JHD eligible for 2015

LibertyTurns

Banned
For me this will be the first year in a long time where I am actually excited to see what the defense can do as opposed to hoping that we can stop the offense enough to out score the opponent.
We're going to need the defense to step up more than many on here would care to admit. If they don't, standby for the pitchforks from the haters (they may be silent at the moment but they have not gone away).

Carober18

Georgia Tech Fan
But.... Isn't that how you win games?

No, it is very different and unrelated. Being excited to see what a defense can do as opposed to a fan hoping a team can stop the offense enough to out score the opponent has nothing to do with winning games. It is about a fan finally looking forward to watching a defense play (after years of, for lack of a better word, despair) as opposed to hoping it can suffice. Snarky response, so snarky response returned. No offense.

Dottie1145

Helluva Engineer
No, it is very different and unrelated. Being excited to see what a defense can do as opposed to a fan hoping a team can stop the offense enough to out score the opponent has nothing to do with winning games. It is about a fan finally looking forward to watching a defense play (after years of, for lack of a better word, despair) as opposed to hoping it can suffice. Snarky response, so snarky response returned. No offense.
It was a sarcastic remark, yeah. Snarky, not so much. I wasn't trying to be rude in the slightest, but thanks for pointing that out. You're a complete clown. No offense.

Dottie1145

Helluva Engineer
And I was referring to the phrase he used, "hoping that we can stop the offense enough to out score the opponent.". Have a nice evening.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
We're going to need the defense to step up more than many on here would care to admit. If they don't, standby for the pitchforks from the haters (they may be silent at the moment but they have not gone away).
You're right on both counts. They never seem very far away, and we need to temper our enthusiasm a bit until we actually know whether Hunt-Days is going to play. It will make a huge difference in the whole atmosphere of the team and surrounding it.

Carober18

Georgia Tech Fan
And I was referring to the phrase he used, "hoping that we can stop the offense enough to out score the opponent.". Have a nice evening.

I'm not trying to be some internet hero. Yes, it was sarcastic. And it's fair to say you were pointing out the specific clause in his sentence, but at the time it came across to me as snarky, so I pointed it out.

Eastman

Helluva Engineer

Sometimes I write a quick response assuming people will understand the basic thrust of my statement and not analyze every clause for its accuracy. Sorry it was tough to pick up the basic meaning of what I was saying. It was that I am looking forward to seeing the defense this year because I am optimistic it will be much better and hopefully we can win many games without the offense needing to score as many points as in the last few years. If more clarity is needed just let me know.

By the way, teams can win games without "the offense scoring enough to out score the opponent" since the defense etc can score as well, but I assume that "basic thrust" of your statement "Isn't that how you win games" wasn't meant to be criticized that closely (like some people on this board do) :)

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
I know one thing, our opponents are going to feel like their offenses are being closely criticized by our defense. :)

And I think that is what we are all looking forward to. :smug:

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
I know one thing, our opponents are going to feel like their offenses are being closely criticized by our defense. :)

And I think that is what we are all looking forward to. :smug:
Either UNC or GT is bound to be sorely disappointed this season. Both have defenses that are by definition historically bad, and both are absolutely convinced this is the year. And both have said the same thing every year. I am just keeping my fingers crossed. Both hands. Makes it hard to get work done, but something just has to work for us.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Either UNC or GT is bound to be sorely disappointed this season. Both have defenses that are by definition historically bad, and both are absolutely convinced this is the year. And both have said the same thing every year. I am just keeping my fingers crossed. Both hands. Makes it hard to get work done, but something just has to work for us.
I remain skeptical while hoping for more. Our D did some good things at key moments last year, but did not finish on a high note.

BCJacket

Ramblin' Wreck

I'm thinking both fan bases will be disappointed. I expect GT fans to be a little bit disappointed. Because, we all want JHD to be the second coming of Joe Green. I see GT taking major a step forward, but not being quite the "best of the CPJ era" some are expecting.

UNC, I feel like everything they're saying about Chizick was what I was saying about Groh in 2010. "He's like another head coach", "he's one of the best defensive minds in football", etc. He might work out, he might blow up, he might be the best DC of all time. But, how much improvement can he make in one year? We shall see. After all, a steaming turd is an improvement over a flaming turd.