IMO reason for our troubles!

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
You're the one using absolutes bud. You said the perspective is to ALWAYS do one thing. I showed that coaches often do the exact opposite thing showing that coaches don't follow that perspective of ALWAYS doing one thing. I'm not controlling what you meant, I'm arguing against what you said. If you didn't mean always as strictly always, you shouldn't have used the word. However the entire basis of your perspective differing than what I was arguing relies on it being a strict absolute, otherwise you concede that sometime you do play for the future.

Tell me how playing Marshall is conceding defeat? Oh wait, it's not, and you're arguing a strawman. The truth is that playing Marshall/Allen has the benefit of helping us next year, and playing Skov doesn't. If Skov were actually helping us win, or even playing to anywhere near an average level for Bbacks under Johnson you'd have an argument that he's helping us this year. Unfortunately we aren't winning, and he isn't playing anywhere near that level. So tell me, outside of an appeal to authority fallacy what reason do we have for believing Skov gives us a better chance to win than Marshall or Allen?

Okay. Let's keep the discussion tied to the context of our recent games, and let's allow each person to explain what they meant.

I'll begin. I understood the context of the discussion to be whether Marshall or Skov deserves the bulk of the carries and the role that preparing guys for next season plays in that decision. You repeat the criteria of preparing for next season here as a reason for giving the bulk of the carries to someone other than Skov.

So, when I used the phrase, "always play," I intended that context: you always put winning that game above preparing for next year. You choose who gets the bulk of the carries on that basis. Now, if you want to say that a strict reading of my words removed from that context can have the meaning you inferred, I'll concede that, but it was not, and is not, my point. Okay, so hopefully, my that point is now clear.

Now, of course, I never said that playing Marshall is conceding defeat. What I intended to communicate by what I said, I just explained. I was responding to your point about preparing guys for next year. I didn't pass judgment on who gave us the best chance to win today, but just asserted that that's the question you ask, and without reference to next year. Of course, when the game is in hand you can look to get guys experience. In other words, if the coach thinks Skov gives us the best chance to win now, he should play Skov and not worry about next year. That was my point.

IIuc, an appeal to authority is not a fallacy in and of itself. It can becomes fallacious if the person to whom appeal is made is not an authority. For example, someone, presumably like yourself, who not only has not seen players competing with each other in practice but also has little experience in assessing talent and how practice translates to performance on the field should not be considered an expert whose opinion should be accepted just because they assert it. Appeal to such an authority would be fallacious.

So, one form of such a fallacious appeal to the authority would be: I assert that Marcus Marshall is a better talent based on a handful of carries in a few games. Prove me wrong. It establishes the true until proven false criteria on the basis of fallacious authority.

On the other hand, someone who has 30+ years of experience watching how practice translates to performance on the field and has watched the performance of players competing with each other in practice--and who has the assistance of coaches with similar experience (albeit for fewer years) advising the decision--would be considered an expert. An appeal to such an authority would not be fallacious.

For completeness sake, it must be noted that the topic under discussion is not an absolute truth but a probable truth. It's not addressing the question of what is true in the sense of "it happened" or "it happens as a rule," but the question of what is most likely to happen. Obviously the expert would have to be a prophet if we were to treat the probable truth of what is most likely to happen as the same as the absolute truth of what will happen.

Beyond that, we only have limited data available to us. In the 2 games against winning FBS opponents, Skov has averaged 3.81 yards/carry and Marcus Marshall has averaged 2.33 yards/carry. Skov has averaged 19.5 yards/catch, and MM has not yet had a reception. The coach says that Skov blocks better.

alagold

Helluva Engineer
How did we get so unbalanced in our recruiting? CPJ has been here for quite some time. Yet (almost) everyone who touches the ball, outside of Justin, is new to the system. What happened along the way? I know Custis didn't pan out and Leggett was injured (along with Summers). Dennis Andrews was kicked off the team. What else has transpired such that our skill guys are so green?Appreciate any feedback on this. I am thinking the same thing might happen next year with our DT's.

well, I wondered why we didn't redshirt ONE of the A/b backs last yr -we had 6 Srs, then lost Andrews who only caught the winning TD vs GaS
seems like poor planning

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
well, I wondered why we didn't redshirt ONE of the A/b backs last yr -we had 6 Srs, then lost Andrews who only caught the winning TD vs GaS
seems like poor planning

I think Laskey was the only running back last year that had not redshirted, and he was a starter (at least 2nd string), so I'm not sure that I understand your question.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
IIuc, an appeal to authority is not a fallacy in and of itself.

