Jimmies and Joe's and Mike Sewak

jayparr

Helluva Engineer
As far as the jimmy and joes or 4* or 2* people need to be aware of what the ncaa did just a few years ago! That is the ncaa mandated that athletes maintain a certain progression toward their degree! Now a factory football school can certainly handle this rule MUCH easier than an an academic hard school like Tech of which a lot of regular students take more years to graduate than the factories!!! Now this is true and it's on the ncaa not CPJ.

Jerry the Jacket

Helluva Engineer
Our size and talent should render better results than we are seeing. There is definitely a scheme problem that is limiting our success. I agree when Parker went in, the overall performance looked better. I think in general our coaches tend to stay with same guys regardless of performance level thinking that they will improve as the game goes along. I would like to see them pull the guy out as soon as he makes a mistake and give him some up close and personal instruction before allowing him back in the game. To me our center has not been performing up to snuff, I would give Marshall or Cooper some playing time at Center. Shamire needs to be limited to goal line and short yardage situations, the Morgans need some snaps and we need to reevaluate the blocking schemes in general and fix the problem allowing so many occasions of defensive personnel running free into the backfield. There is just no damn excuse for that. We have to establish the line of scrimmage before we worry about getting to the second level. Right now we are not consistently doing that. Focus on short yardage and progress to explosive plays. I think our strategy and scheme is out ahead of our headlights. Establish smash mouth, then progress to explosive plays. We just are not executing enough at the basic 3 yard play. Do that first consistently and then progress to the next level. Just my thoughts on the situation.

Go Jackets!

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Our size and talent should render better results than we are seeing. There is definitely a scheme problem that is limiting our success. I agree when Parker went in, the overall performance looked better. I think in general our coaches tend to stay with same guys regardless of performance level thinking that they will improve as the game goes along. I would like to see them pull the guy out as soon as he makes a mistake and give him some up close and personal instruction before allowing him back in the game. To me our center has not been performing up to snuff, I would give Marshall or Cooper some playing time at Center. Shamire needs to be limited to goal line and short yardage situations, the Morgans need some snaps and we need to reevaluate the blocking schemes in general and fix the problem allowing so many occasions of defensive personnel running free into the backfield. There is just no damn excuse for that. We have to establish the line of scrimmage before we worry about getting to the second level. Right now we are not consistently doing that. Focus on short yardage and progress to explosive plays. I think our strategy and scheme is out ahead of our headlights. Establish smash mouth, then progress to explosive plays. We just are not executing enough at the basic 3 yard play. Do that first consistently and then progress to the next level. Just my thoughts on the situation.

Go Jackets!
Agree on getting players like cooper and morgan kids playing time. They have the beef to play well against lessor teams.
However, we must have a set of plays that QB can option to when superior talented teams are bringing the house.

Also we should do more fold blocking and pull guards, etc to offset the rush with quick counter plays .in fouth q we did this somewhat. Why not realize BEFORE THE GAME STARTS that freshman and soph are not going to beable to take on NFL bound head on.

Are ever going to try a dump pass to the ab or is the go route up the seam it?

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
The one I recall on Thursday almost resulted in a touchdown... for Clemson.

Your right we did through one quick pass. Well check that off the bucket list.

I guess since it didn't work we should continue to do the old favorite from 2015. Lets run the inspirational "qb run for his life then twirls around throw it in the stands play".

We will start doing quick passes and quick trap plays this week so we can avoid the twirl pass .

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
CPJ is at every practice...overseeing the offense....every aspect of it. If you think the Oline wasn't being coached properly.....dontcha think he'd change the coaching of it? Even if in love with Sewak, and unwilling to fire him for that reason, dontcha think he'd just coach it himself?

It's a dumb criticism of a coach from fans who have never seen a practice to know what they are talking about. But if you think the results speak for themselves to back you up, you honestly should be saying fire CPJ. It's just that simple.

CPJ is at every practice...overseeing the offense....every aspect of it. If you think the Oline wasn't being coached properly.....dontcha think he'd change the coaching of it? Even if in love with Sewak, and unwilling to fire him for that reason, dontcha think he'd just coach it himself?

