Jeff Sims Reset?

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
Everyone is rightly criticizing the OL performance from Thursday night, but they also are the same group that performed better against Pitt and Duke the previous two weeks.
Pitt's DL was banged up and Virginia's DL is better than Duke's. That was probably at least part of the difference. The OL hung in there against them, sort of, but was decimated by UVA.

stigs02jrt

Banned
You are new here. Let me give you an insider tip that might help to prolong your stay here. and hopefully help you enjoy the experience...when you join here, you are asked to read and agree to a set of rules and condition to participate here. Most people read and acknowledge and try to stay within the parameters that they have agreed to. A small percentage treat this process as a formality and don't give it much credence. Those people are then eventually freed up to pursue other opportunities on other GT message boards. Welcome, but please read and acknowledge the terms and conditions before posting. Regards.
Lol thanks, as I said, "just learned that."

stigs02jrt

Banned
My concern is the comments from key on limiting Pyrons playin. I take it as one of the posters above, that he may be a redzone QB which will do no good IF we only produce 44 yds of offense per half again. And if Long puts him in for QB designed runs only, thats trouble waiting to happen as well.

Hopefully this is just Keys way of phrasing playing time without throwing Gibson completely under the bus, and whichever performs better, plays. I think that will be Pyron, but I only have HS film to go off of so who knows.
Sounds like he doesn't want to"overload" pyron, so I'm guessing a lot of RPO. he ran an option offense in HS , then transitioned to a pass offense senior year I think, so he can probably do everything, including toting the rock

MidtownJacket

Staff member
Sounds like he doesn't want to"overload" pyron, so I'm guessing a lot of RPO. he ran an option offense in HS , then transitioned to a pass offense senior year I think, so he can probably do everything, including toting the rock
Gosh I hope he can show out. I don't think we saw Gibson's best but also don't think his skill set matches what we need with the OL we are rolling out. Mobility is going to be key for us - until and unless we get a new OL rotation. If Sims is not going to be healthy than I think we may need Pyron to "play at a sophomore level".

85Escape

Helluva Engineer

So can these guys really be that much different?
Or are we seeing the affect of their OL and scheme changes?

If the latter is the case it causes me to think that QBR is a terrible way to determine the potential of a QB, and is only good to put a metric on their current performance.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Offensively they are truly bad. I still think the healthy Sims led GT offense seen vs. Pitt would have beaten them soundly.
Our Offense against Pitt was not good, even with the win.
If you look at the stats for that game that was basically a game where GT won because it had 5 big plays that made the difference - and 3 of them were defensive.
Sims did not throw the ball well at all in that game (11-26, 102 yds).

This article explains that game well from an offensive standpoint
A run stuff rate of 41% is not good.

Half of GT's points in that game came from 3 drives that totaled 76 yds of offense. Without all the TO's and Stewart's fantastic FG kicking game GT loses.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Yeah, we spent years under Collins holding the offense up to the light, squinting at it, turning the picture sideways, trying to reframe it, all in an attempt to believe maybe the offense was getting better. It wasn’t and still hasn’t, no matter how badly we want to see improvement.

Even the worst offense can have brief flashes where a play clicks but the only way to tell if you are truly getting better is consistency. We are bad.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
Yeah, we spent years under Collins holding the offense up to the light, squinting at it, turning the picture sideways, trying to reframe it, all in an attempt to believe maybe the offense was getting better. It wasn’t and still hasn’t, no matter how badly we want to see improvement.

Even the worst offense can have brief flashes where a play clicks but the only way to tell if you are truly getting better is consistency. We are bad.
Zoom in on the OL and our major malfunction is readily apparent.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
Our Offense against Pitt was not good, even with the win.
If you look at the stats for that game that was basically a game where GT won because it had 5 big plays that made the difference - and 3 of them were defensive.
Sims did not throw the ball well at all in that game (11-26, 102 yds).

This article explains that game well from an offensive standpoint
A run stuff rate of 41% is not good.

