If a change is made...

rjl1990

Georgia Tech Fan
Worth a look, for sure. He should be available. Presently at Missouri State:

"Petrino has directed his college teams to nine bowl games, including the first Bowl Championship Series (BCS) bowl games for both the Louisville Cardinals and the Arkansas Razorbacks in their programs' histories. His teams have achieved four 10-win seasons along with six AP top-25 finishes."
I am an Arkansas alum, but married into a Tech family. My wife and I were season ticket holders during most of Paul Johnson's tenure. That's beside the point. As a Hog fan, I watched the game Saturday. Dude can still coach! The hogs had some holes in the secondary due to injuries, and Missouri State exploited them almost the whole game. He also pulled a heck of a lot of dudes from the transfer portal to play at Missouri State. I just kind of get the feeling that he would like to end his career at a higher level. Read some of the posts after mine, and I understand, but, with the finances as they are, and so many talking about getting an experienced head coach, that has proven success, especially on offense... well, if you could get a guy like that for a few years, he would right the ship. Blessings and peace to all Tech fans! JMVHO.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
If you think Gus malzahn, butch jones, any option coach, Bobby freaking Petrino, would be a good candidate please…stop telling people.

What is wrong with some of y’all?😩😩
Nothing is wrong with him. It was stansbury posting and his interest in patrino makes sense. Todd is an idiot beyond all idiots. Been saying it for years. Now only are folks listening

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
I was in the stands so didn't see this at the time, but I remember seeing a clip from the Tenn-GT game. There was a penalty against GT. He didn't respond to the referee. The referee walked over to him to see what he wanted to do, but Jones signaled to him to wait. He had a clueless look on his face waiting for someone on the headset to tell him whether they should accept the penalty or not. That was after a lot of the bad press for appearing to be a clueless coach. In that clip he looked the part. I wondered how someone like that was ever able to get a P5 HC position, and was glad that he wasn't at GT. Now, it seems like we have that guy in a lot of ways.
I don't know about Butch and "champions for life" but what I really want to know is how they got that dog to chase his tail like that...kind of reminds me of myself in my dotage.

rjl1990

Georgia Tech Fan
As a Falcons fan, I am a hard pass on Petrino...
I get that, but that was about 15 years ago, 2007, I think. Pretty sure people, even coaches, can mature and grow over time. I have liked the Falcons since the days of Bartkowski, White Shoes Johnson, Jerry Glanville, etc. Pretty sure Petrino wasn't the cause of the Falcons issues.

rjl1990

Georgia Tech Fan
As an aside, please understand that I have no idea the route Tech should go right now. I am just putting a name out there that may be attainable for a good price, who is definitely a good football coach, and who may have something to prove as he is 61 now.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Grayson McCall was a 2-star recruit and the #66 dual threat QB in his class. His only other offers besides Coastal were Army, UT-Chattanooga, Gardner Webb, Eastern Kentucky, and App State. I definitely would not classify him as an “all-world” QB, he’s definitely benefitted from being in Chadwell’s system.

In Chawell’s first year of his current stint in 2019 they rotated between Fred Payton who is currently at FCS Mercer, and Bryce Carpenter who was another 2-star recruit and the #98 Pro-style QB in his class. I think we can definitely find some guys to play QB who are better than that. We have 4 different QBs on our roster who were rated higher than McCall, and Yates was also higher. I know recruiting rankings aren’t everything when it comes to player’s development and skill ceiling, but it’s a good measuring stick. No reason he couldn’t find somebody else to play QB just as good as McCall.

The biggest difference between Chadwell’s 2019 5-7 record and his 25-4 record since has been the defense. In 2019 they allowed 30.5PPG (88th in the country) and finished rated 114th in DFEI.
In 2020 they only allowed 20.2PPG (19th in the country) and finished 16th in DFEI
In 2021 they allowed 21.6PPG (25th in the country) and were 5th in DFEI
They’ve taken a step back on the defensive side of the ball from last year, but that’s mostly because they lost 8 starters and another handful of guys from their 2 deep from last year.

I really don’t think who’s playing QB for Coastal should make any difference in whether or not we hire him.

I mean, you have to also give a coach credit for finding and developing talent. That's something that is needed at GT...if anything, developing a 2 star QB into one of the most efficient passers in college football history (it's true...look it up) is nothing but a positive. If you can't find diamonds in the rough and develop them at GT, you're not going to last long. Ross, O'Leary, Gailey, Paul Johnson all recruited to their system and developed lightly recruited talent. IMO, it's one of the most important aspects of being a GT coach.

