Jeff Sims

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
A QB's supporting cast matters and it matters A LOT.

Anyone remember VT QB Logan Thomas? He had a great freshman campaign and it looked like VT was SET at QB. Problem was that VT had awesome recievers, an excellent, veteran OL, and really good RBs that year.

When the supporting cast mostly moved on the next year Logan Thomas became a pretty meh QB.

With respect to Sim's supporting cast this season, I'd grade them as:

OL - C minus (Prior to injuries to top 3 guards and 1 starting OT I'd give the line a B to B-. We were able to run the ball fairly consistently and give Sims some time more often than not).

WR- B minus (Not a bad group overall. Has some playmaking ability. Separation can be an issue, drops have been a problem at times. With better protection it might be easier to grade. Generally when the ball is there they make the grab and we've had some big plays).

RB - A- (Gibbs is a plus receiving RB. Mason and Smith adequate). Mason is good in pass pro. Gibbs will get there.
I think it's pretty clear that Sims, Yates, or whoever is back there could perform a lot better with a decent OL.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
GT fans might not agree with you, a former player, but not to respect what you've done for our school, our team, our program is irreprehensible.

Reprehensible.

Irreprehensible means free from blame. I think you picked the wrong word on this one.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
Reprehensible.

Irreprehensible means free from blame. I think you picked the wrong word on this one.

Would you believe, not only from obviously not paying enough attention to the words I was using, but also because I actually said that, that I'd already been in the bourbon?

I get most belligerent and bellicose when I've been drinking. Imagine that! (I would have said I dabbled in pedantry, but I think there are those on this site that might have thought that meant something entirely different).

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I would have said I dabbled in pedantry, but I think there are those on this site that might have thought that meant something entirely different.
We would have believed you. No reason a GT grad couldn't specialize in children's medicine.

SWATlien

Ramblin' Wreck
I can’t believe people even having this argument. Sims is the star of the team.
He’s putting up video games numbers with a dubious Oline & a receiving core that’s less than average. Yes he has turnovers but as someone else has stated he’s young, also a good chunk of those turnovers you could directly point towards the Oline as the culprit.

It’s wild to me.

Gtswifty81

Jolly Good Fellow
Several. I’ll give you one example: Charlie Thomas. Wasted two years in Collins system.
You might be able to argue last year was wasted for Charlie but not 2019 and 2021. Charlie has always been a little undersized for linebacker so I don’t blame the staff for trying to find other roles he could fill in 2020.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
The Mount Rushmore of anti Collins guys going after ibeeballin now. This thread sucks
To set the record straight, I only entered this thread when ibeeballin made these unsubstantiated and very probably incorrect statements:

"Yates showed vs. UNC that what provided wouldn’t be enough to be anyone else on schedule"

"Pick a game Yates would’ve led us to victory post KSU"

And then he proceeded to cherry-pick plays of Yates getting stopped or missing throws, as if they were the only things he was capable of.

It's simple - ibeeballin unfairly went after student/athlete Jeff Yates, and that's when I went after ibeeballin.
I will not stand still while a player is singled out attacked on this board. For the record, I think BOTH QB's have talent and have the potential to win.

New Old Guy

Jolly Good Fellow
To set the record straight, I only entered this thread when ibeeballin made these unsubstantiated and very probably incorrect statements:

"Yates showed vs. UNC that what provided wouldn’t be enough to be anyone else on schedule"

"Pick a game Yates would’ve led us to victory post KSU"

And then he proceeded to cherry-pick plays of Yates getting stopped or missing throws, as if they were the only things he was capable of.

It's simple - ibeeballin unfairly went after student/athlete Jeff Yates, and that's when I went after ibeeballin.
I will not stand still while a player is singled out attacked on this board. For the record, I think BOTH QB's have talent and have the potential to win.
Is the Jeff Yates you mention the magical combination of our first and second team quarterbacks?