Jimmies and Joe's and Mike Sewak

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
VT and Bud Foster have had a lot of success disrupting our blocking and reads over the years, i think a lot of teams are copying his ideas now. Or possibly Bud holds a free seminar on how to coach against CPJ every offseason for any DC's interested lol

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
The go head up on Linebackers a lot. I don't know what the percentages are but they do.
For the most part, we try to block the LB's with our linemen who shoot the front line gaps. Anyway, with our supposed speed at qb and Aback, all we really need is for those lead blocking Abacks to get in the way just enough to slow them down or make 'em change direction. Many times they can do this, but the timing and spacing is so wrong, the defender has plenty of time and space to recover and make the play.

It takes lots of time and repetition to perfect anything that depends so heavily on timing, spacing and synchronicity. This is why we always start slow on O. The '14 O looked like doggy doo for half the season, remember?

GTpdm

Helluva Engineer
We don't cut every single play. If we bull rush block on a play they're expecting a cut, we pancake them. We just need to mix it up more.
I think this was a big factor in our success two years ago. In the latter part of the season (it seemed to me), the OL was relying on drive-blocking more often. Defenders expecting to fend off a cut-block ended up taking a beating and getting worn down more quickly, IMO.

One reason why defenses are being successful against us right now is that we consistently show them exactly the blocking strategy they are anticipating. Anyone see Clemson's pre-game warm-ups, where defenders were running drills on how to evade a cut-block?

southernhive

Jolly Good Fellow
VT and Bud Foster have had a lot of success disrupting our blocking and reads over the years, i think a lot of teams are copying his ideas now. Or possibly Bud holds a free seminar on how to coach against CPJ every offseason for any DC's interested lol
So Bud Foster has the blueprint to stop CPJ? Seems he does pretty well with other offensive schemes. Maybe Bud Foster has the secret blueprints to all offensive schemes.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
After watching the game against Clemson last week, and thinking back to the last two times we faced their D...having the OL cutblock against an athletic D has been "figured out". They are coached to avoid initial contact/shed the block well enough to remain in the play, while our guys hit the ground and take themselves out of the play. I saw a Clem lineman hurdle our diving lineman...its that easy. I would expect other DCs to start coaching the same in prep for facing us. The film is out there. Expect to see Miami and VT play us the same way.

So our cuts aren't working against bigger more athletic DTs......Do you honestly think a drive block works better when physically over matched? Sewak needs to run a clinic for his haters letting them see the difference in these 2 blocks against a physically superior target. I can tell ya the cut typically works better in this instance.

I think this was a big factor in our success two years ago. In the latter part of the season (it seemed to me), the OL was relying on drive-blocking more often. Defenders expecting to fend off a cut-block ended up taking a beating and getting worn down more quickly, IMO.

One reason why defenses are being successful against us right now is that we consistently show them exactly the blocking strategy they are anticipating. Anyone see Clemson's pre-game warm-ups, where defenders were running drills on how to evade a cut-block?

I've seen teams work on fending off cut blocks pre CPJ. Do they focus on it more when they face us? Probably. Stupid not to. Do they work on fending them off as much as we work on throwing those blocks? Kinda doubt it.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
So Bud Foster has the blueprint to stop CPJ? Seems he does pretty well with other offensive schemes. Maybe Bud Foster has the secret blueprints to all offensive schemes.

I'm not saying that at all, but you have to admit he's called a bunch of good games against CPJ

Silk3

Ramblin' Wreck
For the most part, we try to block the LB's with our linemen who shoot the front line gaps. Anyway, with our supposed speed at qb and Aback, all we really need is for those lead blocking Abacks to get in the way just enough to slow them down or make 'em change direction. Many times they can do this, but the timing and spacing is so wrong, the defender has plenty of time and space to recover and make the play.

