Jared Ivey has entered the transfer portal

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
1. Losing Ivey hurts. There is no doubt about that. The question is how bad?
2. My gut says we don't have a guy that good ready to step in right now, but I may well be wrong, because...
3. A few years ago our starting QB transferred out and we all thought our season was doomed, but then JeT took the wheel and drove us to an Orange Bowl championship.

In the end, he's gone, and no amount of handwringing changes that. It has to be simply next man up and let's hope he gets good quickly.
Well....he's not gone yet. Griffin was in the Portal and came back. I highly doubt any others that go into the portal stay at GT, but he's not gone yet unless he's dropped classes and has matriculated to another school.

As to those who think it's weird timing, we'll GT is on the hook for the Spring Semester for his scholarship. If he went into the portal before the beginning of the Spring Semester, he would being paying his own school while looking at other schools. I'm not saying this is why it's a late entry.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
I am hopeful that what we’ve seen is the product of a perfect storm created by the easy transfer ability of the portal, the possible applications of NIL and mostly the newness of both. Not optimistic, but hopeful.
Some of the potentially good;
- smaller P5 programs have long complained that the likes of Bama, OSU, UGA, Clemson, etc stockpile talent in their 2-deep / 3-deep that would start elsewhere. Ease of transfer without loss of eligibility should “spread the wealth.”
- after the initial fervor of NIL pay for play, kids still have to be happy where they are. No amount of money is worth working for a bad boss in a place you hate. If kids arent happy, they’ll leave. Not wishing ill will or bad decisions on any 18 year old kid but some will become cautionary tales and temper this a bit. I also hope a handful of “busts” cause some alumni to rethink their investments in NIL schemes.
- there will no doubt be some Gibbs scenarios where a kid is good enough to really upgrade his prospects through the portal, but I think it will go the other way a lot more. I think the big schools will still focus on getting and developing / retaining talent more than poaching it. Smaller schools will benefit from their attrition.
I think we’re feeling the sting of this pretty acutely because of our recent performance and the fact that we fell victim to possibly the highest profile loss of the portal so far. Just when we’re coming to peace with it, Ivey departs. We won’t suffer such attrition every year and these things may not turn out to be as bad as they initially seem... but from our perspective right now, not much looks promising.
More good news... if I am totally wrong about all of this and it IS as bad as we think, college football as we know it is over and theres not much we could’ve done to save it anyway.
Your optimism does you credit...do I agree that we will benefit at the expense of the elite factories? Not for a minute. The rich will get richer and the 100 or so bottom feeders will see a gap widen between them and the two dozen football factories. IIWII

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Well....he's not gone yet. Griffin was in the Portal and came back. I highly doubt any others that go into the portal stay at GT, but he's not gone yet unless he's dropped classes and has matriculated to another school.

As to those who think it's weird timing, we'll GT is on the hook for the Spring Semester for his scholarship. If he went into the portal before the beginning of the Spring Semester, he would being paying his own school while looking at other schools. I'm not saying this is why it's a late entry.

He's gone. There's an SEC NIL deal waiting on him.

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
GTSwarm: It takes years for these guys to develop and start making significant contributions.

Also GTSwarm: He hasn't contributed much in his first couple of years. No big loss.

Lol exactly!

Ivey is a SDE. Sacks won’t be high just from that standpoint, but Ivey was very good vs the run & pass. AND HE’S A SOPHOMORE!!!! This should be the year he take a jump in performance

GoldZ

Ramblin' Wreck
That's good! You are probably more right than I would readily admit. That said, I wonder how many of our returning players, including the portal departures, would be starters for any other ACC team save Duke?
How many of our incoming portals would start for any ACC school? The TE from Cuse maybe?

ScGold

Banned
Sorry things didn't work out for him at Tech. I thought he was a key component to this year's defense. His departure leads to a more general question.
Is he still enrolled in school and on scholarship. I have read that once a kid enters the portal the school does not have to honor their scholarship. I would think he can not transfer to another school this late in January. If the semester has started and he is still enrolled at Tech wouldn't his tuition and books likely have been paid.
I would think he has left school but just a hunch.
Entering the portal now beats the February signing date while recruiting is still churning.
He is working on getting to ole miss adap.

sgreer

Jolly Good Fellow
I don’t understand why it took him this long to transfer. If he did not want to be here he should have left after the last game.

SteamWhistle

Helluva Engineer
Lane Kiffin and Ivey posted a picture in an Ashton Martin lmao we are getting bent over ever way possible by the NIL. Collins really thought a 3-9 team would attract sponsors from Atlanta unless some boosters pony up Tech won’t win 5 games regardless who is coaching.

Tech93

Helluva Engineer
College football has been another casualty of the “COVID policies”. Remember the good ole days bc it’s not changing back.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
College football circa. Players transfer by the dozens. Some good ones leave every program and some good ones transfer into ever program. For now it’s the new normal. Getting all torqued up over any particular playing is a waste of effort. Even if we win 10 games next year, very unlikely, we will have several transfers after the season.

Buzztheirazz

Helluva Engineer
College football is losing its luster by the day.

Crap like that tweet may be a major reason why in 5 years, I will not be interested in something that’s been a major part of my life for 25 years.

Unless it’s Collins(or our future coach) sitting in a Lambo with a 5*.