It's a dumb criticism of a coach from fans who have never seen a practice to know what they are talking about. But if you think the results speak for themselves to back you up, you honestly should be saying fire CPJ. It's just that simple.
And yet he is constantly criticizing the O-line for their performance in games. He has to know something is wrong somehow

The OL in '14 really didn't start to gel until halfway through the season or later.
Why do you continually bring up 14 like it's the end all be all of Tech football. I could easily say in 1990 the line did this or in 2008 the OL did that. We are in 2016 and in 2016 like in 20015, since you like back dating so much, the line is not performing worth a crap.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Why do you continually bring up 14 like it's the end all be all of Tech football. I could easily say in 1990 the line did this or in 2008 the OL did that. We are in 2016 and in 2016 like in 20015, since you like back dating so much, the line is not performing worth a crap.
Because we've only played 3 games and we heard the same ****e in '14 after 3 games that we're hearing now. I've never seen so many chicken littles on the board but I guess I should expect it by now.

Because we've only played 3 games and we heard the same ****e in '14 after 3 games that we're hearing now. I've never seen so many chicken littles on the board but I guess I should expect it by now.
One year out of 8 that the line looked good is good thing? You're acting like this is a new problem and everyone is overreacting. One can see what they want, but it doesn't make it so. Just keeping it real, sorry you are offended by reality.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
While in past cheese has attributed much of the 14 sucuess to the senior laddened skill positions, he is also right about the ol getting much betterin second half of 14. I watched us improve as well end was so impressed, I decided to drive from fla and get tickets for clemson game to watch what I thought would be an epic battle. In past our ol was so small the larger teams like lsu, iowa would simply manhandle them. Now we had by far our largest ol & very experienced ol who had really done well at unc.
We had chamberlin braun, burden, mason, joe and a devine. They waded into the large and highly talented Clemson dl and fought to a draw. It was awsome to see our guys win one on one. The def
Going on to the acc and orange bowl we saw great success against teams w top talent but w in experienced dc. I thought it was the newly arrived LARGE ol and not the sr skill guys who had not been game changers in the 3-4 previous years.
It is quite possible the ol though young can gel and make a big difference. Now we are seeing defenses that are aggressive most of time and super aggressive the rest.
Getting young guys to react w speed is tough.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
One year out of 8 that the line looked good is good thing? You're acting like this is a new problem and everyone is overreacting. One can see what they want, but it doesn't make it so. Just keeping it real, sorry you are offended by reality.
The problem is completely overstated. Yes, the OL hasn't been perfect. The only question that matters is has it been good enough to move the ball and score points. Against the vast majority of teams on our schedule, the answer has been yes. The answer has been no vs the elite defenses, I'll grant you that, but that's a recruiting issue more than a scheme or coaching one, imo. And as a recruiting issue, it speaks more to GT as a school and the challenges that presents more than the coach. Just look back through history and you'll find comparable talent coach to coach to coach.

Another issue presented by our offense is real, however, and that's the time it takes in season to peak. Our scheme is complicated and relies on synchronicity and timing. Scheduling elite defenses early in the season is a bad plan. We need time to get up to speed.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
We also need a passing game that can force a defense to divert resources and take pressure off the OL. It's a lot harder to block 8 guys with your OL than it is 7 or 6 or 5.

We also need a passing game that can force a defense to divert resources and take pressure off the OL. It's a lot harder to block 8 guys with your OL than it is 7 or 6 or 5.
All you have done is make all the anti Johnson crowd very happy. The shortcomings are directly related to a stubborn coach that won't even tweet his offense for the betterment of the team. Like u said our line is bigger and more physically gifted than anytime in Paul's tenure, but now the dukes of the world have jumped us. Passing.........that really shows Paul's shortcomings. Fing jail break when the ball is snapped. Going on 9 years and we are worst than in year ONE.

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
Last time I checked, we have two OL coaches. The problem isn't the coaching. The problem is it's increasingly hard to find guys who can match up physically with the factories, especially early. The guys we get, typically need a few years in the system to develop and peak. You can't always take 5 OL every year and not everybody pans out as hoped or stays healthy or makes grades. These things lead to holes in the line that have to be filled with guys who, though talented, are not ready yet. I think that's where we are right now.

And the 4 returning starters last year? Should CPJ be given, what, 15 years to get his players in here? Our guys match up physically just fine.

The season is nowhere near over, but 9 years is plenty of time to get your system installed.

There is still the constant of Sewak / Johnson and they way they want our kids to block is disgusting .

Course, I guess it would help if we did not always wear the wrong cleats as well.