Jeune

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
The whole idea is to be able to defeat one on one coverage. If that happens enough the D has to commit another defender in the form of a flat defender or a safety over the top to stop that receiver. When that happens we have to make fewer blocks in the running game and also in pass protection. If we have two receivers who require two defenders even better as that's one more out of the box.

Our problem this year was not having a receiver who could consistently beat one on one coverage. Both Jeune and Stewart and the other RS receivers need to work to be that guy next year. I believe that is the biggest factor for our O for next year.

We are not good enough to make 10 blocks on every play nor is any offense. The coaches didn't forget how to coach. It's as simple as a numbers game.
That and we didn't have a consistent dive that would freeze the MLB. That guy was free to sprint down the line at will on every snap. We absolutely cannot have that and have success.

deeeznutz

Helluva Engineer
Hope Lynch was at least runnerup.
Clinton Lynch was a revelation this year, that dude busted his *** to contribute. He was about the only bright spot in a couple games this year. I like the potential AB rotation of Lynch, Searcy, JJ Green, Cottrell, and Taquon Marshall (and maybe even Keith Marshall too). A little blocking can go a long way with that kind of speed/skill at the edge.

PBR549

Ramblin' Wreck
I don't want anyone to take my earlier comment as a personal criticism of Jeune. I can appreciate him getting the award and I'm definitely not saying he doesn't deserve it. My comment was not about effort but about scheme in general. I would never belittle a player's efforts who is out there putting it on the line every day at practice to the best of his ability. I'm hoping that experience of the receivers who played this year and the RS freshmen will make a difference next year.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Lynch just quietly makes plays.

Love that dude's game. Showing everyone the potential of that position in this offense. Had our blocking and pass protection been better, his numbers from that spot would have been more impressive. I can remember a few plays where we just missed him up the field and down the seams because the QB was running for his life.

Just my opinion, but we still have not seen the full potential of the AB position yet. Orwin and Godhigh were close, but none of those guys have the speed + athleticism + all around game this group of ABs have. Really excited for this group the next few years.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Love that dude's game. Showing everyone the potential of that position in this offense. Had our blocking and pass protection been better, his numbers from that spot would have been more impressive. I can remember a few plays where we just missed him up the field and down the seams because the QB was running for his life.

Just my opinion, but we still have not seen the full potential of the AB position yet. Orwin and Godhigh were close, but none of those guys have the speed + athleticism + all around game this group of ABs have. Really excited for this group the next few years.
Willing and able to block comes first, but I agree with the jist of your post.

deeeznutz

Helluva Engineer

Qua Searcy was looking mighty impressive in the early going, too. I think we may have had some different results if we hadn't lost so many bodies at an already young/thin position, but looking on the bright side at least a lot of guys got meaningful reps. I'm excited to see Searcy, Lynch, Green, and Cottrell roll out at AB next year.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Qua Searcy was looking mighty impressive in the early going, too. I think we may have had some different results if we hadn't lost so many bodies at an already young/thin position, but looking on the bright side at least a lot of guys got meaningful reps. I'm excited to see Searcy, Lynch, Green, and Cottrell roll out at AB next year.
He looked good, I agree, but put it in context. It was against two cupcakes. He got hurt in the ND game, iirc, and didn't look too good in it before the injury.

InsideLB

Helluva Engineer
IF he puts in the work on all phases of his game Jeune can be the next great GT WR. No question about it.

Fortunately he won the effort award so hopefully he just mashes on the gas. Nobody trained harder than D. Thomas and C. Johnson.

deeeznutz

Helluva Engineer
He looked good, I agree, but put it in context. It was against two cupcakes. He got hurt in the ND game, iirc, and didn't look too good in it before the injury.
Oh I agree it definitely wasn't against the best competition, but the skills were very evident. As a runner he made quick and decisive cuts, as a receiver he was fluid in his routes and caught the ball well. Plus those were his first games for us, so you know he was going to improve.