Half of GT's points in that game came from 3 drives that totaled 76 yds of offense. Without all the TO's and Stewart's fantastic FG kicking game GT loses.
We had the turnovers but couldn’t capitalize, you don’t think we could have gotten ANY big plays vs. UVA with healthy Sims? It wouldn’t have taken a helluva lot to win the game.

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer

If the latter is the case it causes me to think that QBR is a terrible way to determine the potential of a QB, and is only good to put a metric on their current performance.
What does potential have to do with anything? College players careers are over in the blink of an eye especially with the portal. The only time potential is even a consideration is between the time they sign and the start of their sophomore year. It’s a win or lose sport. Potential no longer exists. Today it sounds like we will see Pyron at some point and folks will be freaking out if he looks bad or salivating if he looks good. But, we will either win or lose the game and potential means nothing. I remember the last game we played in Tally. Afterwards my son and I were singing praises for the future of GT football especially at the QB position. Well, we’ve seen how that has gone.

slugboy

Staff member
We had the turnovers but couldn’t capitalize, you don’t think we could have gotten ANY big plays vs. UVA with healthy Sims? It wouldn’t have taken a helluva lot to win the game.
It’s a good question. Or if Dontae Smith might have broken a tackle.
If I remember the stat right, about a third of our passes were at or behind the line of scrimmage. We were trying to get around the rush, but we’re not making blocks outside either. The problem is bigger than the OL—it’s poor blocking all across the offense.
With 10 days to prep, I thought we’d be better at that

AUFC

Helluva Engineer

You can't game theory/sabermetricize football stats. There are just too many variables so QBR is an awful metric for evaluating QB because it's too dependent on factors out of his control. Sims could be the best QB in the league if he were surrounded by the other 10 guys from Clemson.

I think we should let Sims rest today and let him come back 100% next week against VT. With this game being inter-division, we will still be nearly in control of our own destiny regardless of the result today. UNC loss to Pitt tonight would be nice. It's wholly realistic we can beat @VT, Miami, @UNC and get a shot (likely playing our best football of the season, if that happens) for the title in Charlotte at 6-6 (5-3), which would be very Coastal.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
You can't game theory/sabermetricize football stats. There are just too many variables so QBR is an awful metric for evaluating QB because it's too dependent on factors out of his control. Sims could be the best QB in the league if he were surrounded by the other 10 guys from Clemson.

I think we should let Sims rest today and let him come back 100% next week against VT. With this game being inter-division, we will still be nearly in control of our own destiny regardless of the result today. UNC loss to Pitt tonight would be nice. It's wholly realistic we can beat @VT, Miami, @UNC and get a shot (likely playing our best football of the season, if that happens) for the title in Charlotte at 6-6 (5-3), which would be very Coastal.
That's absolutely true, but it can work both ways. Interceptions can include passes that bounce right out of a receiver's breadbasket and into the wrong hands. But incompletions can include passes that are dropped squarely by the wrong hands, too - which Sims has been on the lucky end of this year. And, there's the incalculable effect of an awful OL. Stats are inferior measures compared to eyeball assessments, IMO. I would like to see what Sims could do behind a decent OL. We still don't yet know the answer to that.

I agree with you that Sims probably needs to sit this week. Unless he's at or near 100%, he just rests up for VPI. If he starts, he likely won't finish. Good point about the division race - it isn't over, and the game next week is both more crucial and more winnable. You try to win every game, but you also need to be realistic and have one eye down the road.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
QBR is a terrible way to determine the potential of a QB, and is only good to put a metric on their current performance.
QBR is pretty much B.S. all the way around if you ask me. Sometimes it seems reasonable but other times seems a complete absurdity. You can tell a lot more about a QB by just watching him play.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
Sims has been somewhat of a disappointment to me this year. I expected a higher level of performance in his third year. He is the best we have though. I would hope that Gibson will play better today if he is out there but he is going to get rushed on every snap and they will force him to beat them throwing the ball. We can't go run, run, pass on 3rd and win this game. Jenkins and Blackburn need to get the ball.