Also, his time at Charleston Southern is another point of reference. He did pretty well there. Coastal Carolina wasn't his only show.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
I get that, but that was about 15 years ago, 2007, I think. Pretty sure people, even coaches, can mature and grow over time. I have liked the Falcons since the days of Bartkowski, White Shoes Johnson, Jerry Glanville, etc. Pretty sure Petrino wasn't the cause of the Falcons issues.
Well let's think about that:
In 2007 when he was 46 years old he promised his boss that he wasn't interested in another position and then a few hours after that he flew away to Arkansas without notifying anyone.
In 2011 when he was 50 years old he had a motorcycle wreck with his mistress who was a former student-athlete and current employee who got her position because of the affair.
In 2018 when he was 57 years old he totally lost control of his team after an out of control tirade at the players.

I agree that a person can grow and mature over time, but at what point should a 61 year old man reach that maturity?

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Why? As it makes sense for Tech football? Blessings, and Peace!

If you can ignore the moral failures and the Louisville dumpster fire, then sure, he'd be just dandy.

Call me shallow, but I don't want a man as HC who when you google him, this is the first picture that pops up...

1663642915384.png

steebu

Ramblin' Wreck
I’ll play. I’ve said this before: Bill Bedenbaugh.

Coached at Valdosta State, so has some ties to the state. Currently the O-Line coach at Oklahoma - been in that role since 2013. Probably the best OL coach in the country. Solves an immediate problem.

Also: was co-offensive coordinator and worked with The Man-Crush of My Life: Lincoln Riley. Solves another immediate problem.

rjl1990

Georgia Tech Fan
In 2007 when he was 46 years old he promised his boss that he wasn't interested in another position and then a few hours after that he flew away to Arkansas without notifying anyone.
In 2011 when he was 50 years old he had a motorcycle wreck with his mistress who was a former student-athlete and current employee who got her position because of the affair.
In 2018 when he was 57 years old he totally lost control of his team after an out of control tirade at the players.

I agree that a person can grow and mature over time, but at what point should a 61 year old man reach that maturity?
Appreciate the convo. In fairness, he did take Arkansas to a number 5 national ranking. But, honestly, I only know what saw on Saturday, and what I saw was a bunch of underdogs play their butts off against a nearly top 10 team at their place. Agree that he has a ton of baggage. Peace and Blessings.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
I mean, you have to also give a coach credit for finding and developing talent. That's something that is needed at GT...if anything, developing a 2 star QB into one of the most efficient passers in college football history (it's true...look it up) is nothing but a positive. If you can't find diamonds in the rough and develop them at GT, you're not going to last long. Ross, O'Leary, Gailey, Paul Johnson all recruited to their system and developed lightly recruited talent. IMO, it's one of the most important aspects of being a GT coach.

Also, his time at Charleston Southern is another point of reference. He did pretty well there. Coastal Carolina wasn't his only show.
I agree, and I wasn’t knocking McCall or Chadwell. Moreso just saying that McCall isn’t some all world talent like Trevor Lawrence or Justin Fields, and that Chadwell could definitely find somebody to fill his role should be come here. If anything it’s more praise to both of them because Chadwell and his offense has allowed McCall to turn himself from an afterthought into a legitimate NFL prospect. There is something to be said for that.

Chadwell has won everywhere he’s been, and has finished 1st or tied for 1st in his conference/division 3 times in his last 5 years as full time head coach across Charleston Southern and Coastal. He’s 93-54 overall, and his only losing seasons (3 of them) have been in his first year at a new job. He has more 10+ win seasons (5) than losing seasons. To me he really should be a slam dunk, no doubter.

rjl1990

Georgia Tech Fan

No argument here. Just stating what I think. Petrino has had a lot of ups and downs over the years. I started all this off just by looking at how well coached his Missouri State team was against Arkansas, and that at his age he may be looking for a last redemption, but dude can still coach. Appreciate the back and forth. Peace and Blessings.

slugboy

Staff member
Worth a look, for sure. He should be available. Presently at Missouri State:

"Petrino has directed his college teams to nine bowl games, including the first Bowl Championship Series (BCS) bowl games for both the Louisville Cardinals and the Arkansas Razorbacks in their programs' histories. His teams have achieved four 10-win seasons along with six AP top-25 finishes."
I do not want him hanging around our volleyball team

rjl1990

Georgia Tech Fan
Wouldn't be my pick, but there is another up tempo running spread-option offense HC who is coaching at an FCS, soon to be FBS school close by:

Glad you first stated that he wouldn't be your pick. Although, you are putting this out there after pointing out Petrino's faults, pretty sure Rich Rod has a little baggage, too. Peace, brother.

rjl1990

Georgia Tech Fan
Glad you first stated that he wouldn't be your pick. Although, you are putting this out there after pointing out Petrino's faults, pretty sure Rich Rod has a little baggage, too. Peace,

Glad you first stated that he wouldn't be your pick. Although, you are putting this out there after pointing out Petrino's faults, pretty sure Rich Rod has a little baggage, too. Peace, brother.

Wouldn't be my pick, but there is another up tempo running spread-option offense HC who is coaching at an FCS, soon to be FBS school close by:

Kudos, RonJohn, I responded without looking at the subtleties of your post. I will openly eat crow on that one. Well played.