Actually that's exactly what it is by definition. Anyways, enough jargon, simply put, just because Johnson says it's true, doesn't mean it is. And after last year's situation at BBack I'm not overly inclined to just take his word on who the best player at the position is this year in light of poor production.

I can respect those that see the potential of MM and desire to see him more. I'm actually in that boat also. What I have little stomach for is targeting single players and condemning them individually for our woes based on pure opinion....that I doubt is based on much football experience or expertise.

I didn't single out anybody. I made a giant post that put plenty of fault with every position on offense. Don't blame me that people largely ignored the rest to defend one of the chosen ones.

And just what are you basing your talent evaluation on?

1) Marshall is an actual running back. Skov is a senior who is trying to learn how to be a running back. No, not bback. Running back. That was my immediate thought after I heard Skov was the starter, and it was a sentiment echoed by the coaching staff a few weeks later. His seeming to rather look for defenders to hit than the best way to pick up yards. In fact a lot of comments that I brought up, lack of vision, lack of big play threat, have been echoed by the coaches recently. The difference probably isn't in the evaluation but more from drawing conclusions from those evaluations.

2) Skov came from Stanford, a place that has a very strong recent history of big backs getting a lot of carries and a lot of yards. So if Skov had the potential to be an ACC caliber featured back, why was he playing fullback instead of running back last year when their leading rusher was a small back who got about 600 yards on the year and none of their top 3 backs were big backs? So the coaches there, who are pretty good in their own right, evaluated him for what, 4 years, and came to the conclusion that he is just a short yardage guy that is usually used for blocking. Now this has the same problems that I mentioned before about not proving it's true, but it certainly is a counter point to the "I'll trust Johnson come hell or high water" spiel.

3) Every BBack we've had here has been a true running back. Why is it that we haven't recruited any true fullbacks, like Skov, to the position while here? Certainly you'd think we'd attract the best running fullbacks in the country because we'd be giving them more touches than anywhere else? Probably because deep down Johnson knows that the true fullbacks like Skov are not ideal for places that can recruit 210+ pound running backs.

4) Numbers even against lesser competition. 6.0 ypc against Alcorn. Not bad, but certainly not great. Just one run over 10 yards, and even against Alcorn state he was stuffed on goal to go from 3 before getting it on the second try. Not a good sign against the level of competition. Still that alone wouldn't worry me if he had improved against Tulane. But he didn't. He posted a 4.5 ypc and only 1 carry of 10 or more yards against another over-matched opponent. That's a bad sign.

5) Since two people brought up comparison to Marshall the last two game, first and foremost Skov's production is simply not getting it done regardless of comparison to anyone else on the team. If he was running for 5.5 a pop and 90+ a game you wouldn't see me asking for Marshall even if Marshall was going for 6 a pop. No he isn't the only one messing up, but he is messing up. But Skov the last two games has been given way more leash than anyone else at the position. He's gotten 39 touches to Marshall's 6, and even after back to back mistakes in the fumble and blown assignment he didn't even sit out a play. He's been allowed plenty of opportunity to get into a rhythm where Marshall has been getting token carries including coming in cold on a drive he didn't even start with his first carry being a 4th and 3 attempt. One had been given every chance to succeed and the other simply hasn't.

Now none of this proves Skov can't it done. Maybe he'll have a breakout game against UNC, their D has been known to cure a lot of ails on offense, and ride the momentum the rest of the way. I hope he does. It'd be great. I just don't have faith that he will because nothing about this entire situation makes me believe he has that kind of potential.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Actually that's exactly what it is by definition. Anyways, enough jargon, simply put, just because Johnson says it's true, doesn't mean it is. And after last year's situation at BBack I'm not overly inclined to just take his word on who the best player at the position is this year in light of poor production.

I didn't single out anybody. I made a giant post that put plenty of fault with every position on offense. Don't blame me that people largely ignored the rest to defend one of the chosen ones.

1) Marshall is an actual running back. Skov is a senior who is trying to learn how to be a running back. No, not bback. Running back. That was my immediate thought after I heard Skov was the starter, and it was a sentiment echoed by the coaching staff a few weeks later. His seeming to rather look for defenders to hit than the best way to pick up yards. In fact a lot of comments that I brought up, lack of vision, lack of big play threat, have been echoed by the coaches recently. The difference probably isn't in the evaluation but more from drawing conclusions from those evaluations.

