Jeune

Yaller Jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Just a reminder to all, it takes more than measurables to be good

Declinometer, I don't disagree with you. However, if you are faster than the corner in front of you, it changes everything. Blow by him once and even if you don't hit the big one, he will give you cushon and you can catch it in front of him. On your comebacks, he'll be well off you making the catch easier. Speed in a receiver is just a big plus.

BainbridgeJacket

Helluva Engineer
Too many people are focusing on catches. That's not the most important role of a receiver in this offense. They need to fire out and put pressure on their defender. They need to be a threat to create space in the passing game in order to create space in the run game.

Declinometer

Banned
Neither did
Fred Biletnikoff
Or
Declinometer, I don't disagree with you. However, if you are faster than the corner in front of you, it changes everything. Blow by him once and even if you don't hit the big one, he will give you cushon and you can catch it in front of him. On your comebacks, he'll be well off you making the catch easier. Speed in a receiver is just a big plus.
what if the receiver can't catch? Oops

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
I like Stewart and what he brings to the table, but i don't think he has the seperation speed needed to be dominent at this level
You don't have to be a burner at wide receiver to get separation. Jerry Rice, the best wide receiver of all time, was not a burner.

The point of making the comparison is that you don't have to be super fast. You can be quick out of your cuts. You can beat guys by out jumping them.

If you have the right quarterback and offensive line, all you need is a half step anyway.

crl85

Jolly Good Fellow
How have philpot and Howell looked in practice? I have high hopes for them. Hopefully they can provide some edge blocking and create separation.

stylee

Ramblin' Wreck
Featured Member
I'm simply assuming that Stewart and Jeune get the majority of the snaps. Stewart was obviously better than Philpott or Howell this year, as he was the shirt we burned. I wouldn't mind being surprised but I think we have to work with the presumption that Stewart is better until shown otherwise.

gt365

Georgia Tech Fan
The problem doing the season they didn't give the other WR'S a chance to see if they can created separtion. They don't throw the ball enough to see if they can created separtion etc......

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
The problem doing the season they didn't give the other WR'S a chance to see if they can created separtion. They don't throw the ball enough to see if they can created separtion etc......

Not to mention that separation for most teams is a yard or so. In our passing it must be several yards as our delivery (agreed it is unduly rushed) is not that precise. I believe our "separation" is based more on scheme and deception and not on route running and throwing precision.

PBR549

Ramblin' Wreck
The whole idea is to be able to defeat one on one coverage. If that happens enough the D has to commit another defender in the form of a flat defender or a safety over the top to stop that receiver. When that happens we have to make fewer blocks in the running game and also in pass protection. If we have two receivers who require two defenders even better as that's one more out of the box.

Our problem this year was not having a receiver who could consistently beat one on one coverage. Both Jeune and Stewart and the other RS receivers need to work to be that guy next year. I believe that is the biggest factor for our O for next year.

We are not good enough to make 10 blocks on every play nor is any offense. The coaches didn't forget how to coach. It's as simple as a numbers game.