Jared Ivey has entered the transfer portal

ScGold

Banned
The reason why he didn't want to be here might be our problem.
Could be or could be he got hit up by another school and was promised $$ to transfer and took the bait. Could also be he is tired of losing and is not committed to the program and helping it change the outcome.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
Could be or could be he got hit up by another school and was promised $$ to transfer and took the bait. Could also be he is tired of losing and is not committed to the program and helping it change the outcome.
Or it could be he's tired of the same old same old bs and bad coaching.

jojatk

Helluva Engineer
It’s not good to lose a good football player. Ivey is a good football player. We may be able to replace his production with someone else but I’d sure rather have his talent in a GT uniform next season. I will say, however, that if you (generic ”you”) didn’t expect some attrition of some good football players after a 3rd year in a row of only winning 3 games then you really weren’t being realistic.

Don’t take this an an indictment of the program in any way other than the fact that we’ve been a bad team. That’s bad enough I’m just saying that losing a couple of good players (maybe even another one or two could go, who knows) isn’t, to me, indicating anything deeper than we’re a bad team. I don’t think there’s something systemic in terms of players being treated badly or things like that. We’re just a bad team and kids will see other opportunities to be in a winning organization. It’s hard for me to blame them.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
That's good! You are probably more right than I would readily admit. That said, I wonder how many of our returning players, including the portal departures, would be starters for any other ACC team save Duke?
Not many, but they're starters for us, so how does losing them not hurt? They all would have been a year older and hopefully better next season.
Also, I'm convinced most of these guys are better than the sum of their parts under this coaching staff.

ScGold

Banned
Look at how 4 and 5* kids that just left the college football national champs. Are they going to better programs? He is leaving because he is getting paid to leave.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Not many, but they're starters for us, so how does losing them not hurt? They all would have been a year older and hopefully better next season.
Also, I'm convinced most of these guys are better than the sum of their parts under this coaching staff.
I agree, but sometimes the hand ringing over departures seems overdone. There are a ton of reasons why guys might leave GT, the least of them could be the academic rigor required to stay in good standing. On top of playing football and having an occasional peek at a social life.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member

I agree, but sometimes the hand ringing over departures seems overdone. There are a ton of reasons why guys might leave GT, the least of them could be the academic rigor required to stay in good standing. On top of playing football and having an occasional peek at a social life.

1. Losing Ivey hurts. There is no doubt about that. The question is how bad?
2. My gut says we don't have a guy that good ready to step in right now, but I may well be wrong, because...
3. A few years ago our starting QB transferred out and we all thought our season was doomed, but then JeT took the wheel and drove us to an Orange Bowl championship.

In the end, he's gone, and no amount of handwringing changes that. It has to be simply next man up and let's hope he gets good quickly.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
Look at how 4 and 5* kids that just left the college football national champs. Are they going to better programs? He is leaving because he is getting paid to leave.
Aren't a lot of those losses guys who didn't see the field much? Most of their rosters are made up of 4 and 5*, even the backups. It's not relevant to us and our situation.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
I know we have a lot of headwinds against us, but bad coaching is the worst of them. One more year...

CEB

Helluva Engineer
Yep. I have felt that for 3 or 4 years, a little more each year. Georgia and Alabama can have their own private party every year while the rest of the country spends more and more time reading books about a game that used to be. 😊
I am hopeful that what we’ve seen is the product of a perfect storm created by the easy transfer ability of the portal, the possible applications of NIL and mostly the newness of both. Not optimistic, but hopeful.
Some of the potentially good;
- smaller P5 programs have long complained that the likes of Bama, OSU, UGA, Clemson, etc stockpile talent in their 2-deep / 3-deep that would start elsewhere. Ease of transfer without loss of eligibility should “spread the wealth.”
- after the initial fervor of NIL pay for play, kids still have to be happy where they are. No amount of money is worth working for a bad boss in a place you hate. If kids arent happy, they’ll leave. Not wishing ill will or bad decisions on any 18 year old kid but some will become cautionary tales and temper this a bit. I also hope a handful of “busts” cause some alumni to rethink their investments in NIL schemes.
- there will no doubt be some Gibbs scenarios where a kid is good enough to really upgrade his prospects through the portal, but I think it will go the other way a lot more. I think the big schools will still focus on getting and developing / retaining talent more than poaching it. Smaller schools will benefit from their attrition.
I think we’re feeling the sting of this pretty acutely because of our recent performance and the fact that we fell victim to possibly the highest profile loss of the portal so far. Just when we’re coming to peace with it, Ivey departs. We won’t suffer such attrition every year and these things may not turn out to be as bad as they initially seem... but from our perspective right now, not much looks promising.
More good news... if I am totally wrong about all of this and it IS as bad as we think, college football as we know it is over and theres not much we could’ve done to save it anyway.

JacketFan137

Banned
Any player we lose wasn’t that good to begin with but any player we pick up will be a huge talent for us. 😊
in 17 career games for us ivey has 1.5 career sacks and 7 tackles for loss.

he was a solid player but acting like this is irreplaceable production is a stretch. not like he was some massive disruptive force on a unit that frankly has underproduced at tech for the last 2 decades.

college football attrition is just part of the game. you dont have to go back too far to see guys that were thought to be studs leaving and the back up doing more than enough to replace them.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
In case you have not noticed, we have one of the worst defenses in college football. Not sure we have anyone on that side of the ball that would be greatly missed.

Go Jackets!
In other words, we can't fall too far because we're already near the bottom.
The problem with that logic is that we can't climb out of the hole losing our best players.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
GTSwarm: It takes years for these guys to develop and start making significant contributions.

Also GTSwarm: He hasn't contributed much in his first couple of years. No big loss.
It does take years, and Ivey was probably on the cusp of coming into his own.

I can imagine how different the reaction would be if he were coming instead of going.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
Sorry things didn't work out for him at Tech. I thought he was a key component to this year's defense. His departure leads to a more general question.
Is he still enrolled in school and on scholarship. I have read that once a kid enters the portal the school does not have to honor their scholarship. I would think he can not transfer to another school this late in January. If the semester has started and he is still enrolled at Tech wouldn't his tuition and books likely have been paid.
I would think he has left school but just a hunch.
Entering the portal now beats the February signing date while recruiting is still churning.