2) Skov came from Stanford, a place that has a very strong recent history of big backs getting a lot of carries and a lot of yards. So if Skov had the potential to be an ACC caliber featured back, why was he playing fullback instead of running back last year when their leading rusher was a small back who got about 600 yards on the year and none of their top 3 backs were big backs? So the coaches there, who are pretty good in their own right, evaluated him for what, 4 years, and came to the conclusion that he is just a short yardage guy that is usually used for blocking. Now this has the same problems that I mentioned before about not proving it's true, but it certainly is a counter point to the "I'll trust Johnson come hell or high water" spiel.

3) Every BBack we've had here has been a true running back. Why is it that we haven't recruited any true fullbacks, like Skov, to the position while here? Certainly you'd think we'd attract the best running fullbacks in the country because we'd be giving them more touches than anywhere else? Probably because deep down Johnson knows that the true fullbacks like Skov are not ideal for places that can recruit 210+ pound running backs.

4) Numbers even against lesser competition. 6.0 ypc against Alcorn. Not bad, but certainly not great. Just one run over 10 yards, and even against Alcorn state he was stuffed on goal to go from 3 before getting it on the second try. Not a good sign against the level of competition. Still that alone wouldn't worry me if he had improved against Tulane. But he didn't. He posted a 4.5 ypc and only 1 carry of 10 or more yards against another over-matched opponent. That's a bad sign.

5) Since two people brought up comparison to Marshall the last two game, first and foremost Skov's production is simply not getting it done regardless of comparison to anyone else on the team. If he was running for 5.5 a pop and 90+ a game you wouldn't see me asking for Marshall even if Marshall was going for 6 a pop. No he isn't the only one messing up, but he is messing up. But Skov the last two games has been given way more leash than anyone else at the position. He's gotten 39 touches to Marshall's 6, and even after back to back mistakes in the fumble and blown assignment he didn't even sit out a play. He's been allowed plenty of opportunity to get into a rhythm where Marshall has been getting token carries including coming in cold on a drive he didn't even start with his first carry being a 4th and 3 attempt. One had been given every chance to succeed and the other simply hasn't.

Now none of this proves Skov can't it done. Maybe he'll have a breakout game against UNC, their D has been known to cure a lot of ails on offense, and ride the momentum the rest of the way. I hope he does. It'd be great. I just don't have faith that he will because nothing about this entire situation makes me believe he has that kind of potential.

It seems to me that your whole argument reduces to an appeal to your own authority. You even appeal to your authority on last year as evidence against Johnson this year. You don't really understand the nature of an appeal to authority fallacy, so I'm not surprised that you don't recognize it in yourself.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
So what do you think his ceiling is in yards gained this year, rushing yds, avg per rush, rec yds, TDs, etc. I'd love to hear your expert opinion since you seem to have figured his potential out. Im prepared to lay some lumber down today and see who pays up at the end of the year.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Interesting discussion. I don't think there is any doubt that MM has more potential as a running back. However, this is really NOT what the discussion is about. Who gives us the best chance to win now? Well, if you were watching the Duke film (and all the other games for that matter) you would realize that MM, despite having a total of 4 carries against Duke, put the ball on the ground AGAIN. Fumble you say? Even though it didn't appear in the box score because the inept officials didn't pick it up, MM fumbled the ball in one of his 4 attempts and we lost the ball. How many total carries has MM had this season? Now, how many times has the ball come loose? Now, how many yards can we expect from MM before the ball comes out, based on statistics to date? Look, I love MM, but that dude needs to learn how to hang on to the football. Until he does, we don't even need to breath a word about who he should be starting over. End of discussion.

Before you go crazy, I think MM will become one of the most prolific backs in TECH history. He just needs to learn how to value possession. Rant over.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
@Boomergump
Couldn't agree more about MM. I'm so pumped about his potential. There have been a couple of guys I thought were ready for the big time apparently before CPJ concurred. Days and Perkins in particular. In both instances coach was more right than me.....shocking I know.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
@Boomergump
Couldn't agree more about MM. I'm so pumped about his potential. There have been a couple of guys I thought were ready for the big time apparently before CPJ concurred. Days and Perkins in particular. In both instances coach was more right than me.....shocking I know.

