IMO reason for our troubles!

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
It should also be based on their prior in game performance. If a guy does well during the game, it should earn him more opportunities in the following games. Same goes the other way, if you aren't getting it done during the game, then you shouldn't have a stranglehold on the position.
Like putting the ball on the ground? Btw, I wouldn't say Skov has a stranglehold on the position, all three back have gotten opportunities. Coach has really liked what Marcus Allen had done on the field, but he can't stay healthy.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
Like putting the ball on the ground? Btw, I wouldn't say Skov has a stranglehold on the position, all three back have gotten opportunities. Coach has really liked what Marcus Allen had done on the field, but he can't stay healthy.

You mean that thing that each has done once? Or how about running for sub 4 ypc in back to back games of 18 and 19 carries?

Also Skov has 3 times the carries of Marshall total and over 6 times the last two games. That's not even to compare to Allen. Hell against ND he puts the ball on the ground and ran the completely wrong way on back to back plays. He didn't miss a snap, much less a series. Going by the carries the last two games, Skov is on pace for 208 carries during the regular season to Marshall's 44. How's that not a stranglehold on the position?

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
You mean that thing that each has done once? Or how about running for sub 4 ypc in back to back games of 18 and 19 carries?

Also Skov has 3 times the carries of Marshall total and over 6 times the last two games. That's not even to compare to Allen. Hell against ND he puts the ball on the ground and ran the completely wrong way on back to back plays. He didn't miss a snap, much less a series. Going by the carries the last two games, Skov is on pace for 208 carries during the regular season to Marshall's 44. How's that not a stranglehold on the position?
Again, we don't see practice. If I was a coach and one of my rb's was putting it on the ground left and right in practice, hypothetically, I damn sure wouldn't put him in games til he got that straightened out.

If MM had done something special with the limited reps he got in the last two games, you can bet your sweet arse he would have stayed in and probably moved to the top of the depth chart. When he got his shot against big boy defenses, he wasn't any more effective than Skov, so coach put the guy he felt better about back in. Simple as that.

Bogey

Helluva Engineer
Assuming you're right, you're right. However, an alternative perspective is that you always play the people you feel will give you the best chance to win that game, not sacrifice today's game for future games.
I remember that we started winning more when Laskey got hurt, and Synjyn started and showed some cutting ability once he got thru the LOS. And when Laskey came back, he picked up on Synjyn's success. Unfortunately, this year our b backs are getting creamed at the LOS most plays.

Declinometer

Banned
I remember that we started winning more when Laskey got hurt, and Synjyn started and showed some cutting ability once he got thru the LOS. And when Laskey came back, he picked up on Synjyn's success. Unfortunately, this year our b backs are getting creamed at the LOS most plays.
"Lasley picked up on Synjyn's success".
How polite of Synjyn to allow this.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
If MM had done something special with the limited reps he got in the last two games, you can bet your sweet arse he would have stayed in and probably moved to the top of the depth chart. When he got his shot against big boy defenses, he wasn't any more effective than Skov, so coach put the guy he felt better about back in. Simple as that.

His shot? What shot? He had one carry against ND. Against Duke he had one carry, on a 4th and 3 against a D stacking against the interior run, then sat for 4 drives before getting his second shot token carry before Allen came in. Face it, Skov is getting more series on the field than any other back is getting carries. Acting like either Allen or Marshall has gotten anything close to a legit shot these past 2 games is a joke.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
We lost the ball because we picked up a yard and a half on a 4th and 3, same reason we lost it later in the game. It wasn't a fumble for the same reason the Thomas fumble last year shouldn't have been. Forward progress stopped.

YES. It is true it was 4th and 2. The point is, THE BALL CAME OUT.........AGAIN! The game situation (4th down) dictates "no harm no foul" but the ball came out. FWIW the ball should have been spotted where the recovery happened which may have been all of 1/2 yard from the point his forward progress was stopped, but it wasn't even recognized as a fumble. My entire point was, in less than 5 carries he committed ANOTHER fumble. He is just simply losing the ball too much right now and he must fix it. I'll leave it to the rest of us to do the math on our own. Divide the total number of carries he has had to this point by the number of times he has lost control of the football. Then decide whether you want him to continue carrying the football for us with that same rate going forward. In my mind it is an obvious "no". He has to fix the fumbles in order to keep getting the ball the majority of times in his position group. I think he has already show he has the most potential. There just has to be a little more trust built up that the offense will see another play after he carries.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
FWIW the ball should have been spotted where the recovery happened which may have been all of 1/2 yard from the point his forward progress was stopped, but it wasn't even recognized as a fumble.

That's because it wasn't a fumble. You said yourself that his forward progress was stopped, and had been long before the ball popped out. It's why the refs ruled him down. It's why it wasn't a fumble. The ball came out.... after the play was over. When it doesn't matter. When it isn't a fumble.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
That's because it wasn't a fumble. You said yourself that his forward progress was stopped, and had been long before the ball popped out. It's why the refs ruled him down. It's why it wasn't a fumble. The ball came out.... after the play was over. When it doesn't matter. When it isn't a fumble.
I don't think the play was over. I think they missed it.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
You can think what you want. His forward progress was stopped, and had been for a while before the ball came out. By rule, the ball was dead and that isn't a fumble.
Even if you are right, and I am blind, after watching several replays, we cannot have the ball coming out there. There is no solace, none. There is no solace for JT in last year's UGAg game either, even though that one was a bad call (IMHO). The kid has to hang on to the ball and protect it and not count on the refs to err in his favor. I hope, at least in that much, we can agree. There is no future in fumbles, whether before or after the whistle.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned

And maybe both of them were able to benefit in improved line play and perimeter blocking as the season progressed.

stingyoa$$

Jolly Good Fellow
Is MM physical enough to play BB? PJ has mentioned a few times he has to get more physical. In any event, he can't keep putting the ball on the turf and not block. To me the only difference between PS and MM is toughness.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
I'm not ready to sell any of em short or proclaim any as "the guy" yet. By committee works for now. They all have improvement to make and all can make plays IMO.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Is MM physical enough to play BB? PJ has mentioned a few times he has to get more physical. In any event, he can't keep putting the ball on the turf and not block. To me the only difference between PS and MM is toughness.
There is no reason MM can't be (or isn't now) physical enough. He has the build and he has the feet, speed, and balance. He hasn't really had enough carries for anybody to really decide that anyway, or at least any of us who don't see practice. We have seen the agility and we have seen the breakaway speed.

CHE90

Jolly Good Fellow
His shot? What shot? He had one carry against ND. Against Duke he had one carry, on a 4th and 3 against a D stacking against the interior run, then sat for 4 drives before getting his second shot token carry before Allen came in. Face it, Skov is getting more series on the field than any other back is getting carries. Acting like either Allen or Marshall has gotten anything close to a legit shot these past 2 games is a joke.
For the love of God can you give it a rest already? MM coughs up the ball at a significantly higher rate than the other backs and Allen can't stay healthy to stay on the field. End of story.