Jeff Sims Reset?

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
FWIW, I think the OL we have is talented enough to hold their own, and given this year as a development year, should be markedly better next year. Constant tinkering with the transfer portal is where I think CGC made his first, of many, mistakes. We would have been better off letting the guys we recruited develop instead of chasing higher rated players that didn't catch significant PT at their original school.
Name a player you think would help our O line on the roster that playing time would have helped. Fusile, a 2nd year walk-on and Lay a 5th year walk on get major minutes. If you have been in the program 3 or more years and can’t beat walk ons you lack talent.

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
with the transfer portal, you cant expect a guy to hang around next year let alone 2-3 years from now. we dont even know if pyron will be here next year because of new coaches, or even lack of playing time this year. so putting him out there now or not doesnt really matter.
By throwing him out there you are ensuring he hits the portal. Hope is the only thing we have to keep some of our young players from leaving. Throw Pyron out there like we did Gibson and no way he comes back. What parent would want their freshman son thrown around like a rag doll in meaningless games under a lame duck staff and then return? I admit there is no good move going forward. Gibson was brought in to be that sacrificial lamb so let him earn the scholly by taking it for the Institute.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
FWIW, I think the OL we have is talented enough to hold their own, and given this year as a development year, should be markedly better next year. Constant tinkering with the transfer portal is where I think CGC made his first, of many, mistakes. We would have been better off letting the guys we recruited develop instead of chasing higher rated players that didn't catch significant PT at their original school.
If they're OL that didn't pan out elsewhere, you're probably right. I was hoping some savvy new HC could lure in or bring with him some of a higher caliber, but it's just a hope.

wrmathis

Ramblin' Wreck
By throwing him out there you are ensuring he hits the portal. Hope is the only thing we have to keep some of our young players from leaving. Throw Pyron out there like we did Gibson and no way he comes back. What parent would want their freshman son thrown around like a rag doll in meaningless games under a lame duck staff and then return? I admit there is no good move going forward. Gibson was brought in to be that sacrificial lamb so let him earn the scholly by taking it for the Institute.
and not giving him playing time when the options in front of him are garbage could easily make him want to transfer too. and hell, he could transfer just because a new coaching staff coming anyways.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Name a player you think would help our O line on the roster that playing time would have helped. Fusile, a 2nd year walk-on and Lay a 5th year walk on get major minutes. If you have been in the program 3 or more years and can’t beat walk ons you lack talent.

Tyler Gibson for one. Wing Green & Jakiah Leftwich have had some snaps. I'd like to see them get more. As for the last half of your post, it's quite possible that the walk-on has a lot of talent that wasn't identified in the recruiting process. It's pretty demeaning to assert that walk-ons can't be as talented as recruited players.

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
and not giving him playing time when the options in front of him are garbage could easily make him want to transfer too. and hell, he could transfer just because a new coaching staff coming anyways.
Could be, but I’m sure he knew this was a redshirt year especially with Sims. I just don’t see any benefit to playing him with our putrid OLine and an offensive system that is garbage and one he won’t be playing in next year. If a lame duck coach and OC plays him and he blows an ACL and misses the spring and all next season with a new staff then you just set GT football back even more. 2023 is gonna suck but at least we‘ll have hope. By 2024 we need a serviceable young QB and an OLine on the rise. The rest of the team will be fine.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
Tyler Gibson for one. Wing Green & Jakiah Leftwich have had some snaps. I'd like to see them get more. As for the last half of your post, it's quite possible that the walk-on has a lot of talent that wasn't identified in the recruiting process. It's pretty demeaning to assert that walk-ons can't be as talented as recruited players.
It’s not demeaning at all. Some walk ons made All Conference. Most make the Scout team. There are decades of data to support that.

Don’t you think if the guys you mentioned played better in practice than the guys who get actual game playing time they would play meaningful minutes in games?

Either Jey us a terrible O line coach or he simply lacks enough ACC level talent currently to have a decent O line. I don’t think he is a bad O line coach, do you?

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
Just because you don't see or hear him barking at people doesn't mean he isn't a leader.

Know this: Our biggest problem by a light year isn't our quarterback, it's our offensive line.
"Know this: Our biggest problem by a light year isn't our quarterback, its our offensive line." That is true this year, maybe last year, and quite possibly the year before that. An ongoing issue that never seems to be solved. FSU went through this back in the early 2000s or so and what was surprising, at least to my Florida friends who keep track of such things was how the cast of characters was always changing, the players and the coaches but the results were pretty mediocre on teams gifted in so many other areas. Line problems on offense and defense seem intractable and stubborn things to remedy.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
It’s not demeaning at all. Some walk ons made All Conference. Most make the Scout team. There are decades of data to support that.

Don’t you think if the guys you mentioned played better in practice than the guys who get actual game playing time they would play meaningful minutes in games?

Either Jey us a terrible O line coach or he simply lacks enough ACC level talent currently to have a decent O line. I don’t think he is a bad O line coach, do you?