It takes lots of time and repetition to perfect anything that depends so heavily on timing, spacing and synchronicity. This is why we always start slow on O. The '14 O looked like doggy doo for half the season, remember?
That may be true but we used to never get completely shut down like this. 2014 first couple games slower than the end of 2014 but we still moved the ball on VT, and duke and them turnovers would kill drives. We wouldnt ever get shut down like we did basically all of last year and than BC snd clem this year. Somethings changed just dont know what exactly

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
That may be true but we used to never get completely shut down like this. 2014 first couple games slower than the end of 2014 but we still moved the ball on VT, and duke and them turnovers would kill drives. We wouldnt ever get shut down like we did basically all of last year and than BC snd clem this year. Somethings changed just dont know what exactly
We've played two great D's in BC and Clem, that's what changed, and we played them early in the year with a bunch of young, inexperienced OL's. If we are lucky enough to win the Coastal and we have to face Clem again, my guess is our OL fairs much better the second go round.

Ggee87

Helluva Engineer
We've played two great D's in BC and Clem, that's what changed, and we played them early in the year with a bunch of young, inexperienced OL's. If we are lucky enough to win the Coastal and we have to face Clem again, my guess is our OL fairs much better the second go round.
I agree. If we play Clemson later in the season I think we fare much better. We're just not quite in rhythm yet... despite winning a few games to start the year. I also agree that we need to mix up our blocking techniques more often. I wonder if CPJ has OUR defenders trying to completely avoid cut blocks during practice like opposing teams do. I just don't see him risking injury to an already thin Dline. I think it's a case of CPJ being too arrogant to admit his offense can be severely limited by doing a couple of key things. Especially when weve consistently shown that we don't have a plan B to resort to. We did in the 2nd half a little bit... but that was entirely too late IMO

VT put 49 on BC. What does that say about our offense?

And what will you say if that single game proves to be an aberration?:rolleyes:
I would this, If and buts were candy and nuts we'd all have a merry Christmas. Duke scares me, uncheat scares me, turkeys scare me, da u terrifies me. Prep time for this offense used to be an issue, but that isn't the case anymore for the good coaches in the acc. Not much has changed since the first day it arrived.

inGTwetrust

Ramblin' Wreck
I would this, If and buts were candy and nuts we'd all have a merry Christmas. Duke scares me, uncheat scares me, turkeys scare me, da u terrifies me. Prep time for this offense used to be an issue, but that isn't the case anymore for the good coaches in the acc. Not much has changed since the first day it arrived.

Not much has changed since the spread option was invented other than some variations. But the way it sounds, coaches didn't worry about stopping it until 2015....right? Makes sense.

I get you don't like CPJ or his offense, but to act likes it's any more figured out than other offensive systems is ludicrous. We have put up above average to good numbers since paul came on board - minus a few games as were pointed out already.

To me it's an execution issue. The talent gap is about the same as it has historically been, we just can't seem to consistently get a hat on the right guy. Let Alabama block like us and see how well they do.

Silk3

Ramblin' Wreck
I would hope we fair much better than 10 yards in the first half

Deltajacket

Georgia Tech Fan
In PJ's first few years here, DC's had no clue about how to defend against this O. It has gotten more difficult as they've learned what works and doesn't. But this O does work when executed correctly. It all starts with our front five and the curve to learn their job is steep. Go read the thread I started about our blocking scheme. Sewak can teach it correctly all day long but it's up to our players to effectively execute it. That's not near as easy a task as it was when DC's didn't understand what we were doing. D's today play us very aggressively and shift constantly in an effort to disrupt OL assignments. Go read and learn what is involved and you won't be as quick to criticize our athletes or coaches. Those big uglies in the trench have a job that is equal in difficulty to our QB.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
In PJ's first few years here, DC's had no clue about how to defend against this O. It has gotten more difficult as they've learned what works and doesn't. But this O does work when executed correctly. It all starts with our front five and the curve to learn their job is steep. Go read the thread I started about our blocking scheme. Sewak can teach it correctly all day long but it's up to our players to effectively execute it. That's not near as easy a task as it was when DC's didn't understand what we were doing. D's today play us very aggressively and shift constantly in an effort to disrupt OL assignments. Go read and learn what is involved and you won't be as quick to criticize our athletes or coaches. Those big uglies in the trench have a job that is equal in difficulty to our QB.
Very well said.