Jeff Sims

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Was at the game to see it up close yesterday. Jordan has trouble finding throwing lanes in the pocket because of his height. There, I said it. That's why Sims is starting. Yates made some great plays pulling it down and running, some good dump downs under pressure, but he can't get the line of sight or arm angle on a lot of throws, or hasn't learned to use touch to compensate. Should have had 3 picks yesterday.

I don't have a dog in the fight. I just want us to win. I don't care if we bring in Trad Beatty at this point.

That and our OL made BC look like they had 4 draft picks on DL yesterday during passing downs. Run blocking was okay, but we just got physically WHIPPED in pass pro.
Hasn't pass protection been the main problem on offense all season? We hoped our OL, with the transfers and guys getting a bit older, would be a team strength this year. That has clearly not been the case. No OC can scheme around a DL in the QB's face.

randerto

Jolly Good Fellow
Listen, Sims was given an entire season to progress last year and one of his best games was his first start against FSU. You give Yates a season worth of reps and he’d be way ahead of where either of them are. But don’t worry, Yates should graduate and transfer to a real coach. Sims will be our starter next year and we’ll still be watching his senior year in high school.
ANY QB you put behind this offensive line will struggle with consistent performance. But while the Oline has struggled to perform with any level of consistency, the reason we're losing games is clearly due to the worst Defensive performance I recall in the past 30+ years. I thought CPJ's Defensive teams were the worst but we've now sunk to new lows on that side of the ball. Relative to our D, our O is at least showing some positive results...

randerto

Jolly Good Fellow
Hasn't pass protection been the main problem on offense all season? We hoped our OL, with the transfers and guys getting a bit older, would be a team strength this year. That has clearly not been the case. No OC can scheme around a DL in the QB's face.
This is all very true. But this team still would have met expectations with this Offense (5-6 Wins) if we had a Defense that wasn't ranked near the bottom of FBS rankings in most categories - particularly with scoring allowed, yards allowed and big plays given up...

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
We gave up 52 to Pitt, 27 to Duke, 48 to UVA, 26 to VT, 33 to Miami, and 41 to BC.
We scored 21, 31, 40, 17, 30, and 30. Normally, I’d look at that offensive output and think “we won 3 or 4 out of 6”. But not many teams beat 52, 48, 33, and 41.
If you like Yates, 30 points was enough to win a reasonable game. It was also what we scored against Miami with Sims.
Except for Pitt and KSU, we have been in a scrap with every team on our schedule. We have shortcomings on the OL and DL, but I do not think the team is far off course talentwise. The questions is related to whether this staff can take them the next step. That is a legitimate subject for debate. None of this is solved by inserting Paul Johnson's name anywhere in the thread. He is gone and not likely ever coaching again.

Tech fans have always been the fair weather variety. I remember sitting in the West stands almost alone in a game against Navy years ago. This is not the first time attendance has declined precipitously. When the team starts winning the fans will return. Going to games at BDS is still a fun thing to do.

Animal02

Banned
Except for Pitt and KSU, we have been in a scrap with every team on our schedule. We have shortcomings on the OL and DL, but I do not think the team is far off course talentwise. The questions is related to whether this staff can take them the next step. That is a legitimate subject for debate. None of this is solved by inserting Paul Johnson's name anywhere in the thread. He is gone and not likely ever coaching again.

Tech fans have always been the fair weather variety. I remember sitting in the West stands almost alone in a game against Navy years ago. This is not the first time attendance has declined precipitously. When the team starts winning the fans will return. Going to games at BDS is still a fun thing to do.
The same people that are pointing to close loses etc as a reason to back GC are the same ones that sought to get rid of CPJ for the same reasons.....it is not about CPJ, it is about the hypocrisy.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
Was at the game to see it up close yesterday. Jordan has trouble finding throwing lanes in the pocket because of his height. There, I said it. That's why Sims is starting. Yates made some great plays pulling it down and running, some good dump downs under pressure, but he can't get the line of sight or arm angle on a lot of throws, or hasn't learned to use touch to compensate. Should have had 3 picks yesterday.

I don't have a dog in the fight. I just want us to win. I don't care if we bring in Trad Beatty at this point.

That and our OL made BC look like they had 4 draft picks on DL yesterday during passing downs. Run blocking was okay, but we just got physically WHIPPED in pass pro.
It does seem he had problems finding lanes, but on a third down pass off McGowan's fingers, I think the pass was on target intended for a receiver behind him who was open. I thought it was number 7 - Gowdy?

