Jeune

WrongShadeOfGold

Jolly Good Fellow
Well, they both had plenty of opportunity this year, especially when Summer left the team.

I was surprised to see Brandon Oliver (a walk-on) WR get snaps ahead of Messick last weekend.

With Philpott, and Harland Howell coming off redshirts...and Dolphus coming in (if he signs), snaps will at WR will be harder to come by next year.

Messick has no motor and no will to block so he will never see the field as long as CPJ is head coach.

GTBandit22

Helluva Engineer
24-520-4 Jeune
26-442-6 Waller 2014
35-715-7 Smelter 2014
Comparison works well because all had 12 games due to no bowl(Jeune), suspension(Waller), and injury(Smelter). Jeune is in good company with Waller, but we need him closer to Smelter in production.
He has the tools, but he needs to get stronger and block his size.

BainbridgeJacket

Helluva Engineer
I didn't see a WR on the team this year that got the separation we need from them. It's more critical to this offense than many realize. Think if we had a consistent third down conversion threat. Probably the worst position group on the team this year behind AB. I give Jeune the highest grade of the group, though, C-.

Declinometer

Banned
I didn't see a WR on the team this year that got the separation we need from them. It's more critical to this offense than many realize. Think if we had a consistent third down conversion threat. Probably the worst position group on the team this year behind AB. I give Jeune the highest grade of the group, though, C-.

I can think of a few position groups worse than the WR's. LB's, punters, OG's, AB's...

Yoda

Helluva Engineer
24-520-4 Jeune
26-442-6 Waller 2014
35-715-7 Smelter 2014
Comparison works well because all had 12 games due to no bowl(Jeune), suspension(Waller), and injury(Smelter). Jeune is in good company with Waller, but we need him closer to Smelter in production.
I look for him to be a beast. He reminds me a lot of Smelter.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer

While I think that this is generally true (I haven't watched with this in mind), I recall more than a couple times where Summers did get separation, but the ball was under- or over-thrown.

TechnicalPossum

Ramblin' Wreck
Jeune is the kind of receiver we need. Think all the way back to when Calvin was our star. Before Thomas started, there was James Johnson. He wasn't the best, wasn't the fastest, but he was solid and did his job. Jeune already is solid and does his job and could be a #1 receiver. Even if he doesn't improve a hair more, he has a spot on this offense though as a solid #2. Be patient with him. He will only improve.

Yaller Jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Isn't Philpott supposed to be real fast and pretty big?

A week or so ago I was looking for some info about Cottrell and stumbled on a series Ken S wrote last summer about some of our standout recruits. Philpott sounded really, really impressive. I'm hoping he works himself into some game time next year.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
24-520-4 Jeune
26-442-6 Waller 2014
35-715-7 Smelter 2014
One thing to keep in mind. Waller got his 26-442-6 in a season where the guy across the field from him got 35-715-7. Jeune didn't have that. Who was the closest in WR numbers in 2015? Asked another way: how many yards do you think Waller would have gotten if Smelter wasn't around?

Lee

Ramblin' Wreck
One thing to keep in mind. Waller got his 26-442-6 in a season where the guy across the field from him got 35-715-7. Jeune didn't have that. Who was the closest in WR numbers in 2015? Asked another way: how many yards do you think Waller would have gotten if Smelter wasn't around?

Valid point. In fact, 42% of Wallers yardage and 1/3 of his TDs came in the 2 games Smelter didn't play. 10 catches for 187 yards. This offense more than most tends to have one go to guy and then a complement guy along with some abacks. In fact, it's not uncommon for an aback to be second on the team in receiving yards. Jeune was solid this year, but nothing compared to Waller and definitely not Smelter. There is potential there, he just needs to get more physical and be more aggressive.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Valid point. In fact, 42% of Wallers yardage and 1/3 of his TDs came in the 2 games Smelter didn't play. 10 catches for 187 yards. This offense more than most tends to have one go to guy and then a complement guy along with some abacks. In fact, it's not uncommon for an aback to be second on the team in receiving yards. Jeune was solid this year, but nothing compared to Waller and definitely not Smelter. There is potential there, he just needs to get more physical and be more aggressive.

CPJ's MO on WRs seems to be one solid all around WR (Tyler Melton, Summers, Stewart) and one spectacular freak athlete starting on the opposite side. Even last year when we had both Waller and Smelter, Waller was playing behind Summers. Obviously if CPJ had 2 Demaryius Thomases or 2 Smelters at the same time they would both start together, but those guys were really good at the other things CPJ values anyhow (how many times did we go "Did you see that block?" when BayBay and Smelter sent someone to the turf?). That's why I think Brad Stewart remains the starter along with Jeune, with Philpott and Harland Howell backing them up. If Jeune could solidify the rest of his game on par with Brad Stewart, that may open the way for Philpott to play a bigger role as the "freak WR" given his vertical speed and size.

We know one thing, if all you want to do is catch the ball, and you don't take care of your assignments, you ain't getting on that field for CPJ.

Declinometer

Banned
A week or so ago I was looking for some info about Cottrell and stumbled on a series Ken S wrote last summer about some of our standout recruits. Philpott sounded really, really impressive. I'm hoping he works himself into some game time next year.

Just a reminder to all, it takes more than measurables to be good

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
I like Stewart and what he brings to the table, but i don't think he has the seperation speed needed to be dominent at this level