Jared Ivey has entered the transfer portal

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Safe to say Collins 2020 class was a bust. Sims inconsistent, Gibbs gone, Ivey Gone. Those were 3 of the highest rated recruits Tech has signed in the modern era.
And though I think your comment is a little harsh you are getting at something I have harped on multiple times. You don’t get style points in football for getting highly ranked players. In the end all that matters about a recruiting class is did they stay in the program, did they see the field, and did they contribute to a winning season? If you can’t answer those affirmatively then nothing was accomplished.

But I’m still waiting to see if any of these recruiting classes pan out. I will reserve judgment until we see how the season plays out.

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
And though I think your comment is a little harsh you are getting at something I have harped on multiple times. You don’t get style points in football for getting highly ranked players. In the end all that matters about a recruiting class is did they stay in the program, did they see the field, and did they contribute to a winning season? If you can’t answer those affirmatively then nothing was accomplished.

But I’m still waiting to see if any of these recruiting classes pan out. I will reserve judgment until we see how the season plays out.
I think it is fair to pass judgement on the performance so far AND still reserve judgement about whether history will continue to repeat. History usually teaches us though that it does repeat itself. In other words, the first 3 sequels will usually tell you what to expect in the 4th. I hope to be pleasantly surprised.

JacketFan137

Banned
Safe to say Collins 2020 class was a bust. Sims inconsistent, Gibbs gone, Ivey Gone. Those were 3 of the highest rated recruits Tech has signed in the modern era.
considering that class has 3 years of eligibility left i think calling it a bust is a little bit premature.

sucks to lose gibbs and now ivey but this reads like someone who’s mind was made up before any of this happened lol

JacketFan137

Banned
he’s a tough player to evaluate cause he was kind of in between an edge rusher and an interior guy. didn’t have the ability or the body to do either to the full extent but i do think he had a lot of potential.

this is extremely late in the cycle so i think something was said about playing time next year or an incoming transfer is lined up.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Yeah, not a real positive spin to put on this one. Since I saw his HS film I thought he would eventually be an NFL caliber DE if developed the right way. Size, length, athleticism, explosiveness.

I understood why Gibbs went elsewhere, not sure why Ivey is. Ivey is probably top 1-3 defensive talent for us...well, now for someone else.

JacketFan137

Banned
Yeah, not a real positive spin to put on this one. Since I saw his HS film I thought he would eventually be an NFL caliber DE if developed the right way. Size, length, athleticism, explosiveness.

I understood why Gibbs went elsewhere, not sure why Ivey is. Ivey is probably top 1-3 defensive talent for us...well, now for someone else.
i think he had potential to be that but the reality is the actual on field production for him was never there

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
Safe to say it's way too early for such a statement. That class is entering their 3rd year at Tech.

Miles Brooks - Probable starter. Coming into his own as last season progressed. I see big things for him.
Nate McCollum - Probable starter at slot.
Ryan King - Showed good promise last year.
Jordan Williams - Entering 3rd year as a starter
Paula Vaipulu - Probable starter, started several games last year

Many of the other guys Franks, Kennard, Robinson, Stone, Ward, and Huff look to be major contributors.

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
I would have thought Brooks would have made more of an impact at this point as well. We also lost Rankins, one of our top OL recruits. That class does seem to be souring over time. I'm sure some of the guys will turn into solid contributors eventually but overall its a bit of a disappointment.

JacketFan137

Banned
Safe to say it's way too early for such a statement. That class is entering their 3rd year at Tech.

Miles Brooks - Probable starter. Coming into his own as last season progressed. I see big things for him.

Many of the other guys Franks, Kennard, Robinson, Stone, Ward, and Huff look to be major contributors.
would also just add jeff sims potential has been flashed and it’s within the range of outcomes that he is able to replicate the UNC game. i think people don’t realize that a guy like tua, trevor lawrence, caleb williams etc are the rare exceptions of immediate impact QBs.

with a new OC, any improvement on the line, and some steady improvement from
sims (which we did see year 1 to 2 statistically) i think he could be really good and a solid qb starter alone would outweigh anything else in the recruiting class

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
would also just add jeff sims potential has been flashed and it’s within the range of outcomes that he is able to replicate the UNC game. i think people don’t realize that a guy like tua, trevor lawrence, caleb williams etc are the rare exceptions of immediate impact QBs.

with a new OC, any improvement on the line, and some steady improvement from
sims (which we did see year 1 to 2 statistically) i think he could be really good and a solid qb starter alone would outweigh anything else in the recruiting class
Agree 100%. I'm very high on Jeff Sims. That was a given to me. Just read some of my previous comments about this young man.

JacketFan137

Banned
Agree 100%. I'm very high on Jeff Sims. That was a given to me. Just read some of my previous comments about this young man.
based on the way some people talk about him around here you can never be too sure haha we really had people wanting us to go a different direction at the QB position for most of the season

i’m expecting a lot of people to eat some crow about him this next season.

Sheboygan

Helluva Engineer
Well, truth be told, he may not find that the grass is greener at another school, especially Power 5 conferences. Wish him all the best however, and sometimes it is best to move on. But there are still plenty of guys that went into the portal and have been in there a while waiting for the right school to come along.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
based on the way some people talk about him around here you can never be too sure haha we really had people wanting us to go a different direction at the QB position for most of the season

Sims is still the most physically talented QB on our roster. May be the most physically gifted QB we've had since Donnie Davis.

Hopefully he can put it all together because you see flashes of his immense skillset and physical tools.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
i think he had potential to be that but the reality is the actual on field production for him was never there

IMO, he certainly should have been more productive. But he's young, and still needs to gain strength...and that falls on and S&C program. The raw physical tools are there.

I think he'll end up in the NFL. We'll see in a few years.

JacketFan137

Banned
IMO, he certainly should have been more productive. But he's young, and still needs to gain strength...and that falls on and S&C program. The raw physical tools are there.

I think he'll end up in the NFL. We'll see in a few years.
yeah i think he can but honestly i don’t expect him to end up in a p5 school. the portal doesn’t always seem to have a guaranteed way out to a better team

Sims is still the most physically talented QB on our roster. May be the most physically gifted QB we've had since Donnie Davis.

Hopefully he can put it all together because you see flashes of his immense skillset and physical tools.

name i havent heard in a while but i agree. long seems all in on him so hopefully we see an offense catered to that. seemed like patenaude made his offense around pieces he didn’t have

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer

I was an early supporter of Sims but I am much more cautious now about how he will develop. But I will gladly eat crow with relish. 😊

okiemon

Helluva Engineer
Was Ivey a really high 3*/ almost 4*? I ask because I don’t know, and if “just” a 3-star I don’t think I’d consider him one of the highest-rated Tech recruits in the modern era.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Was Ivey a really high 3*/ almost 4*? I ask because I don’t know, and if “just” a 3-star I don’t think I’d consider him one of the highest-rated Tech recruits in the modern era.
He was ranked a 4 by some services and was considered a top prospect both at the state level and nationally. Tech PR department made a big deal over him.

alagold

Helluva Engineer

FB,
They all could be contributors but just being a starter really only goes so far.If you are a starter on a 3-9 team exactly what does that mean? I think you can look at every starter last yr and say MANY were below average P5 players.