If you had to choose

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
I believe any non-GT fan that keeps up with college football would strongly disagree with this statement.
AE87 basically says the reasons here.
Read the link in the So it is written (oslt) thread. The national media doesn't think the ACC is any good and has unbeaten FSU falling in ranking while winning. Yet, they also entertain the possibility of 2-loss georgie playing their way into the playoffs by winning the sec. A 10-2 GT playing in the OB after beating an sec contender while a 13-0 FSU plays in the playoffs has people talking about the ACC and GT positively. A 10-3 GT who lost to SEC #4 playing in the OB with no ACC team in playoffs, probably only pwr5 left out, does not.
It’s not just ESPN that’s hyping the SEC machine. I was listening to the radio this morning and literally everyone is saying FSU doesn’t even deserve the top 4 because they play nobody and that all these teams in the SEC West are better than they are. Luckily the radio host ripped one guy a new one when he asked what “his” top 4 was which included Oregon whose best wins are MSU and Utah.

I’m not trying to say that beating UGA is more important than an ACCCG. What I’m saying is that THIS year with the record we currently have, if I had to choose I think it looks 1000x better for us to beat UGA and lose to FSU because the whole country thinks FSU isn’t a top 4 team and us beating them would only be an indication of FSU being weak and not us being good. If we beat FSU, we won’t be the ones being talked about in the offseason. The offseason will just be people rejoicing in the fact that they were right about FSU being weak and wouldn’t have a chance if they were in the SEC.

OldJacketFan

Helluva Engineer
I've read all the responses and I admit, I'm in conflict. No fan wants a win over ugag worse that I do but a championship is a championship (regardless of the NCAA). If I HAD to choose one THIS year it would be an a** kicking of the dwags in the cesspool!

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
AE87 basically says the reasons here.

It’s not just ESPN that’s hyping the SEC machine. I was listening to the radio this morning and literally everyone is saying FSU doesn’t even deserve the top 4 because they play nobody and that all these teams in the SEC West are better than they are. Luckily the radio host ripped one guy a new one when he asked what “his” top 4 was which included Oregon whose best wins are MSU and Utah.

I’m not trying to say that beating UGA is more important than an ACCCG. What I’m saying is that THIS year with the record we currently have, if I had to choose I think it looks 1000x better for us to beat UGA and lose to FSU because the whole country thinks FSU isn’t a top 4 team and us beating them would only be an indication of FSU being weak and not us being good. If we beat FSU, we won’t be the ones being talked about in the offseason. The offseason will just be people rejoicing in the fact that they were right about FSU being weak and wouldn’t have a chance if they were in the SEC.
If your goal is to gain the most respect you can from the guys who are endlessly promoting the SEC then you are going to be disappointed either way. If we beat UGA, it is just going to get brushed under the rug. The national media won't care and the local media will brush it under the rug after a couple of days because they have to promote the SEC Championship which will likely be UGA vs. Alabama. To me, beating the unbeaten #1 team to claim a championship on a national stage, with many watching because of the Playoff implications is a much better way to earn respect. Most people in the country aren't going to say, hur hur, they lost to UGA. Most probably won't even know who won the game between us because it is meaningless outside of our region and it won't get much national TV coverage no matter who wins.

ClydeBrick

Ramblin' Wreck
Out of Conference wins is something that will go along way toward overall ACC respectability. And we need our ACC brothers who have fall rivalries with OOC teams to step up with us too.

In my opinion, given the current climate in CFB, a win by GT (who'd just lost to UGAg) over F$U lets the media say this: The ACC is weak, look at how that horrible D of GT shut down the Criminols and that high-school offense scored on F$U. The headline would be "F$U Exposed", not "GT is legit". An additional shame will be the mutts/SEC will be "claiming" the ACC Championship.

When we beat UGAg, it may only satisfy our fanbase - but guess what, this year - winning the ACC would only do the same - no national respect is coming from what would be perceived as exposing F$U as frauds.

If F$U had been steam-rolling everyone this season my take on this question would be different. And F$U getting leapfrogged in the standings would never have happened.

Make no mistake, if we get to play F$U in the ACCCG, I will pull for GT to shut down F$U, and be extremely happy when we do - regardless of what happens on 11/29. But the OP in this thread gave us two choices; ACC Championship or beat UGAg. My choice for personal satisfaction and, in my opinion, positive outward program perception is GT beats UGAg. OTOH, if I am just getting what I want, then I would want to win them all. :D

Besides, its not, "yell TO HELL WITH THE ACC, like his daddy used to do." ;)

COJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
I don’t even see how anybody can pick ACCCG over UGA. No matter what we do the best we would get is the Orange Bowl. We beat UGA, FSU wins National Championship again, then the ACC looks pretty damn good. We lose to UGA and beat FSU, then the ACC just looks like crap and that team that lost to the 5th best team in the SEC beat FSU and everyone was right about FSU being overrated.