It seems to me that both QB's have different strong points and drawbacks, but overall it's a draw as to who's better. Sims certainly has a bigger upside potential, at least physically.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer

What this team needs help with more than any position on the field is the coaching. We can make that transition in one season.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
The same people that are pointing to close loses etc as a reason to back GC are the same ones that sought to get rid of CPJ for the same reasons.....it is not about CPJ, it is about the hypocrisy.
Yeah it’s quite funny actually. Back then the story was:

“well the offense can’t score in 2 minutes” (neither can this one - or frankly not often any other time)

I looked this up earlier out of curiosity. Before the game we were #118 out of 130 in red zone TD%…i think we were 3-5 in that department yesterday, so it should improve, but even that clip would land us at about 70th nationally.

GTBandit22

Helluva Engineer
Yates is limited downfield due to arm strength and middle of the field due to size.

Sims is limited by bad decision making and touch underneath.

Both are limited by poor OL play and play selection.

We ran the same sort of offense with Yates that we run with sims, even though they are both very different players. Take that as you will

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
When we got the ball down 8 did anyone think we had a realistic shot at scoring yesterday? I didn’t. That should be a clue for who should be playing.
No, but to be fair I haven’t had any confidence when Sims has been in those situations either.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
Our line blocked well early and then they started overloading the gaps with rushers. We couldn't hold them and only one back to stay in to block. We can usually slow a rusher but not keep them out. When they knew we had to throw it was all over. This was against a second year head coach. Lots better job than what we got after 3.
They rushed 4 on the fumble. We have 5 OL, so we had the advantage and two of their guys got through. I don’t think there scheme, it’s depth.

Our first line guys were worn out and the guys behind them aren’t good enough yet to get the job done.

MountainBuzzMan

Helluva Engineer
To be fair, Independent of who was in there the odds are stacked against most teams in the country. Driving the length of the field scoring a TD and then getting a 2 point conversion just to tie the game. Isn't that something like a 5% odds of making that happen?
Unless of course you are going up against our Defense :(

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
Listen, Sims was given an entire season to progress last year and one of his best games was his first start against FSU. You give Yates a season worth of reps and he’d be way ahead of where either of them are. But don’t worry, Yates should graduate and transfer to a real coach. Sims will be our starter next year and we’ll still be watching his senior year in high school.
Yates is a serviceable backup. He is another Tevin Washington type. He’s going to manage the game and have a moderate level of success, but isn’t going to go out there and win you a game. He’s also not going to lose you a game. He has strengths and weaknesses, and unfortunately once teams adjust to him at QB, he becomes less effective.

I love Yates. I think he’s a gritty, tough-nosed player that knows how to manage a game. Unfortunately I saw many of the same things happening yesterday with

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
After the BC game maybe we can get off the QB controversy. Under pressure Sims stays in the pocket until he is consumed (which is quick) and then slings a pass, some of which are very good and some of which are bad or intercepted. Yates gets quickly flushed out of the pocket in run-for-your-life mode and he slings a pass, some of which are good and some of which are not. Neither QB can sustain drives and score enough points to overcome poor blocking or to generate enough points to overcome the points our D gives away.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
Yates is a serviceable backup. He is another Tevin Washington type. He’s going to manage the game and have a moderate level of success, but isn’t going to go out there and win you a game. He’s also not going to lose you a game. He has strengths and weaknesses, and unfortunately once teams adjust to him at QB, he becomes less effective.

I love Yates. I think he’s a gritty, tough-nosed player that knows how to manage a game. Unfortunately I saw many of the same things happening yesterday with
I like both , but yates does better rolling out to pass so in the 4th quarter why did our OC call pass plays and put him in a pocket with our OL that can't block ?

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer

IMO the main problem on offense has been, outside of RB, we just aren't quite good enough. OL is better than last year but still allows too much pressure and disruption. Not as much as last year but enough to throw us out of rhythm too often. QB play is better than last year but either doesn't have the downfield threat we need with how defenses are playing us (Yates) or still has accuracy/decision making issues at times (Sims). Again, neither as bad as last year. WRs are improved but we still lack that go to guy IMO. There have been a number of times this year where slightly off passes could have been caught but weren't. It would have been great plays to make them and it's not the "fault" of the WR for the play, but we need a go to guy that can make some of those.

I like both , but yates does better rolling out to pass so in the 4th quarter why did our OC call pass plays and put him in a pocket with our OL that can't block ?

Because rolling out cuts off half the field, and realistically more like 2/3rds of the field. If you only ever use the roll out to pass then you're extremely limited in what you can do from a route standpoint.