Jared Ivey has entered the transfer portal

Techster

Helluva Engineer
yeah i think he can but honestly i don’t expect him to end up in a p5 school. the portal doesn’t always seem to have a guaranteed way out to a better team

Ole Miss, West Virginia, Rutgers, USCw have already reached out. He's going to a P5 school.

Ivey is 6'6, was all region in basketball, and has the length and athleticism defenses are emphasizing in edge rushers. He's going to get a lot of attention from a lot of schools.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Hearing several rumors that some schools in MS are bidding for him - I mean the NIL way. The rumor is Ole Miss or Jackson St.

I am telling you - GT boosters better get ready to ante up, or we are going to stay insignificant in CB for the foreseeable future.

Lot of smoke on the internet about Ole Miss and Ivey.

SteamWhistle

Helluva Engineer
The point of my OP was that Collins one achievement, recruiting the 2nd highest ranked Tech class ever. (2020) Has so far not paid dividends, and is a direct reflection that the lack of success on the field could be a direct result of his recruiting. Yes his class was higher, but were the recruits true fits for the program?

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
The point of my OP was that Collins one achievement, recruiting the 2nd highest ranked Tech class ever. (2020) Has so far not paid dividends, and is a direct reflection that the lack of success on the field could be a direct result of his recruiting. Yes his class was higher, but were the recruits true fits for the program?
I understand your OP point, but do we think he even has a "defined" program, other than catchphrases like effort, competition is king, etc.? I have never really fully understood his "program" definition. To me, he seems like a salesman without a well defined product. But, what do I know?

augustabuzz

Helluva Engineer
he’s a tough player to evaluate cause he was kind of in between an edge rusher and an interior guy. didn’t have the ability or the body to do either to the full extent but i do think he had a lot of potential.

this is extremely late in the cycle so i think something was said about playing time next year or an incoming transfer is lined up.
He was not a 3-tech.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
FB,
They all could be contributors but just being a starter really only goes so far.If you are a starter on a 3-9 team exactly what does that mean? I think you can look at every starter last yr and say MANY were below average P5 players.
Um, no, I couldn't. I think every starter was at least an average P5 player and many were above average. I think our performance had to do with how we performed as a team and how many of our "starters" were really 2nd or 3rd teamers. Those I listed are above average, in my opinion. Key injuries and coaching issues (which I think we've addressed) played a huge part in our record last year.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
As many have commented, too early to throw the towel in yet. It may turn out that way or it may go the other way. No way to predict. Today's portal and the immediate playing time is going to change the way recruiting (HS and transfer) is going to be forever. Can't look at yesterday's class and say they're a bust. Have to look at classes overall (transfers in and transfers out) and assess them year over year.

JacketFan137

Banned
As many have commented, too early to throw the towel in yet. It may turn out that way or it may go the other way. No way to predict. Today's portal and the immediate playing time is going to change the way recruiting (HS and transfer) is going to be forever. Can't look at yesterday's class and say they're a bust. Have to look at classes overall (transfers in and transfers out) and assess them year over year.
the portal is so big because how many great players would have likely dipped out of tech in the last 20 years. demaryius and calvin would have for sure been gone quick

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*

Lol this is a horrible take

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
He was the 4th highest rated recruit in the 2020 class for GT at 247sports and the 7th highest rated at rivals.

He started all 11 games he played in and was 3rd on the team in TFL.
Definitely a tough loss as we are losing one of our more disruptive defensive players and a consistent starter with alot more upside.
On a team that struggled all season to get any disruptive play out of its front four that hurts.

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
I thought gibbs was a big deal but since Ivey was my wife's favorite, within my family structure; this really sucks.

If cgc and guys do the next man up, I will be impressed. Maybe White will be healthy or lockhart can step up

Josh Robinson is solid but Ivey as an upperclassman for a defense trying to right the ship after being historically bad is massive