In no way, shape, or form does us losing to UGA and beating FSU make us look better than beating UGA and losing to FSU. And again, the Orange Bowl is what we would most likely get either way.
What Jeffgt14 said!

sidewalkGTfan

Helluva Engineer
If your goal is to gain the most respect you can from the guys who are endlessly promoting the SEC then you are going to be disappointed either way. If we beat UGA, it is just going to get brushed under the rug. The national media won't care and the local media will brush it under the rug after a couple of days because they have to promote the SEC Championship which will likely be UGA vs. Alabama. To me, beating the unbeaten #1 team to claim a championship on a national stage, with many watching because of the Playoff implications is a much better way to earn respect. Most people in the country aren't going to say, hur hur, they lost to UGA. Most probably won't even know who won the game between us because it is meaningless outside of our region and it won't get much national TV coverage no matter who wins.
I agree with this.

One opponent has lost 2 games to teams with a combined record of 10-9. The other opponent is the defending National Champs and hasn't lost a game in 2 years.

worthco jacket

Georgia Tech Fan
Obviously we all want both, but if you had to choose Between going to the ACCCG and beating FSU, or beating UGAg, what would you choose?

Well its really not like the dilemma facing Florida fans. The generational divide there is quite stark. The older fans want to beat Georgia every year the younger ones can't stand FSU. For us, it is a no brainer: THWG should be a mantra embedded into the psyche of every Yellow Jacket regardless of the circumstances.

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
Gosh, after reading this thread I can't help but shake my head. While I was in Atlanta for school, the UGA fans were awful, and I have grown a hatred for them as much as the rest of you. Once you get outside of Georgia, no one cares about UGA or our rivalry. Winning the ACC would do incredibly more for us than a win against UGA.

If it wasn't for the playoff money, I wouldn't want any ACC schools in the playoffs. I hate free seafood university and everything that school stands for. Why in the world would I want them to win anything? I'm not going to feel some vicarious happiness because an ACC foe my team lost to wins playoff games.

I want us to pound UGA back into the Stone Age, but to think beating a team no one cares about outside of Georgia is better than winning a power 5 conference is laughable.

MacDaddy2

Jolly Good Fellow
I hate them, won't watch them, hope they die in a fire (wait a minute, thats too far!), but we are in the ACC not the state of Georgia conference. ACC title all damn day.

Side note: the obsession of this game with our fan base is exactly the reason we need the series to end so we can move the hell on .

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
I hate them, won't watch them, hope they die in a fire (wait a minute, thats too far!), but we are in the ACC not the state of Georgia conference. ACC title all damn day.

Side note: the obsession of this game with our fan base is exactly the reason we need the series to end so we can move the hell on .

If I were a moderator, this post would earn a ban. You crossed the line from uninformed opinion to h8 not str8. To be a GT fan is both up with the white and gold AND down with the red and black. Quitters quit and fighters fight.

Ggee87

Helluva Engineer
Im with the majority. Beat UGag. The reasons are different from year to year. FSU is basically dropping each week for being undefeated... crazy i know. Somebody has to slow down the SEC hype machine. We have to do our part in that. I think that we can beat both teams if given the chance... but beating an SEC team will help the ACC a ton. We need to show out as a conference this season. The more respect the conference gets... the more our.wins.count for us. Period.

RamblinCharger

Helluva Engineer
I just can't grasp this concept. You are basically saying that winning the ACC championship is actually a bad thing unless we also beat UGA. To me that is just a sad mindset and one that I hope our players don't have. If UNC knocks off Duke this Thursday then they get to play for a championship. It's a shame that their own fans won't even look at that as a positive unless they beat UGA.
You must not have any friends that are SEC fans.

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
You must not have any friends that are SEC fans.
The vast majority of my friends are SEC fans. I am just not all that affected by them beating the SEC drum anymore, nor do I think beating UGA would change it much. It would certainly be fun to rub it in some of my UGA buddies faces but at the end of the day, that is all I would have to show for it and it would likely be temporary. If they came back and beat us in 2015 then all the fun would be over. If we were to beat the undefeated #1 team in the country to win a conference championship it would not only gain more national recognition but would be a lasting memory for all GT fans. You don't get to beat #1 teams in championship games very often.

RamblinCharger

Helluva Engineer
The vast majority of my friends are SEC fans. I am just not all that affected by them beating the SEC drum anymore, nor do I think beating UGA would change it much. It would certainly be fun to rub it in some of my UGA buddies faces but at the end of the day, that is all I would have to show for it and it would likely be temporary. If they came back and beat us in 2015 then all the fun would be over. If we were to beat the undefeated #1 team in the country to win a conference championship it would not only gain more national recognition but would be a lasting memory for all GT fans. You don't get to beat #1 teams in championship games very often.
Recruits listen to the SEC is better than everyone garbage. The ACC looking good and GT beating our in state rival just seems much more important to me but I guess we'll just have to disagree on that. Winning both games if we get the opportunity would be great and that is something I know we can agree on.