?

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
1. Not every major at GT these days requires calculus. GT has more majors than ever.

2. George O'Leary had five top 25 teams in a row--not so long ago.

3. Liberal Arts majors have their "hurdle" courses too.

4. Don't tell me that in the entire world there aren't 20 kids every year who are qualified, solid to exceptional FBS players, and who want what Tech has to offer. We aren't trying to sign 1000 every year--just 20. However, you have to work to find them and sell them. It's effort and sales ability that are missing.

5. GT has a LOT to sell. The academic excuse is one rolled out by people who don't think much of GT.
Every major at Tech requires Calculus. It may only be Survey of Calculus, but Calculus is required.

jacketup

Helluva Engineer
Every major at Tech requires Calculus. It may only be Survey of Calculus, but Calculus is required.

Not true, unless it has changed in the last two years. I have forgotten the curriculum and I am not looking it up again, but the math requirement did not have "calculus" in the title.