Jeune

stylee

Ramblin' Wreck
Featured Member
Finished with 520 yards, 4 touchdowns, and a 21.7 average. These numbers are pretty far behind the high water mark of the CPJ era (Bebe 2009, 1154, 8, 25.1) but compares favorably to Bebe's first year in the system (627, 3, 16.1).

He's not a complete human anomaly like Bebe, nor is he a physical presence like Smelter/Waller, nor does he have fast twitch muscles on par with Stephen Hill. What he does seem to have is great hand/eye coordination - see his tracking of the football on his end zone catches this year. His size is also pretty good.

His numbers came in a year that was unquestionably transitional - he's replacing NFL draftees at wideout - and weak in passing (weakest pass protection in the CPJ era?). He also entered the year as the nominal #2 guy.

With all that being said, the numbers look strong.

On the other hand, Jeune benefitted from a down year where we had to throw more than we would have liked. And though Summers was the "top guy" at the beginning of the season, to my eyes Justin began favoring RJ really early. RJ was also not a consistently good blocker, fumbled, and had some drops.

What I'm getting at: 500+ yards in your first season as The Guy is a good start and bodes well for Jeune. I think he surpasses that total next year. Thoughts on his performance and potential?

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
I'm not as enthusiastic as others about Jeune. He isn't bad, but he's no replacement for Smelter. I think Stewart is more likely to emerge as the top WR for us next year. Or maybe one of the redshirts. We need someone who holds on to the football out there, imho. And, yes, his drop in the Ugag game of a cleanly caught 1st down throw has colored my judgment of him.

Oth, he is an R-Fr. He has room for improvement just like everyone else out there; all of them could use more work. Iow, I'm not convinced by his numbers, but I'm not saying he couldn't be the cat's pajamas next year. We'll see in the fall, as with, from the looks of things, about half the positions on the team.

GaTech4ever

Helluva Engineer
I think next year he will be very productive in our offense, more than this year. However, we need the human anomalies, the physical presences, and the fast-twitch guys to keep defenses honest. Do I think this year was a good start and he will improve on those numbers? Yes. Do I think he will morph into a legit NFL prospect like the guys you named in one offseason? I doubt it, and unfortunately I think that's what we need.

deeeznutz

Helluva Engineer
I'm optimistic on all 3 guys we brought in last year being good players for us (especially Philpott, with a year in our S&C program I expect him to do some big things), and think them paired with Jeune is a solid WR corps being built. Keep in mind Bay Bay was a RS-So in 2008, so Jeune is still physically a year behind that. Not saying he'll be as good as Bay Bay because few in the NFL are even on his level, but he still has a lot of time to grow.

gtg936g

Helluva Engineer
A counterpart that can stretch the field and get separation will do wonders for his numbers.

gtg936g

Helluva Engineer
True. I think the O line will be better next year.

Imagine covering Jeune, Cotrell, Green, and another speedy WR in space. Oh yeah - don't forget JT can pull it down and run it. Still want to play cover 0?

gt365

Georgia Tech Fan
I think Jalen Johnson and A Messick will do some big things next year, only if they give them both chance. they seem to be the forgotten one.....

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
Forgot Jalen's at WR now
Philpott should be nice, he has the speed.
Stewart one more year
Harland
Messick
And if our recruit sticks Dolphus who's a big guy.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I think Jalen Johnson and A Messick will do some big things next year, only if they give them both chance. they seem to be the forgotten one.....

Well, they both had plenty of opportunity this year, especially when Summer left the team.

I was surprised to see Brandon Oliver (a walk-on) WR get snaps ahead of Messick last weekend.

With Philpott, and Harland Howell coming off redshirts...and Dolphus coming in (if he signs), snaps will at WR will be harder to come by next year.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Good question Stylee. RJ needs to keep working, like the rest of the guys. I think he had a solid season but there is plenty left on the table. In terms of the technicalities of the position, he needs to drive guys off better and come back for the ball with gusto. At times to me it looks like the CB is working harder coming back than he is. He also needs to finish better on broken down plays and keep working hard to get open. I also want to see him crave the contact in the blocking phase. Defensive players feared Smelter and his crack blocks. That kid would crush your sternum if you got caught in his path. RJ hasn't really given us that. All in all, I would give him a B for the season and his overall progress. In terms of potential, I don't think his upside is comparable to the recent NFL WRs we have seen come through here. Not many do compare to CJ or DT. That list is short, but I also see him as lacking in some exceptional capability that raises him to even Waller's or Smelter's level. Waller had the height to go with similar hands and speed. Smelter had the physicality and the ability to get out of cuts for a big guy. Jeune has yet to distinguish himself in any exceptional way. Fortunately he has a couple of years left to work.

gt365

Georgia Tech Fan
Well, they both had plenty of opportunity this year, especially when Summer left the team.