I think CGC tried too hard to recruit portal transfers instead of actually letting Key recruit and develop an OL from scratch. It was the biggest headscratcher for me. CGC knew he had 2-3 seasons of grace from the administration and instead of using that time to develop in house he gambled on transfer portal home runs. As for those newer guys, some are seeing minutes. My point remains, I would rather see us press those talented young guys into the rotation to get game experience early to help develop them than continue to rely on transfer portal players.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer

Trying to remember and in Coach Johnson's era, the one most frequently mentioned was his very first center on as makeshift a line as can be imagined. Sean Bedford was a walk on defensive tackle that was moved to center in another of Coach Johnson's flashes of insight and played quite well. Austin Barrack, as I recall, was a tight end by trade and was moved to offensive tackle with serviceable results but I don't think he was a walk on, maybe he was. I don't know if Key is a good recruiter and a terrible coach or a poor judge of talent or what the problem is but it does not seem to be getting any better. Frustrating to us, damn near life threatening to Jeff and anyone else foolish enough to risk life and limb behind that line.

FlatsLander

Ramblin' Wreck
2 games didn't change my mind. Marcus M went what 12/13 last week against the niners. He is that good? One game yes. Or 2. Too much tape that says otherwise. He is a great guy to talk to. His moral belief system is on point. Not a good qb. Neither am i and the world will go on.
I think the fact that it was paired with the coaching change means something. It seemed to me like fcgc told Sims to take the path of least resistance every time to make sure he never got hurt. With CBK in charge, Sims was freed up to play like he should have all along.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
I think the fact that it was paired with the coaching change means something. It seemed to me like fcgc told Sims to take the path of least resistance every time to make sure he never got hurt. With CBK in charge, Sims was freed up to play like he should have all along.
Interesting speculation. And I kind of hope that’s true.

But it still doesn’t explain why we have one of the worst offenses in the ACC. I haven’t checked in a while but I believe we are dead last in red zone production.

FlatsLander

Ramblin' Wreck
Interesting speculation. And I kind of hope that’s true.

But it still doesn’t explain why we have one of the worst offenses in the ACC. I haven’t checked in a while but I believe we are dead last in red zone production.
I think that lies on the OL. Sims has shown he can execute to an acceptable level when the plays are there. We have playmakers at WR and RB. The plays just get blown up too often by the OL losing their battles. Especially in the UVA game, the DL just bull rushed every time after Gibson was in since they knew he couldn't run and pressuring him would really affect him (self-sacks).

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
I think that lies on the OL. Sims has shown he can execute to an acceptable level when the plays are there. We have playmakers at WR and RB. The plays just get blown up too often by the OL losing their battles. Especially in the UVA game, the DL just bull rushed every time after Gibson was in since they knew he couldn't run and pressuring him would really affect him (self-sacks).
The Uva nose tackle 90 dominated our center guards.
The 2 FSU dt are better than 90 uva.
Game Planning for a roll out pocket would be a good sign for our oc

GT33

Helluva Engineer
Trying to remember and in Coach Johnson's era, the one most frequently mentioned was his very first center on as makeshift a line as can be imagined. Sean Bedford was a walk on defensive tackle that was moved to center in another of Coach Johnson's flashes of insight and played quite well. Austin Barrack, as I recall, was a tight end by trade and was moved to offensive tackle with serviceable results but I don't think he was a walk on, maybe he was. I don't know if Key is a good recruiter and a terrible coach or a poor judge of talent or what the problem is but it does not seem to be getting any better. Frustrating to us, damn near life threatening to Jeff and anyone else foolish enough to risk life and limb behind that line.
People forget how bad Johnson’s first OL was. Few OL, fewer were skilled enough to handle the demands of complicated blocking schemes, but somehow they got it done and were a serviceable patchwork unit.

Didn’t take 3 years and if your only argument was it was easier to be successful in his scheme, why in hell are we trying to do something very hard with the wrong people now? Run an easy scheme the best you can and get the most out of it possible. Who in their right mind coaches to repeatedly stick a knife in your eye every play when there’s a much easier and demonstrated more successful option available?

Give yourself time to work S&C and recruit better as you go so you can look at least half competent.

My problem with Long is he’s doing the same damn thing. Along, slow developing plays leaving our QB to get slaughtered. Ball needs to be out of QB’s hands in 2 secs or less with our line. 2 reads, then run or throw or throw it away unless it’s crunch time.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
People forget how bad Johnson’s first OL was. Few OL, fewer were skilled enough to handle the demands of complicated blocking schemes, but somehow they got it done and were a serviceable patchwork unit.

Didn’t take 3 years and if your only argument was it was easier to be successful in his scheme, why in hell are we trying to do something very hard with the wrong people now? Run an easy scheme the best you can and get the most out of it possible. Who in their right mind coaches to repeatedly stick a knife in your eye every play when there’s a much easier and demonstrated more successful option available?

Give yourself time to work S&C and recruit better as you go so you can look at least half competent.

My problem with Long is he’s doing the same damn thing. Along, slow developing plays leaving our QB to get slaughtered. Ball needs to be out of QB’s hands in 2 secs or less with our line. 2 reads, then run or throw or throw it away unless it’s crunch time.
Two seconds? Are you sure he has that long?