Jimmies and Joe's and Mike Sewak

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
Our playbook and blocking must not have changed much over the last 9 years, just the personnel. The teams we play every year now know what our offensive blocking schemes are and our tendencies. They should know changes to blocking schemes by now. PJ needs to add some variations to the offense every game to counter the defensive schemes. I am afraid he just thinks he needs to work the system harder. That is the mistake a lot of formerly successful corporations have made over the years, e.g.--we just aren't executing our plan--we need to work our plan harder. In fact they have failed to keep up with the competition.

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
I know PJ wants to win, and I support him 100%. But he needs to be asked some serious X's and O's questions that nobody seems to be asking him. Why is an A-back tasked with blocking a DE when he is CLEARLY out-matched? You can't just say "Well that's his assignment on that particular play, and he needs to win that individual battle".

Sorry for the negativity, but I just watched the entire 1st qtr in Slow-Mo so I'm not in the best mood.

In another era with a different O scheme my task for a halfback ("A-Back) on a belly inside play was to block the DT, on an off tackle play the assignment was the DE, on a sweep it was the CB. On some special cross blocks it was the LB. Smaller guys have always had assignments to block the bigger players on certain plays in virtually any O. Sometimes you need to take them down, sometimes drive them out, but more usually to get in their way, cut them off, and interrupt their pursuit. As a running back it is what you are expected to do.

Deltajacket

Georgia Tech Fan
Our playbook and blocking must not have changed much over the last 9 years, just the personnel. The teams we play every year now know what our offensive blocking schemes are and our tendencies. They should know changes to blocking schemes by now. PJ needs to add some variations to the offense every game to counter the defensive schemes. I am afraid he just thinks he needs to work the system harder. That is the mistake a lot of formerly successful corporations have made over the years, e.g.--we just aren't executing our plan--we need to work our plan harder. In fact they have failed to keep up with the competition.
That could be, but we saw what happened a few years ago in the Vad era when PJ tried mixing it up. The next year he focused on mastering the basic system and suddenly everything jelled. We change players on the Oline a lot due to graduation, injuries, or players leaving the team. We also move players around on the line a lot as well. Our best years have been behind veteran lines that had little position movement and few injuries. That tells me that it's a complicated system and experience at a specific position counts a lot. Adding complexity by introducing new wrinkles makes things worse.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer

So, when CPJ says that a significant problem is missed assignments (going to the wrong guy rather than getting beat by the defender), do you think he's lying?

Milwaukee

Banned
In another era with a different O scheme my task for a halfback ("A-Back) on a belly inside play was to block the DT, on an off tackle play the assignment was the DE, on a sweep it was the CB. On some special cross blocks it was the LB. Smaller guys have always had assignments to block the bigger players on certain plays in virtually any O. Sometimes you need to take them down, sometimes drive them out, but more usually to get in their way, cut them off, and interrupt their pursuit. As a running back it is what you are expected to do.

You're not following. You're basically saying "well that's his assignment on that particular play, so he just needs to win that individual battle".

I think you, myself, and PJ know how blocking schemes and assignments work. As a coach you should adjust your scheme so certain players aren't put into mismatches like that.

Follow?