I was surprised to see Brandon Oliver (a walk-on) WR get snaps ahead of Messick last weekend.

With Philpott, and Harland Howell coming off redshirts...and Dolphus coming in (if he signs), snaps will at WR will be harder to come by next year.
Maybe because it was Senior Day last weekend, that's why Brandon played

Sideways

Helluva Engineer
Finished with 520 yards, 4 touchdowns, and a 21.7 average. These numbers are pretty far behind the high water mark of the CPJ era (Bebe 2009, 1154, 8, 25.1) but compares favorably to Bebe's first year in the system (627, 3, 16.1).

He's not a complete human anomaly like Bebe, nor is he a physical presence like Smelter/Waller, nor does he have fast twitch muscles on par with Stephen Hill. What he does seem to have is great hand/eye coordination - see his tracking of the football on his end zone catches this year. His size is also pretty good.

His numbers came in a year that was unquestionably transitional - he's replacing NFL draftees at wideout - and weak in passing (weakest pass protection in the CPJ era?). He also entered the year as the nominal #2 guy.

With all that being said, the numbers look strong.

On the other hand, Jeune benefitted from a down year where we had to throw more than we would have liked. And though Summers was the "top guy" at the beginning of the season, to my eyes Justin began favoring RJ really early. RJ was also not a consistently good blocker, fumbled, and had some drops.

What I'm getting at: 500+ yards in your first season as The Guy is a good start and bodes well for Jeune. I think he surpasses that total next year. Thoughts on his performance and potential?

He was a two or three time all state player in New Jersey so he came here "highly recommended" but then he let a couple of dogs take the ball away from him last week so who knows? He needs to get stronger, faster, and mentally tough like Smelter. He could be very good if he is willing to work harder. But then, that could be said about the whole team.

stylee

Ramblin' Wreck
Featured Member
Good question Stylee. RJ needs to keep working, like the rest of the guys. I think he had a solid season but there is plenty left on the table. In terms of the technicalities of the position, he needs to drive guys off better and come back for the ball with gusto.

I think that's a good observation. One of the central questions for every wide receiver "How am I going to get open?"
For Jeune, who can't run like a Hill, that question can't always be answered just with "I'll go right by him."

Smelter had enough speed to beat many CBs deep 1-on-1, but he couldn't do it to everyone. He therefore had a higher proportion of catches on comebacks, deep digs, etc., than Stephen Hill or Demaryius Thomas. Jeune can carve out a niche for himself by perfecting elements of his game - like selling the deep stem and attacking the ball on shorter passes.

Like I said, I've been impressed with his ability to find the ball when he's been tightly covered. The goal is to be less tightly covered.

Lee

Ramblin' Wreck
I think that's a good observation. One of the central questions for every wide receiver "How am I going to get open?"
For Jeune, who can't run like a Hill, that question can't always be answered just with "I'll go right by him."

Smelter had enough speed to beat many CBs deep 1-on-1, but he couldn't do it to everyone. He therefore had a higher proportion of catches on comebacks, deep digs, etc., than Stephen Hill or Demaryius Thomas. Jeune can carve out a niche for himself by perfecting elements of his game - like selling the deep stem and attacking the ball on shorter passes.

Like I said, I've been impressed with his ability to find the ball when he's been tightly covered. The goal is to be less tightly covered.

What I loved about Smelter was how he used his body. Not only was he great at high pointing the ball, but he would often box out DBs to bring the ball in as well. This is where I think Juene could really improve and it starts with physicality like Boomer said. He's got to get more physical, not only in blocking but also how he attacks the ball in the air.

I do think he generally has good hands and a good bit of athleticism to go with pretty good size. If he can become more of a physical presence it will not only improve his game but our running game as well.