CHE90

Jolly Good Fellow
And regarding getting Marcus Allen more carries...I believe he has left 2 of our 3 games with injuries. You can't carry the ball if you are in the locker room with the team doctor.

yellojello

Jolly Good Fellow
Interesting discussion. I don't think there is any doubt that MM has more potential as a running back. However, this is really NOT what the discussion is about. Who gives us the best chance to win now? Well, if you were watching the Duke film (and all the other games for that matter) you would realize that MM, despite having a total of 4 carries against Duke, put the ball on the ground AGAIN. Fumble you say? Even though it didn't appear in the box score because the inept officials didn't pick it up, MM fumbled the ball in one of his 4 attempts and we lost the ball. How many total carries has MM had this season? Now, how many times has the ball come loose? Now, how many yards can we expect from MM before the ball comes out, based on statistics to date? Look, I love MM, but that dude needs to learn how to hang on to the football. Until he does, we don't even need to breath a word about who he should be starting over. End of discussion.

Before you go crazy, I think MM will become one of the most prolific backs in TECH history. He just needs to learn how to value possession. Rant over.

Thank you Boomer. CPJ said the exact same thing btw.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer

Yet there are still those on the board who staunchly contend fumbles are the price of greatness, and regularly coughing it up is little enough for the return. Seems to me such a guy while giving us the "best chance to win" also provides the best chance to lose. It is just so hard to recover from losing the ball, particularly down close or after a hard fought drive down the field.

JorgeJonas

Helluva Engineer
Is it possible that neither Skov nor Marshall gives us the best chance to win now, but rather Allen? If he could stay on the field, he might be the guy who could carry the load.*

*I recognize the "staying on the field" part is of mild significance.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
It seems to me that your whole argument reduces to an appeal to your own authority. .

Did you just skip over "Now this has the same problems that I mentioned before about not proving it's true," and "Now none of this proves Skov can't it done."?

So what do you think his ceiling is in yards gained this year, rushing yds, avg per rush, rec yds, TDs, etc. I'd love to hear your expert opinion since you seem to have figured his potential out. Im prepared to lay some lumber down today and see who pays up at the end of the year.

First off I don't gamble on things I have no control of, or really even on things I just have some control of, so no on that front. Second off in terms of production maybe around 4.8 ypc top end, which is better than he has done in any game against FBS competition for the record. Total yards will be a factor of number of carries. Usually ypc decreases with an increase in total carries so if he were expected to carry it 25+ times it'd be worth taking into consideration. But he likely isn't going to get that many carries so it's not. I don't expect him, or any bback until Johnson shows otherwise in playcalling, to be a significant factor in the passing game receiving, and on TDs he'll probably rack up a ton of TDs the same way Washington did. Being pretty much the only one to get a carry inside the 3. That's not really indicative of anything other than getting a bunch of attempts in goal to go opportunities.

Well, if you were watching the Duke film (and all the other games for that matter) you would realize that MM, despite having a total of 4 carries against Duke, put the ball on the ground AGAIN. Fumble you say? Even though it didn't appear in the box score because the inept officials didn't pick it up, MM fumbled the ball in one of his 4 attempts and we lost the ball.

We lost the ball because we picked up a yard and a half on a 4th and 3, same reason we lost it later in the game. It wasn't a fumble for the same reason the Thomas fumble last year shouldn't have been. Forward progress stopped.

Is it possible that neither Skov nor Marshall gives us the best chance to win now, but rather Allen?

Sure. And Allen would also be returning next year. At this point nobody should have a clear hold of the bback position and all 3 should have a chance. But right now only one is actually getting that chance.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
It seems to me that your whole argument reduces to an appeal to your own authority. You even appeal to your authority on last year as evidence against Johnson this year. You don't really understand the nature of an appeal to authority fallacy, so I'm not surprised that you don't recognize it in yourself.
I'm glad somebody else is your punching bag for the time being. ;) Btw, I agree with all your points in this thread so far.

B Lifsey

Helluva Engineer
...At this point nobody should have a clear hold of the bback position and all 3 should have a chance. But right now only one is actually getting that chance.
Their in-game opportunity should be based on their in-practice performance. If they want more playing time on Saturday they must earn in during the week.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
Their in-game opportunity should be based on their in-practice performance. If they want more playing time on Saturday they must earn in during the week.

It should also be based on their prior in game performance. If a guy does well during the game, it should earn him more opportunities in the following games. Same goes the other way, if you aren't getting it done during the game, then you shouldn't have a stranglehold on the position.

stingyoa$$

Jolly Good Fellow
If I'm PJ, I'm playing the guys who practices well and knows what to do on the field not only running the ball but all the other things like ball security and blocking. Every coach is on the "hot seat", especially PJ. Prior to last year most everyone wanted his head on a platter. College football isn't about "next" year. It's about right now. PJ has to protect his job and that means he's going to play who he feels like gives him the best chance to win....NOW not next year.