Jeff Sims Reset?

CPJacket

Georgia Tech Fan
For about 1 1/2 years I've honestly been done with Sims as a QB. He has not been a good QB from ball security to touch to accuracy. As a fan base we fell in love with him, in my opinion, because he was the first true non-option QB, and we've glossed over his very blatant shortcomings because we so desperately wanted him to succeed (me too). Week to week we saw no improvement. The thought, "that's why FSU let him go" came to mind. His play these last two weeks haven't totally changed my mind, but given how inspired the team has played, I'm inclined to give him a lil more grace as we find out how he takes to better coaching. I dont know if what he lacks can be fixed this late in. Either way we need some better talent in here at QB.

Hate to be a buzz kill. I am rejuvenated with the wins but I'm still looking at the big picture.

CPJacket

Georgia Tech Fan
I'd like to add that this is not an attack on Sims as a person. He's a Jacket and I want him to succeed b/c the team will succeed and he can change his entire life. Just my observations from the stands and couch.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
He has been late on getting throws out. He has thrown behind the receivers consistently.

Maybe having 3/4 speed practices up until a few weeks ago could cause a QB to be late and behind the receivers. Maybe practicing at full speed with full intensity, we will finally get to see Sim's full potential.

CPJacket

Georgia Tech Fan
Sims has potential to be a GREAT player. As long as he is accurate and continues to not throw picks, (yep continues bc he hasnt thrown one since the WCU game) he should be fine. The Duke game was the best game i've seen out of him.
This is his Jr year so it HAS to happen now. What you have described is the majority of what ANY QB has to do as a baseline. What he has demonstrated is arm strength and elusiveness- that's it. That alone a good QB doesn't make. Again, I hope he figures it out b/c the cupboard is bare, but longing for the switch to flip on is a bit late now. I hope I'm wrong.

Em_Jae20

Helluva Engineer
The difference in the progress our guys (coaches and players) have made since CGC was fired is such a dramatic difference I'm still inclined to give Jeff Sims the benefit of the doubt. Keeping Thacker on as our DC was questioned, and rightfully so, but we see how well our defense has played since CGC was set free. So I'll withhold judgment for a bit longer.

JacketFan137

Banned
Yes, as our QB. It's called context.

And it's funny how you cut that part out of my quote.
jeff sims isn’t above criticism and his play in some games has been poor (although i do think people ignore what his legs bring to the table far too often) but it’s just funny how your post begins with “i have been done with sims” and then you trash him and end with “not an attack on sims just observations here guys” just doesn’t add up here lol

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
I think the way for Sims to improve is easy: he has to run the ball more. As long as he sits back there and waits, he is indecisive. He needs to run. He has the size and the speed to become a real threat to our opponents. All he needs is coach who will use his real talents. We'll see if Long is that coach.

Update: I just checked. He's almost exactly the same size 96'4", 219) as Adrian Martinez (6'3", 225). It's about time he looked like him.

Last edited:

CEB

Helluva Engineer
This is his Jr year so it HAS to happen now. What you have described is the majority of what ANY QB has to do as a baseline. What he has demonstrated is arm strength and elusiveness- that's it. That alone a good QB doesn't make. Again, I hope he figures it out b/c the cupboard is bare, but longing for the switch to flip on is a bit late now. I hope I'm wrong.
It is his third year, but I believe he is Soph by eligibility. I am not sure how this affects your feelings on the matter, but he has two more years of eligibility.

kalld12

Banned
For about 1 1/2 years I've honestly been done with Sims as a QB. He has not been a good QB from ball security to touch to accuracy. As a fan base we fell in love with him, in my opinion, because he was the first true non-option QB, and we've glossed over his very blatant shortcomings because we so desperately wanted him to succeed (me too). Week to week we saw no improvement. The thought, "that's why FSU let him go" came to mind. His play these last two weeks haven't totally changed my mind, but given how inspired the team has played, I'm inclined to give him a lil more grace as we find out how he takes to better coaching. I dont know if what he lacks can be fixed this late in. Either way we need some better talent in here at QB.

Hate to be a buzz kill. I am rejuvenated with the wins but I'm still looking at the big picture.
He has the toolset to be a very good QB, but has lacked the consistency to be seen as taking the next step. We all see the flashes of greatness, but we need Sims to use his biggest asset ALOT more (his legs). If he can't find his receivers open after the first 2 or 3 reads he needs to either throw the ball away or tuck it and run. He opens the field up completely when he's aggressive and tucking the ball and running. In fact, were a completely different team when he does so and it makes it very tough for teams to prepare. His arm talent is there but his biggest kryptonite to date is still his accuracy and poor decisions. I still see way too many passes each game that "should" have been picked. When we play good teams, those balls are turnovers or returned to the house for a TD, those are game changers and have hurt us way too much in the past.

I still believe in Sims as he gives us the best chance to win, but we need to see consistency week to week. I'm pulling for him, lets keep it going Thursday night!

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
A. 'We need a great qb WHO CAN BEAT OUT SIMS to commit to gt because
1 ""we just want it""even though we are bottom of acc in donations.
2 our ol is marginal at best.
3 our wr are good at blocking and don't jump off sides. TE are a work in progress.
4. TFG gave a freshmen wr # 1 a year ago. He played first game in Duke game
and was best wr. Give him yime and hes a mandatory double team.

So imo, lets see Sims and #1 finish the year. I think it will click and sims will see field.

Limp to finish line and its fruit basket portal time for sims and others.

Sprint to finish and Sims and #1 may portal out tint to end, and some nil may want him more than we do.

So why is a star qb coming to gt unless 2,3 occur?

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
He’s a 3rd year sophomore.

CPJacket

Georgia Tech Fan
He’s a 3rd year sophomore.
Technically, b/c of COVID. I get it, but it doesn't change much. Years served counts more than time remaining to me if the needle isn't moving in his development. If anything it may prevent recruits from coming if they see a guy who's been the starter still here with more time to play and undying loyalty from the coaches.