Ireland

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
I'm excited - finally have lodging at Grand Canal Hotel/ 5 minute walk to the stadium. No need to rent a car and have a 5 day tailgate in the parking lot. Now I can have a five day tailgate in every pub I can stagger to
Not sure if the pubs still close early, like 11ish, but if they do, cosey up to a fine Irish lass and find out where the not-so-legal after hours bars are.

FatPat

Jolly Good Fellow
Buzz- lets hook up, gonna be a great ride-- especially after a huge win.... I feel like I'm getting on the shuttle with Bruce Willis in Armageddon!! But BC is the meteor!

IMGT83

Georgia Tech Fan
THWG.

First post on this forum. Have finalized my trip particulars. Missed the great Delta fares early this year, so my convoluted trip on Delta is through Philly to Dublin - $1,100 total RT. Leaving Sunday Aug 28 and returning the following Sunday, Sept 4. I'm staying at The Grand Hotel in Malahide just outside Dublin for 6 nights (about $1,200). My company used to own a chemical manufacturing plant in Swords (also just outside Dublin) and we always stayed at The Grand. Right on the coast. Gorgeous place. Taking my golf clubs and will play 2-3 days with a good friend. If not for golf, would venture out to some of the places mentioned in this Forum post. Haven't decided on whether to rent a car or not. Taxi to Malahide is always an option, carrying around golf clubs and a bag is a PITA.

This is a trip just for me, although I have 2 game tickets. Looking at the pics, Aviva Stadium looks pretty nice. Got 2 tix in Row B in Sec 504 (around the 40 yd line).

Al
Atlanta

biggtfan

Jolly Good Fellow
Just a PSA for the group. If you still havnt purchased your airfare for this trip most airlines dropped prices this week. As of this posting you can fly either United or British airways for less than $700 R/T.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
These types of games scare me because they're almost like bowl games. You never know where the players heads are going to be when they travel somewhere like this and have all sorts of events planned and such. I really hope we're focused, because losing to another team that went 3-9 last year would not be a good way to start the season.

UK Jacket

Georgia Tech Fan
Who's planning on going and what's your itinerary/plans?

Any recommendations from those that have been?

Hi All

I'm a UK fan from the North of England and I'll be travelling to Dublin for the game this year, so firstly I just thought I'd like to make the acquaintance of GT fans coming across for the game, and also offer a few little insights based on my previous trip to Ireland for a college game two years ago (Penn State v UCF)
So... 'hi'! I'm very much looking forward to meeting as many tech fans as I can over in Dublin later in the year.
Regarding your trip, although I know many of you will have already had to make arrangements by now, hopefully I can enlighten you a little about Dublin. Firstly, compared to the greater Metro area of Atlanta, Dublin is pretty well contained. Many attractions are in walking distance from one another in the city centre, those that aren't, are usually just a tram, bus, or DART (rapid transit) ride away. If you're planning on going outside of the city you may be hiring a car, otherwise public transport or walking should do you. Taxi fares seemed pretty reasonable too.

The city is divided by the River Liffey into North Side and South Side, with the significant majority of city centre shopping and attractions (including the 'Welcome Village' at Trinity College and the Aviva Stadium itself) being found on the South Side. If you have still yet to book a hotel or B&B and are wanting to be near to the stadium for your stay, look around the Grand Canal Basin, Ringsend, Ballsbridge or Docklands areas. For the PS-UCF game we actually stayed right near Aviva in an apartment at Ringsend. It was a lovely apartment and well positioned in a really nice area. (Although ironically miles away from Croke Park, where that years game was actually taking place!) I'm at Grand Canal Basin this time around, so pretty much same area and the stadium only a 15 minute walk, but still easy access to the Centre.

For those who prefer a location closer to the heart of the city (which in truth is only a few miles from Aviva anyway) there are loads of good quality hotels and guest houses (B&B's) all over the centre, including on the North side too. On a recent (non football related) visit to the city I actually stayed at the Jury's Inn Parnell Street on Northside, but that was still only a 5 minute walk to the South across the bridge and into Temple Bar.

Talking of which, for those of you who like a drink or two, or twenty!! ;) Temple Bar, of course, is the famous eating and drinking district of the city, with literally hundreds of bars, pubs and restaurants to choose from. I understand that each team will be offered 'designated home pubs' so that liked mind supporters can mingle with each other. As already mentioned, Trinity College Campus is going to be hosting all of the activity in the week building up to the game, including pep rally's parades and tailgating. This is just a few minutes walk from Temple Bar, and a short DART ride to the stadium, so the atmosphere in the town on game week/day should be brilliant! It certainly was for the last game. On the subject of 'tailgating' as I shouldn't imagine there will be many from either GA or MA arriving in RV's, I'd prepare yourselves for a slightly 'different tailgate experience'. Although I'm sure it will still be great fun.

For tourist attractions in the city personally speaking:
MUST SEE: Kilmainham Jail, Cathedrals, Trinity College Library, Dublinia Exhibition.
AVOID: Guiness Storehouse and Jameson Distillery (Basically they're just factories with an expensive gift shop!)

Anyway, I'll get outa here for now. But hope to see some of you in just a few months time, for the big game.

All the best.

Go Jackets!

JacketFromUGA

Helluva Engineer
http://www.thejournal.ie/american-football-2813763-Jun2016/?utm_source=shortlink

A HIGH-PROFILE college American football game between Boston College and Georgia Tech at Dublin’s Aviva Stadium, which organisers say is worth more than €50 million to the local economy, could be in jeopardy if administrative deadlines are not met.

The game is under threat due to sanctioning problems.

Under Irish regulations, the recognised National Governing Body (NGB) is responsible for sanctioning all competitive fixtures in their code held in the country. If, for example, Barcelona and Real Madrid wanted to play a league game in Croke Park, the FAI would have to sanction the event.

The Irish Sports Council recognises the Irish American Football Association (IAFA) as American football’s NGB.

However, it appears that a claim for legal fees incurred by the IAFA have not been paid back by the company running the game – Irish American Events Limited. The IAFA has set a deadline of this Thursday for those fees, alleged to be around €11,500 + VAT, to be paid or it will refuse to sanction the game.

deeeznutz

Helluva Engineer
Wow what a kick in the nuts that'd be! I sure hope the officials are able to work it out and the game goes off without a hitch. I have been stoked about this game even before it was official (can't actually go but still excited to watch it on tv), I'd hate to have it blown up from some dumb administrative issue. On the flip side, if it does get cancelled I'll actually be able to attend...what a dilemma.

Does anyone really think that either GT or BC would let this blow up over approximately $12k? Bottom line, this is extortion. It happens all the time, it just doesn't usually make it to the papers.
Hope you're right. One would also think that whatever the equivalent organization to the Chamber of Commerce is in Dublin would not turn off 20,000 American tourists.

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
If the game did not go off, which I think it will, imagine how bad it would impact recruiting for the next few years. Our would it be for the last few years?

Oh well, no matter. By this time next month 1/2 of all Americans will be on a no fly list. :eek: