Jimmies and Joe's and Mike Sewak

charles

Jolly Good Fellow
last night was a clear example of the superior talent of Clemson athletes on both offensive and defense I will go as far to say that if we played them 5 straight times we would lose all 5 games but that being said I think CPJ really needs to replace Sewak and get a more firery and more youthful coordinator with a fresh approach and techniques that will inspire the kids more; Based on his demeanor and the interviews that I have seen of him he seems tired and lost. 3 offensive line coaches that need to be looked at are Georgia Southern; Citadel the whole staff is very young and if you want to see a perfect executed offensive run against a larger more talented team you need to see the replay of the Citadel vs USC from last year on youtube and Navys offensive line coach Just one persons opinion

sidewalkGTfan

Helluva Engineer
Paul is married to Sewak. It will not change. For better or for worse. And most likely Sewak is coaching these guys like CPj wants them coached.
THIS...No matter how much bitching and moaning PJ does about the OL, he's not firing his best buddy. After last season, I thought PJ would might kick him out the door, but Sewak's not leaving til PJ leaves. Just accept it...

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Last time I checked, we have two OL coaches. The problem isn't the coaching. The problem is it's increasingly hard to find guys who can match up physically with the factories, especially early. The guys we get, typically need a few years in the system to develop and peak. You can't always take 5 OL every year and not everybody pans out as hoped or stays healthy or makes grades. These things lead to holes in the line that have to be filled with guys who, though talented, are not ready yet. I think that's where we are right now.

babuka

Georgia Tech Fan
I know you always like to think our talent is not very good compared to the factories, but I often think you sell them short. The fact is I don't see good execution on the offensive line. Too often they turn a man loose, or miss a block, or lose the battle not because they got knocked on their rear, but because of mental mistakes. I blame coaching. Not the scheme, but the teaching and communication of that scheme to the players. This is my observation. The coaching staff should evaluate how they teach the concepts and create blocking rules. They should also evaluate how they execute the repetitions in practice. I think they should take advantage of some of the new VR technology being used by some teams to get additional visual reps in without counting as practice time. No reason it should take more than 1-2 years in a system to not know the scheme well. A 5th year senior at tech should have no more than 1 missed block in an entire game due to a mental mistake. Our offensive line talent is better than what you think. it is a systemic execution issue and systemic issues are not on the players but the coaches.

GTFLETCH

Banned
Just my take, but when S. Devine went out and Parker Braun replaced him it looked like the OL play was better, not sure if it was because the game was already over or because Braun gives us a better chance..

Cam

Helluva Engineer
Sure would be nice to have Donavaughn Campbell on the team. He's not even cracking the 3 deep at any OL position (as of this week) at the ever-talented LSU, he might actually be an asset here. Though it seems our problems are mostly execution-based, not necessarily talent.

sidewalkGTfan

Helluva Engineer
Last time I checked, we have two OL coaches. The problem isn't the coaching. The problem is it's increasingly hard to find guys who can match up physically with the factories, especially early. The guys we get, typically need a few years in the system to develop and peak. You can't always take 5 OL every year and not everybody pans out as hoped or stays healthy or makes grades. These things lead to holes in the line that have to be filled with guys who, though talented, are not ready yet. I think that's where we are right now.
1 of those OL coaches has been here during CPJ's entire tenure. The OL has under-performed more years than not and I believe CPJ would agree with me.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
I know you always like to think our talent is not very good compared to the factories, but I often think you sell them short. The fact is I don't see good execution on the offensive line. Too often they turn a man loose, or miss a block, or lose the battle not because they got knocked on their rear, but because of mental mistakes. I blame coaching. Not the scheme, but the teaching and communication of that scheme to the players. This is my observation. The coaching staff should evaluate how they teach the concepts and create blocking rules. They should also evaluate how they execute the repetitions in practice. I think they should take advantage of some of the new VR technology being used by some teams to get additional visual reps in without counting as practice time. No reason it should take more than 1-2 years in a system to not know the scheme well. A 5th year senior at tech should have no more than 1 missed block in an entire game due to a mental mistake. Our offensive line talent is better than what you think. it is a systemic execution issue and systemic issues are not on the players but the coaches.

I don't know anything about what happens in the coaching and what's involved in the missed assignments, but this makes sense to me.

DvilleJacket

Helluva Engineer
I was at the game in the north end and the speed of Clemson on D was scary! It's like they knew what play was coming. The talent on that team is amazing!

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Sure would be nice to have Donavaughn Campbell on the team. He's not even cracking the 3 deep at any OL position (as of this week) at the ever-talented LSU, he might actually be an asset here. Though it seems our problems are mostly execution-based, not necessarily talent.

I don't get this line of thinking...the assumption that a guy who is 4th team or scout team at a SEC school is automatically better than our kids. he might turn out to be a great player down the road. Are there freshmen good enough to make a noticeable difference on the LOS? Yes, Clemson had one on their DL who could probably play, even start, for any P5 school.But i think DL is an easier transition in terms of technique and assignments than OL.

After 8 years that is getting old. How much longer until it's figured out? Year 10, 11?

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer

He would be just as wasted here as Devine is, a 300+ lb man throwing himself at the feet of smaller players

GTRX7

Helluva Engineer
After 8 years that is getting old. How much longer until it's figured out? Year 10, 11?

If by "figured out" you mean top 10 every year, I think the answer is probably never. If by "figure out" you mean have an exceptional season, I would say we figured it out in '09 and '14. Before that, it was '98, '90.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
Just my take, but when S. Devine went out and Parker Braun replaced him it looked like the OL play was better, not sure if it was because the game was already over or because Braun gives us a better chance..
Braun was in a lot at left guard for will as well, I wonder if will should move back out to tackle.

If by "figured out" you mean top 10 every year, I think the answer is probably never. If by "figure out" you mean have an exceptional season, I would say we figured it out in '09 and '14. Before that, it was '98, '90.
By figure it out, I mean we have recruited several OL in every class and it still seems they are the weak link in the offense. They continually miss assignments. I see guys passing DL that make the plays more times than I can care to remember. If the scheme is too complicated for the players to pick up then the coaches need to rethink how the teaching is done. "Wait until Paul gets his players in and they all know the system and you'll see just how good this offense can be." Against Clemson the gap is getting larger. They have always recruited much better than Tech so that hasn't changed. The more teams see Tech's offense the easier it is getting for them to stop it. We are not fooling anyone anymore. This offense isn't scaring anyone. Send more guys that can be blocked every play and this offense crumbles and becomes a liability. Paul's lack of creativeness is becoming more obvious every game. At some point the cries of missed assignments falls on deaf ears and becomes an indictment of the scheme. After 8 years I shouldn't be seeing and hearing the same gripes.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
By figure it out, I mean we have recruited several OL in every class and it still seems they are the weak link in the offense. They continually miss assignments. I see guys passing DL that make the plays more times than I can care to remember. If the scheme is too complicated for the players to pick up then the coaches need to rethink how the teaching is done. "Wait until Paul gets his players in and they all know the system and you'll see just how good this offense can be." Against Clemson the gap is getting larger. They have always recruited much better than Tech so that hasn't changed. The more teams see Tech's offense the easier it is getting for them to stop it. We are not fooling anyone anymore. This offense isn't scaring anyone. Send more guys that can be blocked every play and this offense crumbles and becomes a liability. Paul's lack of creativeness is becoming more obvious every game. At some point the cries of missed assignments falls on deaf ears and becomes an indictment of the scheme. After 8 years I shouldn't be seeing and hearing the same gripes.
So, how do you feel about the offense?